Ryder Cup 2021 Teams

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Why do they need to change the amount of picks ? The method works fine for Europe and they 9/10 get the right balance - the US chop and change their methods constantly and especially after they lose another Ryder Cup

The Ryder Cup gives a lot of players something to aim for - when they prob never get a chance of a major etc

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I want 12 captain's picks. The drama and bitching would be amazing.

Imagine a captain not picking someone who is high up in the rankings because they think they are bad in a team environment, cough Reed cough.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Imagine a captain not picking someone who is high up in the rankings because they think they are bad in a team environment, cough Reed cough.
They'd never leave Reed out, he's a strong match play player I think. But it would be great to see the team announcements, they could do it live announcing the names one by one alternately. (y)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
They'd never leave Reed out, he's a strong match play player I think. But it would be great to see the team announcements, they could do it live announcing the names one by one alternately. (y)
I imagine if you were in the European team then Reed is one of the names you would not want to see against you. He thrives in this environment, unlike so many of the US team.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Firstly, why does it need to conform to the way other sports work? In Football, Rugby etc you have a squad to pick from - a squad of 25(?) All have the same number to pick from.
Golf is, certainly at Tour level, a primarily solo sport - all of a sudden youre playing 12 a side. Any other sport that does that? I don't know...
Have a set number of events, say, 30 on each Tour starting at a set date, finishing at a set date.
As now, players have to play a certain number of events on their Tour.
Top 5 from the Tour events, top 5 from the World points ( as Europe does now) plus 2 picks.
I doubt you'd get agreement but that's the way I'd like to see it.

Really don't see why either tour should give up the freedom to select their own team, their own way. No reason why they should follow the same method - a compromise will suit neither side. The tours (mainly the European Tour) insist on eligibility criteria to encourage the big names play in their big tournaments.

Davis Cup is comparable, Leon Smith picks the GB team that he thinks is most capable of winning the tie. He knows the players, their form, their relationships to one another etc. Nobody tells him who he must pick.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site

One of the oddest scenarios: Bubba Watson was 7th in the world and couldn't get a pick, then ended up being a vice-captain the same year

sunshine

Visit site

Have you not watched the Ryder Cup before? Reed is the first name on the US team sheet, automatic captain's pick if he doesn't qualify.

sunshine

Visit site
Firstly, why does it need to conform to the way other sports work? In Football, Rugby etc you have a squad to pick from - a squad of 25(?) All have the same number to pick from.
Golf is, certainly at Tour level, a primarily solo sport - all of a sudden youre playing 12 a side. Any other sport that does that? I don't know...
Have a set number of events, say, 30 on each Tour starting at a set date, finishing at a set date.
As now, players have to play a certain number of events on their Tour.
Top 5 from the Tour events, top 5 from the World points ( as Europe does now) plus 2 picks.
I doubt you'd get agreement but that's the way I'd like to see it.

You can't follow the same qualification process for both teams. The US players are all on the same tour competing in the same tournaments. The Europeans are playing across different tours and the European Tour uses the Ryder Cup as an incentive to play its events. Very different objectives and priorities.

sunshine

Visit site
It would to me, I don't want to watch Woods and Mickelson taking on Westwood and Poulter but you can bet Sky and, more importantly, the American networks do.

Money via media exposure. As above, Tiger and Phil draw the crowds (and money) but they're not the best players.

Many people would rather watch Woods and Mickelson ahead of Cantlay and Na. At the end of the day, the Ryder Cup is an exhibition match and is all about entertainment.

There is obviously a tipping point where Tiger and Phil can no longer compete and it stops being entertaining because the competition is one-sided.

D

Deleted member 15344

Many people would rather watch Woods and Mickelson ahead of Cantlay and Na. At the end of the day, the Ryder Cup is an exhibition match and is all about entertainment.

There is obviously a tipping point where Tiger and Phil can no longer compete and it stops being entertaining because the competition is one-sided.

Sorry but that’s not true at all

It’s not an “exhibition match”

It’s a competition and very highly thought off competition that has produced a lot of drama as well as contraversial moments - the Ryder Cup became one of the most competitive tournaments when Europe and indeed Seve joined in

If you think it’s just an exhibition then I would look back at some of the highlights from any Ryder Cup since 1985

It’s about winning now not entertainment

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Have you not watched the Ryder Cup before? Reed is the first name on the US team sheet, automatic captain's pick if he doesn't qualify.
I have watched the Ryder Cup, so no need for the condescending comment (y)

I also remember reading about a hundred times how unpopular the guy is with basically everyone on tour. I also remember him losing his 2 pairs matches in Paris. And I also remember there being a bit of a public fallout over the fact that he wasn't paired with Jordan Spieth there, when it had been a successful partnership before...

I would pick the guy if I was the US captain, and I also love that he is a bit of a rascal on the pro circuit as opposed to the rest, who generally seem like a bunch of nice guys. But as an example of leaving out a great player simply for a personality clash, there is no better candidate.

sunshine

Visit site
I have watched the Ryder Cup, so no need for the condescending comment (y)

I also remember reading about a hundred times how unpopular the guy is with basically everyone on tour. I also remember him losing his 2 pairs matches in Paris. And I also remember there being a bit of a public fallout over the fact that he wasn't paired with Jordan Spieth there, when it had been a successful partnership before...

I would pick the guy if I was the US captain, and I also love that he is a bit of a rascal on the pro circuit as opposed to the rest, who generally seem like a bunch of nice guys. But as an example of leaving out a great player simply for a personality clash, there is no better candidate.

I agree they all hate him. Still first name on the team sheet.

sunshine

Visit site
Sorry but that’s not true at all

It’s not an “exhibition match”

It’s a competition and very highly thought off competition that has produced a lot of drama as well as contraversial moments - the Ryder Cup became one of the most competitive tournaments when Europe and indeed Seve joined in

If you think it’s just an exhibition then I would look back at some of the highlights from any Ryder Cup since 1985

It’s about winning now not entertainment

I think it was Rory who called it an exhibition match. He's correct. It's all about entertainment.

I love the Ryder Cup.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think it was Rory who called it an exhibition match. He's correct. It's all about entertainment.

I love the Ryder Cup.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....2010/sep/21/rory-mcilroy-ryder-cup-exhibition

"Next week is going to be fantastic. It's definitely not an exhibition, it's a great spectacle. I said exhibition last year when I was not focused on a team event."

The Ryder Cup is a competition not an exhibition

All sport can be classed as entertainment- the Open is entertainment, The Masters etc. But a golf tournament where people “compete” against each other to pick up a highly sought after trophy is a competition- and very much fiercely fought competition. Imagine someone saying to Seve or Poulter that it’s just an exhibition and just think how they would react

Is the picture of someone winning an exhibition or a competition

3ECA02D2-A17E-4E67-AE39-EC317E839E65.jpeg

D

Deleted member 18588

The Ryder Cup is a little Marmite mixed with vanilla.

Some people are well into it and consider it a very important competition.

Some others view it as a glorified exhibition.

The remainder seem to consider it to be quite interesting to watch but will not build their personal schedule around watching every minute.

Obviously, in any event, we on a golf forum have to remember that we may not be looking at it objectively.