Team Europe Ryder Cup Press Conference - Tuesday 8th Jan

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Errmmm, Thomas Bjorn 🤔

Who are there rivals for the post. In a few years time we will be able to pick from potentially Gmac, Rory, rose, stenson, Garcia etc. Did we have a plethora or previous winners available.

To me, we generally select players who have ended their proper careers but are respected for their exploits. Those exploits are of course relative, but we hardly pick unknown players. I don’t have a massive knowledge of golf prior to tiger tbh, but do we have many past major winners yet to captain us?

D

Deleted member 15344

What is it they say about exception rather than rule?

Torrance , Monty , Bjorn , Gallacher - four guys who didn’t win a major but won the Ryder Cup as Captain - Faldo , 6 majors and awful as a skipper

Europe it appears just look at the guys who have had successful Ryder Cup careers - especially since 2002.

Langer , Woosnam and Ollie are the recent major winners to be successful as captain

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Torrance , Monty , Bjorn , Gallacher - four guys who didn’t win a major but won the Ryder Cup as Captain - Faldo , 6 majors and awful as a skipper

Europe it appears just look at the guys who have had successful Ryder Cup careers - especially since 2002.

Langer , Woosnam and Ollie are the recent major winners to be successful as captain

I’m not saying that winning a major has any relevance to winning a Ryder cup. Simply that the Captains for both teams are generally picked based on having good careers. My whole argument was against the old adage of good player makes bad manager and vice versa used from a footy analogy.

I don’t think that because players without a major to their names appear more successful that we would ignore the players I previously mentioned and offer it to less successful players.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Papas, I think it comes down to the personality of the person rather than pure playing ability. If you can merge a team personality and ability then that is great, the ultimate really but sometimes the absolute selfishness required in golf perhaps doesn't lend itself to certain people leading. Bjorn, Mcginley were both a big part of the ET set up and they earned the captaincy through that route rather than pure playing ability. Both fitted the role superbly.

It will be interesting going forwards as more and more talent goes across to the USA. Will future captains still have that ET heartbeat? Probably not.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
And then there was Faldo, great selection of majors.

Remind me of his tenure!

Actually don't get me started on Sir Nick and his sandwich list.

😫😫😫