Darren Clarke - Ryder Cup Captain

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally agree. I think whoever gets the role and clearly Clarke looks favourite, the US will be too strong home soil this time around and that we'll lose by 4-5 points. No reflection on whoever has the captaincy, more a reflection of the hurt the US are feeling, even now about Medinah and the fact they will leave no stone unturned to stop a repeat

Have the US named a captain yet? If not, who's likely to be on the list of favourites?

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My gut feeling is that no matter who the captain is or who he picks for the team, that we are going to get turned over by the USA on home soil. I hope I am wrong
Celtic Manor was pretty close, Medinah really was a miracle, and Gleneagles was still pretty close but we did have the upper hand

Its a poison Chalice, its ours to lose

I feel the same. The USA team will bend over backwards to make sure they win next outing.

D

Deleted member 15344

I feel the same. The USA team will bend over backwards to make sure they win next outing.

Werent they supposed to do that after Medinah when they arrived at Gleneagles ?

In two years time I dont see much difference tbh

The Americans will still play for themselves and be a team full of individuals where as Europe will be a team full of team players irrelevant of World Ranking , major wins etc

Can see Europe winning again

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
On a side note, the room the Committee meet in - the Ryder Cup room in Wentworth's club house - is a treasure trove of pictures from battles of yesteryear. Spent an age looking round it about this time last year.

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The Americans will still play for themselves and be a team full of individuals where as Europe will be a team full of team players irrelevant of World Ranking , major wins etc

I think that the failings at Gleneagles were down to Watson's leadership and the failings of Watson was down to Ted Bishop, it was touted that Bishop selected Watson because he was a hero/friend of Bishops

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

I'd agree. The European team will be much the same as this time (possibly without Poulter and Westwood although I expect they may well be vice captaining if they are not playing), with much the same set up and much the same people in charge. They have a winning formula and they will stick to it.

Where as the US are kind of starting from scratch again now with how they do it. I don't think they have enough time to make the changes needed and also there is always the fact that Europe takes it more seriously than the Yanks do. Yes players like Reid may change that, but I always get the impression it means more to the European team than it does the Yanks, as they can just hop back on their private jets and keep banking the prize money on the PGA tour. Which to be fair is what a lot of the European team can also do.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I think that the failings at Gleneagles were down to Watson's leadership and the failings of Watson was down to Ted Bishop, it was touted that Bishop selected Watson because he was a hero/friend of Bishops

I think most US captains are chosen as more of a thank you for all their service to the PGA with little if any continuity, kind of a gold watch thing. Where as European go about it in a much more methodical and ultimately successful way

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I also think USA will win so to that we should pick someone who won't give a hoot as to what people want or think and just focus on getting it done for the good of the European Tour.

So - Bjorn or Harrington would be my tuppence and both would do a decent job IMO.

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I also think USA will win so to that we should pick someone who won't give a hoot as to what people want or think and just focus on getting it done for the good of the European Tour.

So - Bjorn or Harrington would be my tuppence and both would do a decent job IMO.

I think it's too early for Harrington, 2020 at Whistling Straits or 2022 depending on when it is, if it's in Spain I don't think so! But you never know

D

Deleted member 15344

Harrington would certainly be the left field choice in the same way that Monty was but think the way they pick is different now ?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Clarke wouldn't be my choice,but looks like it's goin to happen.
I've never really liked the bloke for some reason.

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Harrington would certainly be the left field choice in the same way that Monty was but think the way they pick is different now ?

Well Harrington would technically qualify for selection, stellar career, multiple major winner, good ryder cup career, has been a vice captain.

But in reality he probably wants to play in the next team, it more than likely won't happen

Harrington is a shoe in for captaincy at some point though

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm lukewarm to Clarke in the same manner I was when McGinley took charge. That turned out alright. TBH, you could throw a towel over Clarke, MAJ, Bjorn, etc. and still we would win. Probably. :D

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
DC will be Captain as there is no-one else even close to be considered- simple as that.

Nonsense

Bjorn or Jiminez are probably a better pick but both are still good enough to make the team
Clark has no chance of making the team so he will probably be chosen under the Buggins turn rule.
Not too keen on him, hope he is wise enough to pick Des Smyth as vice captain.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Nonsense

Bjorn or Jiminez are probably a better pick but both are still good enough to make the team
Clark has no chance of making the team so he will probably be chosen under the Buggins turn rule.

and who is close or looking good to be picked apart from Clarke?

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nonsense

Des Smyth, now there's a man who knows his golf