Darren Clarke - Ryder Cup Captain

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
a point that speaks for Padraig Harrington is that the RC will be in America and he played on the pga tour full time - well almost. in spite of his strong irish accent he's got my vote (but i am not eligable)

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Clarke would be fine - but its a narrow thing.

If the US looses again anyone taking bets on whether we can look forward to a change in format/rules !

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've said this before and I am still of the opinion that Sandy Lyle more than deserves a shot at the captaincy. He is still the only European (double) major winning champion from the 80s and 90s that has not been given the honour and I think its outrageous. He is popular in the states and well known. Yes, Lyle's had his run ins with the authorities, but so did Seve. Don't get me wrong McGinley did a great job, but should he have been awarded the captaincy, ahead of a scot and past winner of the Masters and Open Championship, for the Ryder Cup in his homeland. Yes Clarke will probably get the nod, due to the support of his peers , but for Sandy not to be given the opportunity in the past and in the future is a real shame.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've said this before and I am still of the opinion that Sandy Lyle more than deserves a shot at the captaincy. He is still the only European (double) major winning champion from the 80s and 90s that has not been given the honour and I think its outrageous. He is popular in the states and well known. Yes, Lyle's had his run ins with the authorities, but so did Seve. Don't get me wrong McGinley did a great job, but should he have been awarded the captaincy, ahead of a scot and past winner of the Masters and Open Championship, for the Ryder Cup in his homeland. Yes Clarke will probably get the nod, due to the support of his peers , but for Sandy not to be given the opportunity in the past and in the future is a real shame.

I think the boat has sailed for Sandy. (Not that that is his fault) The trend these days is to pick a player in his mid 40's who the team are likely to have played alongside, i.e a player from their own generation. The Tom Watson shocker from last year has probably further emphasised that policy.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did Sandy Lyle upset anyone? I don't know him, didn't follow golf when he was at his peak to be honest but it seems as though ignoring him has been deliberate. I agree that now is too late for him but it seems strange that he has been overlooked.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Did Sandy Lyle upset anyone? I don't know him, didn't follow golf when he was at his peak to be honest but it seems as though ignoring him has been deliberate. I agree that now is too late for him but it seems strange that he has been overlooked.

Not sure he would have the type of personality to 'rally the troops' so to speak.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why did they hold the meetings at Wentworth?

I believe its overpriced, not that great, the biscuits are rubbish and the coffee caddy is so hard to use.

Woburn, Swinley are miles better and good VFM, and they have a tea lady.;)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why did they hold the meetings at Wentworth?

I believe its overpriced, not that great, the biscuits are rubbish and the coffee caddy is so hard to use.

Woburn, Swinley are miles better and good VFM, and they have a tea lady.;)
They could have held it at Ibrox, its recently became quite popular. :whistle: