Team Europe Ryder Cup Press Conference - Tuesday 8th Jan

D

Deleted member 15344

The US have named Stricker as their Captain for 2020 - apparently he is their first captain to not win a major ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a player and vice his record is one win and 3 losses. Harrington will like that sort of record. McGinley was big on this in past discussions, older Americans have lots of losing baggage that Europeans can lean on.

Wolf

Visit site
Stricker has a bang average RC record certainly not a captain to fear from a European point, however he may be a popular choice amongst US players so who knows what will happen..

However is it just me or does the picture of the 2 guys they released side by make Harrington look like captain haddock

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Stricker grew up in Wisconsin where Whistling Straits is located so they'll be a huge hometown support for the captain and the team which I thing the US side will tap into. I also think as the US team develops and more of the old guard drop out there will be less emotional baggage from defeats hanging around. I think it's a solid enough US appointment and a captain his peers will respect (unless they lose and turn on the captain again)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I personally think the logic of 'Stricker is the Captain because the event is in his home state' is not exactly a great starting point.

Not to say he won't do a good job, or isn't capable, but you would have said the same about Furyk and he made some very basic tactical errors that basically gave his team no chance to win.

I think the US team always seems to have a problem in that the players call the shots and Captains are afraid to upset the players too much.

Wolf

Visit site
I personally think the logic of 'Stricker is the Captain because the event is in his home state' is not exactly a great starting point.

Not to say he won't do a good job, or isn't capable, but you would have said the same about Furyk and he made some very basic tactical errors that basically gave his team no chance to win.

I think the US team always seems to have a problem in that the players call the shots and Captains are afraid to upset the players too much.
That right there I think is the single biggest issue they have. The US players spend so much time playing for themselves they don't know how to play as a team and put the team before self glory.

In surprised they never thought to get someone like Bill Bellichick involved or at least a captain go and spend some time with him or someone similar. The man created a dynasty with his team over tears in the biggest US sport but they don't think to seek advice on their failings instead Mickelson gets to call the shots at their task force meetings on what the team needs.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
That right there I think is the single biggest issue they have. The US players spend so much time playing for themselves they don't know how to play as a team and put the team before self glory.

In surprised they never thought to get someone like Bill Bellichick involved or at least a captain go and spend some time with him or someone similar. The man created a dynasty with his team over tears in the biggest US sport but they don't think to seek advice on their failings instead Mickelson gets to call the shots at their task force meetings on what the team needs.

It's an interesting idea, but is really complete overkill. And Bellickick isn't going to go for it.

They just need their existing pool of smart and articulate guys who know the game and know the players to make their own decisions.

Look at last year. Bjorn picked Garcia, which everyone thought was a risk. And it was a risk. But the guy had the game for the course, turned up and got the job done.

Furyk picked Mickelson - which fair enough, the guy deserved a pick as he had always been in the team. But the course didn't suit him at all. Furyk surely MUST have known this, as would Phil. But he didn't have the gumption to say, sorry I'm picking Kisner or Kuchar because of the course. Phil, this just ins't your set up.

He basically bowed to player power and picked the high profile, outspoken guy.

Wolf

Visit site
It's an interesting idea, but is really complete overkill. And Bellickick isn't going to go for it.

They just need their existing pool of smart and articulate guys who know the game and know the players to make their own decisions.

Look at last year. Bjorn picked Garcia, which everyone thought was a risk. And it was a risk. But the guy had the game for the course, turned up and got the job done.

Furyk picked Mickelson - which fair enough, the guy deserved a pick as he had always been in the team. But the course didn't suit him at all. Furyk surely MUST have known this, as would Phil. But he didn't have the gumption to say, sorry I'm picking Kisner or Kuchar because of the course. Phil, this just ins't your set up.

He basically bowed to player power and picked the high profile, outspoken guy.
Overkill to spend a couple hours picking the brains of a coach that knows how to get the team dynamics on point considering this has been there issue for years, don't think that's overkill at all, would be sensible captaincy decision imo. He hasn't got to have him as a vice merely spend an hour or to fininding out how he makes a team tick.

I do agree with the decisions he made in picking Phil and getting Tiger playing 36 holes weren't good, but when you've got guys coming out and slating each other afterwards as well it shows underlying issues with the stars coming together as a team, get that bit researched and underpinned the captain then can start to grow more of a pair and look at better decision making, a good captain or manager needs both these assets especially after so many years of medioctiry for them

D

Deleted member 1147

I imagine Stricker got the job because he is well liked, well respected, currently playing on the PGA tour, a Wisconsinite, and former winning captain of the President's Cup team for the USA.

Seems like a good choice. Now all he needs to do is plan well, pick the right deputies, pick the right players, the pairings and playing order...oh and hope his team play better than Paddy's team

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I imagine Stricker got the job because he is well liked, well respected, currently playing on the PGA tour, a Wisconsinite, and former winning captain of the President's Cup team for the USA.

Seems like a good choice. Now all he needs to do is plan well, pick the right deputies, pick the right players, the pairings and playing order...oh and hope his team play better than Paddy's team
Agree with this. I don't know why people think the amount of majors he's won or even his Ryder Cup record as a player is relevant. All that matters is his personality and leadership skills. He's choosing other golfers to play, not playing himself. It's a different ball game. Kind of like in football, the best players don't always make the best managers, and the best managers weren't always the best players.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Agree with this. I don't know why people think the amount of majors he's won or even his Ryder Cup record as a player is relevant. All that matters is his personality and leadership skills. He's choosing other golfers to play, not playing himself. It's a different ball game. Kind of like in football, the best players don't always make the best managers, and the best managers weren't always the best players.

I don’t think it works the same for this as football. Generally speaking a top squad aren’t going to take to a manager with little experience and credentials. Granted that manager may nit have been a star player, but they will have become a star manager before getting to a top club.

A Ryder cup captain has very little managerial experience, so their credit tilas are the only thing that can be judged. I expect that all top stars in any field will have more respect from the start for players that have done it already.

Can you imagine Madrid or Barca accepting Iain dowie as manger as soon as he retired in the same way they took to Zidane or Pep?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don’t think it works the same for this as football. Generally speaking a top squad aren’t going to take to a manager with little experience and credentials. Granted that manager may nit have been a star player, but they will have become a star manager before getting to a top club.

A Ryder cup captain has very little managerial experience, so their credit tilas are the only thing that can be judged. I expect that all top stars in any field will have more respect from the start for players that have done it already.

Can you imagine Madrid or Barca accepting Iain dowie as manger as soon as he retired in the same way they took to Zidane or Pep?
Right but they're not going to appoint a nobody as Ryder Cup captain. It's always someone with a good history on the PGA Tour. I'm sure the players respect Stricker's history in the game, and won't be thinking of him as a crap captain purely because he only won 1 Ryder match or because he didn't win a major.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Right but they're not going to appoint a nobody as Ryder Cup captain. It's always someone with a good history on the PGA Tour. I'm sure the players respect Stricker's history in the game, and won't be thinking of him as a crap captain purely because he only won 1 Ryder match or because he didn't win a major.

That’s basically my point. I was simply responding to your comparison of football. In football there are plenty of examples of lesser footballers who become great managers. You won’t find many if any Ryder cup captain that aren’t excellent players.

Apples and oranges as they say.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That’s basically my point. I was simply responding to your comparison of football. In football there are plenty of examples of lesser footballers who become great managers. You won’t find many if any Ryder cup captain that aren’t excellent players.

Apples and oranges as they say.
Well yeah, ok. I just meant that winning a Ryder Cup match as a player is totally different to being a good captain and probably wouldn't have much bearing. :D

D

Deleted member 1147

I agree entirely; good job Paul McGinley won all those majors before his RC captaincy 👍

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He has been on tour, knows the players and despite his record, has played in the RC so understands the pressures. He's got Presidents Cup experience and was a vice captain last year. He knows the team room and on home soil I think the team will be keen to make amends for the thrashing in Paris and can see it being a far more cohesive unit