My Ryder Cup Experience

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't know if anyone's interested but just thought I'd let you guys know how my trip to The Ryder Cup went

Practice Day

Up at 04.30 to catch coach transfer from St Paul, about an hour to Hazeltine (this got better at the weekend)
Straight to the merchandise tent (thought we would get this out of the way at the start) wallet much lighter, checked our bags into the bag-drop and off to enjoy the golf. Managed to see plenty of golf, after enough walking settled for seats in the stand behind the 8th green. Was there when the Europeans dragged the heckler out of the crowd to sink the putt for $100

Day 1

Straight to the 1st tee (or as close as we could get) for the amazing atmosphere at the start. All seats long gone, the Americans reserving special seats for their singing section, who seemed to have a free licence to roam the whole venue as and when they chose. As we had our wives with us, we decided it was probably not realistic to follow groups around, so decided to get some seats in the grandstand on the 9th to use as our base, had brilliant view of 9th and 18th green from there, also big screen opposite so wouldn't miss much. Saw some great moments including Sergio and Ricky chip in.

Day 2

Again down to the 1st for tee off, then thought we would try the 16th Par 5 for the drama, no luck there so back to 9th, already full, but did manage to get some seats in the stand by the 18th green, by lunchtime we were front row. Was probably only 20ft from Westwood when he missed that putt :(

Day 3

We made a decision on the 1st day, our goal for the singles would be to sit on 16th, so as soon as the gates open was a mile run to the stand trying to get seats. (haven't run for nearly 20yrs) Somehow I made it and just managed to bag 4 seats centre of the stand perfect view :thup:
We were informed by the steward that 80% of matches would finish here, so looked like a good decision. How right he was, so much drama there, and 3 European wins at the hole. Big screen too, so none of the action missed

Overall Impression

I have to say the organisation was spot-on, food stands, toilets, merchandise stores, were all as you can imagine so busy, but so well organised with plenty off staff so never more than a few minutes wait at any of these. If we left the grandstand, our ticket number was taken and we had 30 minutes to return to retain our seat.

I've read a lot of reports on the American fans, but can only say what I personally saw or heard. 99% of them were brilliant, and even the couple of idiots we encountered were soon put in their place by their fellow countrymen, and none of them said anything while a player was on a shot.

In fact on the final day, I had some great banter with the group of Americans I was sat close too (exactly the way it should be IMHO) so much so I nearly lost my voice

To sum up, one of the most amazing experiences of my life, I thought us losing would take some of the gloss off, but it hasn't, an incredible experience

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't know if anyone's interested but just thought I'd let you guys know how my trip to The Ryder Cup went

Practice Day

Up at 04.30 to catch coach transfer from St Paul, about an hour to Hazeltine (this got better at the weekend)
Straight to the merchandise tent (thought we would get this out of the way at the start) wallet much lighter, checked our bags into the bag-drop and off to enjoy the golf. Managed to see plenty of golf, after enough walking settled for seats in the stand behind the 8th green. Was there when the Europeans dragged the heckler out of the crowd to sink the putt for $100

Day 1

Straight to the 1st tee (or as close as we could get) for the amazing atmosphere at the start. All seats long gone, the Americans reserving special seats for their singing section, who seemed to have a free licence to roam the whole venue as and when they chose. As we had our wives with us, we decided it was probably not realistic to follow groups around, so decided to get some seats in the grandstand on the 9th to use as our base, had brilliant view of 9th and 18th green from there, also big screen opposite so wouldn't miss much. Saw some great moments including Sergio and Ricky chip in.

Day 2

Again down to the 1st for tee off, then thought we would try the 16th Par 5 for the drama, no luck there so back to 9th, already full, but did manage to get some seats in the stand by the 18th green, by lunchtime we were front row. Was probably only 20ft from Westwood when he missed that putt :(

Day 3

We made a decision on the 1st day, our goal for the singles would be to sit on 16th, so as soon as the gates open was a mile run to the stand trying to get seats. (haven't run for nearly 20yrs) Somehow I made it and just managed to bag 4 seats centre of the stand perfect view :thup:
We were informed by the steward that 80% of matches would finish here, so looked like a good decision. How right he was, so much drama there, and 3 European wins at the hole. Big screen too, so none of the action missed

Overall Impression

I have to say the organisation was spot-on, food stands, toilets, merchandise stores, were all as you can imagine so busy, but so well organised with plenty off staff so never more than a few minutes wait at any of these. If we left the grandstand, our ticket number was taken and we had 30 minutes to return to retain our seat.

I've read a lot of reports on the American fans, but can only say what I personally saw or heard. 99% of them were brilliant, and even the couple of idiots we encountered were soon put in their place by their fellow countrymen, and none of them said anything while a player was on a shot.

In fact on the final day, I had some great banter with the group of Americans I was sat close too (exactly the way it should be IMHO) so much so I nearly lost my voice

To sum up, one of the most amazing experiences of my life, I thought us losing would take some of the gloss off, but it hasn't, an incredible experience

Really enjoyed reading this!

You've further clarified my opinion that i have no interest in ever going to watch it though, all that money to see very little or watch on the TV. I'm sure the atmosphere is incredible, but i hated Wentworth when there was 25k people following a full course of players.

50k following 8 players, not for me.

I'm sure i'd be proven wrong, but dont think i'll ever find out ;)

Hickory_Hacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Good visit, I'm surprised that the 99% that you mentioned wasn't down to around 90! Good though and maybe the Europeans were dramatizing things.

My only Ryder Cup was Valderrama and like you I'd recommend making it a week's holiday, worth it.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A friend of mine went over and said the same, the fans were nothing like what they came over on the TV, there were a couple of idiots but to be fair he said there were some from both sides

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Really enjoyed reading this!

You've further clarified my opinion that i have no interest in ever going to watch it though, all that money to see very little or watch on the TV. I'm sure the atmosphere is incredible, but i hated Wentworth when there was 25k people following a full course of players.

50k following 8 players, not for me.

I'm sure i'd be proven wrong, but dont think i'll ever find out ;)

I know what you're saying which is why we chose to sit in the stands the majority of the time, and the wife's not the tallest.

As it was her treat for my 50th I thought I'd better take her into consideration :D

If you want to see every shot then TV is definitely the way to go, but the atmosphere was just incredible and something I'll never forget

Even before I started playing golf the Ryder Cup was my favourite sporting event, it's just unique, and this was a once in a lifetime trip for us

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know what you're saying which is why we chose to sit in the stands the majority of the time, and the wife's not the tallest.

As it was her treat for my 50th I thought I'd better take her into consideration :D

If you want to see every shot then TV is definitely the way to go, but the atmosphere was just incredible and something I'll never forget

Even before I started playing golf the Ryder Cup was my favourite sporting event, it's just unique, and this was a once in a lifetime trip for us

Yeah the atmosphere is definitely the sell. then again, is there any sport that isnt better watched on TV (for actual viewing)? probably not

D

Deleted member 16999

Great to see you enjoyed it, at Medinah I went to the Beer Tent on the course, huge TV screens and the atmosphere was superb, some of the people in the stands around 18 got to see very little golf over the first 2 days.
Being there as you say, once in a lifetime, can't be beaten.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site

Awesome!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Excellent write up and you seemed to have confirmed that in the main it was a handful of idiots and that they were dealt with promptly and that overall the atmosphere was pretty fair when the players were over the ball. There was one or two incidents, highlighted in the media but with that many people, hardly surprising. Sounds like a brilliant experience and glad you enjoyed it. Paris in two years time???

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good to hear you enjoyed it ,i went to Gleneagles in 2014 and enjoyed it but i think its better watching it on TV, and your right not all Americans idiots i met loads of cracking American people when we were in Killarney last week.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great write up fella, life is all about experiences, Reliving the experience when you're sitting bouncing the grandkids on your knee telling them how you went to America to watch the Ryder cup is a great memory to have, you might see more on TV but you weren't at the game. for me the Ryder cup at gleneagles was one of the best, we managed to,get seats at the first tee and the atmosphere was brilliant.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hazeltine was the 13th Ryder cup I have been to - home and away. Like you it was a good experience overall but I would add a couple of comments.

They let too many people in - 55,000 people per match day was too many as most of the previous ones have been in the area of half that number. I understand Paris will be over 60K per day. Just because you can sell that many tickets it doesn't mean you should!

There s a cultural difference in the US to Europe about cheering misses / bad shots - they do it in the same way we would cheer if the opposition misses a penalty at football. Just need to accept it.

They sell a LOT of beer - not surprising you get some issues - generally very good behaviour and the US PGA finally got heavy with telling people to respect the players - better late than never.

Strategy for seeing more golf - pick 3 places and move between them - impossible to follow a match.

Overall a good event and the better team won - have never seen such quick greens and neither had 1 or 2 of our team by the look of it.

PS if you want to avoid pain in the merchandise tent wait until the Monday when they sell everything off half price. :D

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Were there many people inside the ropes again following every match? I seem to remember that was an issue at Gleneagles and a few commented on how unfair this was on the ordinary punter.

I am the same as others I think, sounds a good experience but to be honest I'd rather sir at home on my sofa and watch it on TV.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Were there many people inside the ropes again following every match? I seem to remember that was an issue at Gleneagles and a few commented on how unfair this was on the ordinary punter.

I am the same as others I think, sounds a good experience but to be honest I'd rather sir at home on my sofa and watch it on TV.

Yes there were a lot - media, team members were fine but there were lots of family, friends and VIPsthere as well.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes there were a lot - media, team members were fine but there were lots of family, friends and VIPsthere as well.

I agree with you, there were far too many people there, especially on Sunday

The one thing that wound me up all week were the amount of hangers on allowed inside the ropes. You could see all the buggies nicely kitted out in the team colours with the numerous vice-captains names painted on the side, yet rarely were the people these were meant for actually in them.

I know this was my 1st Ryder Cup, so is this normal? From my memories of watching this on TV the wives/girlfriends were usually around the final green on the Sunday, but right from the 1st day there were non-golfing people everywhere, so much so I told my wife I'm taking her to work when we get back as this is obviously the thing to do now ;)

I hate to say it, but from what I saw this seemed to be mainly the European team who were guilty of this

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree with you, there were far too many people there, especially on Sunday

The one thing that wound me up all week were the amount of hangers on allowed inside the ropes. You could see all the buggies nicely kitted out in the team colours with the numerous vice-captains names painted on the side, yet rarely were the people these were meant for actually in them.

I know this was my 1st Ryder Cup, so is this normal? From my memories of watching this on TV the wives/girlfriends were usually around the final green on the Sunday, but right from the 1st day there were non-golfing people everywhere, so much so I told my wife I'm taking her to work when we get back as this is obviously the thing to do now ;)

I hate to say it, but from what I saw this seemed to be mainly the European team who were guilty of this

General now I think and has been for a while. Think it stems from the fact the player aren't paid so they get lots of freebies for family and friends. Saw a lot of celebreties also following matches inside the ropes.