Team Europe Ryder Cup Press Conference - Tuesday 8th Jan

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Iain Carter saying on Twitter yesterday that a press conference has been set for next Tuesday lunchtime.

His belief is that it will announce Harrington as 2020 Ryder Cup Captain.

Personally don't have a major issue with that decision. 3 time major champion and veteran of Ryder Cups as a journeyman and as a major winner and been on winning and losing teams.

My impression is that he maybe does have a personality that rubs some people up the wrong way, but I think in this environment everyone will do what is required. He strikes me as someone who will very much do their own thing and won't give in to peer or media pressure with regards to his decision making.

Also, much like Paul McGinley, a completely meticulous individual and should have every chance of doing a very good job.

That probably leaves the schedule a bit like this (age at time of event);

2022 - Lee Westwood (48)
2024 - Ian Poulter (47)
2026 - Sergio Garcia (45)

Wouldn't have an issue with Stenson getting a nod before Sergio. I think he would make a very good captain as well, especially if Sergio is still an option as a player at that stage.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I would throw Jiminez into the mix too.

Loves a Ryder Cup and the guys would be uber relaxed I am sure.
Yeah there is a lot of love for Jimenez, I think the public would like to see him get a chance.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

I don't disagree, but I think it's been widely accepted that he has been overlooked. Perhaps his English was an issue and the press work would have been too much for him.

They seem pretty committed to picking guys in their mid to late 40s who can still play a decent schedule on the tour and so get to know most of the players in the mix for their team.

Jimenez turns 55 tomorrow and definitely plays a Champions tour schedule these days.

I'm not sure if he was ever a serious contender or if they had a discussion with him, but it would have been 2014 / 2016 events that he would have been in the mix for.

Wolf

Visit site
Can't say I've ever heard of Harrington rubbing people up the wri g wya perhaps I've had my head in the sand. But even so Monty made a good job of being captain and he can't ever be accused of being the friendliest on tour and rubbed many the wrong way.

I think Harrington would be a good call he is meticulous and would do a good job. Likewise Westwood has said he wants to play in another rone before thinking of Captaincy and said he would rather do it in europe.

Sergio and Poulter are surely locked in as future Captains and I think Stenson is a great shout to.

MAJ is an absolute legend but I think his time has passed him by but would still be a good addition to a team room as VC.

Last edited:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Also - I think what we see from analysis of these events in the past decade or so. A good captain doesn't win it, but a bad captain loses it.

I think Faldo did a bad job and didn't have a good relationship with the players. Far more concerned about the meida view.

In 2010, both Monty and Pavin were solid. Didn't make mistakes, but Europe just edged out a few key matches.
2012 - again both captains did well and neither could be blamed or heavily praised for a close event.
2014 - McGinely did a great job. But Watson made some key errors. Leaving Mickelson and Bradley out of the Saturday set the tone for a disastrous Sunday.
2016 - Clarke was handed a team full of rookies and you can't blame him for picking Kaymer and Westwood. It was just a mismatch, with DL3 doing all the right things.
2018 - Furyk made some bad decisions with Mickelson and with the pairings going out in foursomes that would have been more suited to fourball. At the time I felt you couldn't leave Phil out, but the course did not suit him at all (which Furyk would have had knowledge on) and a bolder move would have been to leave Phil out and state clearly the reasons why. Likewise, having picked Phil he then contrived to play him in the foursomes rather than fourball.
Ultimately Bjorn made the big call with regards to Garcia around a course that suited him and it worked out brilliantly for both parties.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I’d expect Westwood and Sergio to get home captaincy’s. Some players with exceptional records just given that extra edge to increase the legacy. The away teams are rarely favourites these days, so a degree of throwing a captain less popular under the bus imo.

Having only watched religiously golf since about 2010, it’s hard to recall Harrington’s record, but I’d put him alongside Faldo in regards to popularity. So not surprised they both got an away ones.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I’d expect Westwood and Sergio to get home captaincy’s. Some players with exceptional records just given that extra edge to increase the legacy. The away teams are rarely favourites these days, so a degree of throwing a captain less popular under the bus imo.

Having only watched religiously golf since about 2010, it’s hard to recall Harrington’s record, but I’d put him alongside Faldo in regards to popularity. So not surprised they both got an away ones.

I don't see that necessarily re: the home and away captains.

Faldo, Olazabel, Clarke (away)
All probbaly with better records than McGinley and Bjorn.

I actually think they tend towards selecting the guys who are bigger players and better known in America, the away gigs.

However in the main, it is more a case of who has sufficient RC experience and is the right age.

D

Deleted member 1147

I'd imagine that the host of the home RC's might partly determine the captain. For example, if Spain were to get it (PGA Catalunya has bid in the past) you'd imagine Sergio might be favourite for that.
If in England Westwood as home favourite, or, Ireland with G Mac or Harry Paddington.
etc etc

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also - I think what we see from analysis of these events in the past decade or so. A good captain doesn't win it, but a bad captain loses it.

I think Faldo did a bad job and didn't have a good relationship with the players. Far more concerned about the meida view.

In 2010, both Monty and Pavin were solid. Didn't make mistakes, but Europe just edged out a few key matches.
2012 - again both captains did well and neither could be blamed or heavily praised for a close event.
2014 - McGinely did a great job. But Watson made some key errors. Leaving Mickelson and Bradley out of the Saturday set the tone for a disastrous Sunday.
2016 - Clarke was handed a team full of rookies and you can't blame him for picking Kaymer and Westwood. It was just a mismatch, with DL3 doing all the right things.
2018 - Furyk made some bad decisions with Mickelson and with the pairings going out in foursomes that would have been more suited to fourball. At the time I felt you couldn't leave Phil out, but the course did not suit him at all (which Furyk would have had knowledge on) and a bolder move would have been to leave Phil out and state clearly the reasons why. Likewise, having picked Phil he then contrived to play him in the foursomes rather than fourball.
Ultimately Bjorn made the big call with regards to Garcia around a course that suited him and it worked out brilliantly for both parties.

2004 was arguably the best example: Langer was brilliant, Sutton absolutely clueless.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Absolutely this and it's quite clear that the old boys club is still in full flow. Fully expect big Jimmy Ness to miss out.

Harrington can do it in 4 years not now.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was lucky enough to be in a round table RC chat with Woosnam, Levet, Baker and Van De Velde in early October and all thought Harrington was nailed on. Got it all on camera (its long and lasted 43 minutes) but if you want to here their take on RC captaincy and Woosie announcing a rule change that could rule some future captains out, it starts at 37.30 -

D

Deleted member 15344

Absolutely this and it's quite clear that the old boys club is still in full flow. Fully expect big Jimmy Ness to miss out.

Harrington can do it in 4 years not now.

Who else would they look at though beyond Harrington then the “old boys” - the guys are all Ryder Cup legends ?

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Who else would they look at though beyond Harrington then the “old boys” - the guys are all Ryder Cup legends ?

There was a similar hullabaloo around 2002 / 2004 time when Sandy Lyle didnt get the gig. It shouldnt be a case of pass the baton onto the next legend. The job is surely too important for that.

D

Deleted member 15344

There was a similar hullabaloo around 2002 / 2004 time when Sandy Lyle didnt get the gig. It shouldnt be a case of pass the baton onto the next legend. The job is surely too important for that.

The selection these days ensures it just not a baton passing and will be who is right for the job , the away captain will be someone who has played their career mainly on the US Tour - so Harrington would imo appear to be the right choice when looking at the candidates around at the moment and you can see why they would then start to look at the likes of Westwood

D

Deleted member 15344

The answer is in my original post.

He's Spanish, has ginger hair, loves a cigar and a nice bottle of red.

Why would he have more merit over Harrington?

I’m also sure he said in the past it’s not something he wants because it’s a lot to take on ( think after 97 when he first helped Seve )

He is a superb character but I’m not sure if he would be a great captain

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Harrington seems pretty nailed on for the next one. Westwood has ruled himself out of the running so I can't see too many other viable options. Jimenez may not get it as he'll be 58 by 2022 and could be ruled on age even if he revokes his previous comments about not wanting the role.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Harrington announced as Skipper for 2020 - good luck to him
Hardly a surprise. I think most in the industry knew he was "nailed on" and Woosnam seemed pretty confident in October. I think he's a decent choice and still out there so will know who is and isn't doing it come wild card time. He seems very meticulous in everything he does golf wise so expect him to take the same approach to the RC captaincy. Hopefully we can give a decent performance in the US this time compared to the 2016 result