European membership & Ryder Cup qualification changes

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The European Tour today announced a change to its membership regulations for the 2018 season, with players only required to compete in a minimum of four European Tour sanctioned tournaments outside the Major Championships and World Golf Championships next season.

The change, ratified by the Tour’s Tournament Committee in Abu Dhabi on Tuesday night, continues to recognise the global nature of the European Tour, acknowledged for the 2016 season when the number was reduced to five tournaments outside the Majors and WGCs.

It is also designed to help players plan their schedules even more effectively as the European Tour continues to grow and expand.

Keith Pelley, Chief Executive of the European Tour, said: “The change to our minimum tournament requirement will help many of our members who play around the world but who, at the same time, wish to remain loyal to The European Tour.

“It will enable them to remain in membership in what are extremely exciting times for The European Tour with the advent of the Rolex Series, one of the most important and significant developments in our 44-year history.”

In addition to the change to the Tour’s membership regulations, the Tournament Committee also approved three important changes to the qualification process for Europe’s 2018 Ryder Cup team.

Firstly, there will be a greater weighting for points earned in tournaments in the latter stages of the process to help ensure the European Team reflects those players in form nearer the time of The Ryder Cup itself.

Race to Dubai points and World Ranking points earned in these tournaments will be multiplied by 1.5 for the two respective qualification lists with the first counting event to benefit from this increased weighting in the 2018 season being the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth.

With the 2018 schedule not as yet finalised, the last counting event in the quest to make Thomas Bjørn’s team bound for Le Golf National in Paris in September 2018 is not confirmed, but the starting point will be the D+D Real Czech Masters at the Albatross Golf Resort in Prague from August 31 – September 3.

Secondly, following the introduction of the Rolex Series, no Ryder Cup qualification points will be available from tournaments staged anywhere in the world played in the same week as these events in both 2017 and 2018.

While this change takes into account the significance of the Rolex Series for the European Tour, it also recognises it will mean fewer qualification points being available globally outside of these tournaments, hence Captain Bjørn will have an extra wild card pick at his disposal for the 2018 team – the third change.

It means the 12-man European Team for The 2018 Ryder Cup will comprise the first four players from the European Points List, followed by the leading four players from the World Points List and completed by four wild cards.

Outside the specific changes to the qualification for the 2018 team, the Tournament Committee upheld the current general stipulation that a player must be a European Tour member to be eligible to play for Europe in the biennial contest against the United States.

Furthermore, the committee also introduced a new regulation stating that players cannot be a European Ryder Cup Captain or a Vice-Captain if they decline membership of the European Tour or fail to fulfil their minimum event obligation in any season, from 2018 onwards.

Bjørn said: “I am delighted that the Tournament Committee passed these regulations which I believe will considerably benefit the European Ryder Cup team in 2018 without compromising the strength or importance of the European Tour.

“In my role as chairman of the Tournament Committee for the past ten years and now as Ryder Cup Captain, I fully appreciate the need to balance both of these essential elements, and I think we have managed to do that.

“Part of the reason for my appointment last month was to, as soon as possible, begin the process required to regain The Ryder Cup at Le Golf National in 2018, and these changes are the first step on that journey. Hopefully they will help me have the 12 best European players available in 20 months’ time.”

In recognition of the demands on his time as Ryder Cup captain, Bjørn stood down as Chairman of the Tournament Committee on Tuesday night – a position he has held since 2007 – with former Ryder Cup player David Howell unanimously voted as his successor.

In summary, the decisions taken by the European Tour Tournament Committee are:

European Tour Membership:

● Membership criteria of the European Tour to be dropped from five tournaments to four tournaments (outside the Majors and WGCs) for the 2018 season.

Qualification for The 2018 Ryder Cup Team:

● Ryder Cup qualification points (both R2D Points and World Points) to be multiplied by 1.5 for tournaments later in the qualification process. The starting point for this will be the BMW PGA Championship in 2018.

● No Ryder Cup qualification points will be available from tournaments staged anywhere in the world opposite Rolex Series tournaments in both 2017 and 2018.

● Qualification for the 2018 team to change to four players from the Ryder Cup European Points List, four from the Ryder Cup World Points List and four Wild Card picks for Captain Bjørn.

Ryder Cup Qualification – General:

● Players must be a member of the European Tour to be eligible to play for Europe.

● Players cannot be a European Ryder Cup Captain or a Vice-Captain if they decline membership of the European Tour or fail to fulfil their minimum event obligation in any season, from 2018 onwards.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Most interesting part of that, for me, is the Captaincy/VC qualification....
They have to stay ET members from next year or else....But, then, only 4 events - it's not really a big commitment really.
I like the bulk of the changes as it brings more players into consideration.
I'd still start the qualifying process in the same year as the event, probably March, but it's better than a poke in the with a sharp stick!

D

Deleted member 15344

For me it basically looks like they are forcing the top players to play in the Rolex Series

The players are only required to play in 4 events - so the Rolex series will be the events with a lot of Ryder Cup weighting behind - that for me means that the players will pick mainly those events from the ET calendar as their four events. That will have a knock on effect to the comps that don't have any Rolex standing i believe.

Glad they have ensured that players must be a member of the ET to play in the RC and also Captain and VC

5 events wasn't really a big commitment so taking it to 4 isn't a massive change

4 wild cards - think that's two too many.

Imurg

Visit site
4 wild cards - think that's two too many.

Not necessarily.
It gives Bjorn the chance to pick players who haven't qualified but are playing well.
This is always the issue with long qualifying periods...I think it's fair to say Willett may not have been picked if he hadn't qualified as his form was poor.
There's a case for picking all 12 as long as the Captain doesn't just pick his mates.
You want players in form not those who's form deserted them months ago.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not necessarily.
It gives Bjorn the chance to pick players who haven't qualified but are playing well.
This is always the issue with long qualifying periods...I think it's fair to say Willett may not have been picked if he hadn't qualified as his form was poor.
There's a case for picking all 12 as long as the Captain doesn't just pick his mates.
You want players in form not those who's form deserted them months ago.

Yet for 30 plus years with only either 2 or 3 wild cards Europe have a pretty good record using the Qualfiying period they have - one RC with a couple of players who lost form shouldn't mean throwing the water out of the bath. There is no guarantee on any player.

Europe have had a great deal of success with the previous amount of wild cards - increasing them is a knee jerk reaction to one defeat.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes all seems like a good plan.

Rolex are massive sponsers of the ET and deserve the best fields the ET can offer.

Although Mr Penney comes across as ultra hyper he understands what the tour and players want and looks to be trying to change for the better.

The ET was dying on its backside with everyone going abroad so it can only be good imo.

The Ryder cup is great but its not as important as keeping the ET strong imo.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yet for 30 plus years with only either 2 or 3 wild cards Europe have a pretty good record using the Qualfiying period they have - one RC with a couple of players who lost form shouldn't mean throwing the water out of the bath. There is no guarantee on any player.

Europe have had a great deal of success with the previous amount of wild cards - increasing them is a knee jerk reaction to one defeat.

Better to have the option though? If a captain believes the best pick IS the player in 9th spot, pick him!

D

Deleted member 16999

Don't really get the Captain/Vice Captain bit, has it ever been an issue.

Don't agree with the extra wildcard, for me you either qualify on merit or you don't, I understand the thinking that players can hit form late in a season and not qualified by right, but what about the guys who have played well all year but end up in 5th - 7th.
Extra wildcard sets it up for your Westwoods, Poulters etc if they are struggling early on.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Number of events required from 5 down to 4, but last year the French Open was worth 2 so not a lot different there.

Re the capt/vice qualification, I'm reading that as "don't play the required number of events in ANY year from 2018 onwards, and you will NEVER be captain or vice captain of the Euro Ryder Cup team."

Sounds harsh imo unless I've misunderstood.

Wouldn't surprise me to see more people 'doing a Casey'. I'd rather tell someone to wedge it than be dictated to like that.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think perhaps they officially need to change the Ryder Cup, so it is European Tour v US Tour, as this is what they are trying to make it.

I'm all for trying to help the European Tour but I personally don't think blackmailing players with Ryder Cup selection (or captaincy now) is the way to do it.

Either attract better sponsors, and make the tour competitive with the US Tour, or accept you're fighting against an inevitable tide and that the European Tour is no more than a feeder tour for the main US tour.

We really shot ourselves in the foot this year with the wildcard selections, imagine giving Darren Clarke an extra pick, who would he have selected, another of his out of form mates?

We had 2 in form players, both used to the US conditions sat watching the Ryder Cup on TV, doesn't make sense to me. 1st rule of team sport, pick your best team

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Four picks is nonsense.

Top 12 on the world rankings that's your team. No membership nonsense, no minimum events to play. Just pick your strongest team and don't ever allow another old pals act to ruin European chances before a ball is struck.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
sounds a bit like they are selling all the non Rolex events down the river a bit, structured to ensure the top players play in them but then need no more tournaments to qualify and with an extra wildcard allowing more likely an extra selection for those based in US

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I still don't get the minimum tournaments outside of Majors and WC events. Surely that just makes it easier for the players outside the upper levels of world golf to be members. For the better players it's still playing in 11 or 12 events that are tour sanctioned.

Imurg

Visit site

So, do it like we've always done it.......Sounds like a traditional golf club not allowing female members...
Just because something's been done one way for years doesn't mean doing it a different way is wrong......Even if the original way works.
To make the best RC team you need players in form. With 4 picks you're more likely to have at least 4 guys playing well...
And I don't think Big Tom will pick "mates" - I don't think he has any..😁

D

Deleted member 15344

So, do it like we've always done it.......Sounds like a traditional golf club not allowing female members...
Just because something's been done one way for years doesn't mean doing it a different way is wrong......Even if the original way works.
To make the best RC team you need players in form. With 4 picks you're more likely to have at least 4 guys playing well...
And I don't think Big Tom will pick "mates" - I don't think he has any..😁

Not sure how you can connect Ryder Cup selection to females in a golf club ?!

Form in golf can go at the drop of a hat

You can go into a RC with 12 form guys and they can still lose - what then ?

I can understand the need to change the process if the team loses regualry but that's not the case

The US have had 4 Wildcard picks for years to enable them to pick form players - how is their record compared to that of the Europe team with just two picks ?

Also if the player is in that good a form to be picked then surely they are picking up the points needed to qualify anyway

The Captain could just as easily pick four players who haven't played for months at any sort of high level

Europe have had a consistent level of success with a small number of Wildcards - one bad pick and it's all change - knee jerk reaction

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure how you can connect Ryder Cup selection to females in a golf club ?!

Form in golf can go at the drop of a hat

You can go into a RC with 12 form guys and they can still lose - what then ?

I can understand the need to change the process if the team loses regualry but that's not the case

The US have had 4 Wildcard picks for years to enable them to pick form players - how is their record compared to that of the Europe team with just two picks ?

Also if the player is in that good a form to be picked then surely they are picking up the points needed to qualify anyway

The Captain could just as easily pick four players who haven't played for months at any sort of high level

Europe have had a consistent level of success with a small number of Wildcards - one bad pick and it's all change - knee jerk reaction

The 2016 Ryder Cup was the first one with 4 picks for the US, it was only 3 in 2014.

D

Deleted member 15344

The 2016 Ryder Cup was the first one with 4 picks for the US, it was only 3 in 2014.

2012 there was 4 picks , same in 2010 and 2008

2014 TW changed it to 3

2006 it was 2