Was Clarke a good captain?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Discounting Pieters and RC-B, who were huge successes, it wasn't a good RC for Europe's rookies.
The other 4 managed a single point between them - the same number of points as the 2 experienced picks.
Doesn't this suggest that having more rookies would have been a bigger gamble than going with a couple of experienced players..?
OK, the gamble of going with experience didn't pay off and, with hindsight, you can see the errors DC made. But, bearing in mind DC is taking advice from his VCs, it can be argued that when the decisions were made, they were the right ones. The Spanish boys - 4 down..that doesn't invoke a good feeling that they're playing well.
This is not to say that DC was perfect - far from it. But he, and the experienced picks, are getting the flak when there were a lot of rookies and/or qualified players who didn't show up...
Europe simply didn't play well enough and the addition of any 2 other players wouldnt have swing the tide our way.

I can't argue with this ^^^^^^

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
What went wrong? 4-0 on day one left a mountain to climb. Pretty much the best Europe could put out played in that morning foursomes, or arguably didn't turn up. That morning foursomes pretty much picked itself from the rankings and experience.

The following sessions were about catch up and trying to blood the rookies. Credit to the team for getting it close by Saturday lunchtime but the afternoon didn't go too well. Momentum and a very strong USA team were never going to give the Sunday away easily.

I thought the batting order for Sunday was as good as it could be, and the scores posted by many of the team was excellent but I think Sergio's score summed up how good the Americans were. He had to match Mickleson's 10 birdie round for a half.

Were the wild card picks right? Why wasn't Knox picked? He was playing well on a tough tour and is well used to US courses.

My only changes would have been Knox for Westwood. And a different batting order on the Saturday afternoon.

Was DC a good captain? You're measured on results.

seochris

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What went wrong? 4-0 on day one left a mountain to climb. Pretty much the best Europe could put out played in that morning foursomes, or arguably didn't turn up. That morning foursomes pretty much picked itself from the rankings and experience.

The following sessions were about catch up and trying to blood the rookies. Credit to the team for getting it close by Saturday lunchtime but the afternoon didn't go too well. Momentum and a very strong USA team were never going to give the Sunday away easily.

I thought the batting order for Sunday was as good as it could be, and the scores posted by many of the team was excellent but I think Sergio's score summed up how good the Americans were. He had to match Mickleson's 10 birdie round for a half.

Were the wild card picks right? Why wasn't Knox picked? He was playing well on a tough tour and is well used to US courses.

My only changes would have been Knox for Westwood. And a different batting order on the Saturday afternoon.

Was DC a good captain? You're measured on results.

+1

I could not believe what i saw on the Saturday fourballs when Westwood and Willet both bogeyed the par 3 17th...a 180 yard par 3....WTF!

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Discounting Pieters and RC-B, who were huge successes, it wasn't a good RC for Europe's rookies.
The other 4 managed a single point between them - the same number of points as the 2 experienced picks.
Doesn't this suggest that having more rookies would have been a bigger gamble than going with a couple of experienced players..?
OK, the gamble of going with experience didn't pay off and, with hindsight, you can see the errors DC made. But, bearing in mind DC is taking advice from his VCs, it can be argued that when the decisions were made, they were the right ones. The Spanish boys - 4 down..that doesn't invoke a good feeling that they're playing well.
This is not to say that DC was perfect - far from it. But he, and the experienced picks, are getting the flak when there were a lot of rookies and/or qualified players who didn't show up...
Europe simply didn't play well enough and the addition of any 2 other players wouldnt have swing the tide our way.

I agree that there is a degree of hindsight regarding the picks but why would you keep playing them when it's obvious they weren't playing to any degree of the required standard. Personally I could see it was the wrong decision to pick them at the time although would taking someone else have made a difference we will never know.

Putting them out in every session was madness though.

Again I think we would still have lost, just made it inevitable.

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think the USA simply has better golfers right now and a win with any team would never have happened.

Saw a picture with the U.S TEAM being brought sandwiches by Tiger and Bubba

Europes team has 1 Masters title between them, the guys that bring our teams sandwiches have 6:D

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
351 - Have you seen the Ryder Cup records of your sandwich carriers? No wonder they were carrying butties and not eating them :rofl:

(incidentally, I don't think Clarke did a good job, already elaborated on that, but I agree with you that the US would have won whatever. They had better players this time around. Clarke may have got the scores closer with better picks and pairings but I still think the US would have won)

SonicBoom

Club Champion
Visit site
It concerns me that DC has said in the press that even looking back he wouldn't have done anything differently. Er, we lost - and you wouldn't want to change anything??
That said I'm not even sure what a captain does. Seems a cushy number to travel the world for two years watching golf, then have lots of meetings pretending that what tog the players duvets are is going to make a difference.
It also seems to be a role where they spend lots of time deciding on fancy quotes for the team room, or booking Ferguson and Dynamo and getting a ping pong table. Its money for old rope. Most of us could pick a good European team then send out foursomes and fourballs. We certainly couldn't do it much worse than DC with all his "knowledge".
Im not saying Captaincy has no value but the importance of it is massively over blown.

Hickory_Hacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It concerns me that DC has said in the press that even looking back he wouldn't have done anything differently. Er, we lost - and you wouldn't want to change anything??
That said I'm not even sure what a captain does. Seems a cushy number to travel the world for two years watching golf, then have lots of meetings pretending that what tog the players duvets are is going to make a difference.
It also seems to be a role where they spend lots of time deciding on fancy quotes for the team room, or booking Ferguson and Dynamo and getting a ping pong table. Its money for old rope. Most of us could pick a good European team then send out foursomes and fourballs. We certainly couldn't do it much worse than DC with all his "knowledge".
Im not saying Captaincy has no value but the importance of it is massively over blown.

That job will come with a good salary.

I'm not sure about some folk mentioning 'in hindsight' ... I along with a few other golfing buddies gave us no hope and to be honest they got 2 points more than my prediction. Shameful really but its a well paid gig if you can get it!

U

User62651

Pretty good summation there :smirk: - The duvet tog thing made me chuckle!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Feel free to read up about Dave Brailsford and his thoughts on marginal gains.

Have a look on Youtube for Rhod Gilbert and his tog routine. Very, very funny.

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Pretty good summation there :smirk: - The duvet tog thing made me chuckle!

Only the Brits like Duvets the the rest of the Europeans like blankets, a good captain would know that

Rhod Gilbert is very good on the subject of Duvets and Togs

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think the point about the morning foursomes is very interesting. A lot of people on here and in the media were happy with the picks and then the players ultimately let Clarke down by not performing. A captain and his vice captains can only do so much and make so many plans but they are still reliant on the players getting the ball in the hole.

I do think he made mistakes with some of the pairings. However I think most captains would say in hindsight that perhaps player A shouldn't have played with player B but sometimes it works and comes off and other times it doesn't. In the singles Clarke had to go top heavy and even if McIlroy had won, I don't believe it will have made a difference to what was happening on the course and we'd still have lost.