Darren Clarke - Ryder Cup Captain

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
U

User62651

Not sure, think he could try to be everyone's mate rather than boss and not have the distance required to manage with authority, perhaps too chummy with Westwood and other older players. I'd have gone for someone more senior 50+. DC is still of an age that he could be on the team again.
Torrance, Woosnam, Langer etc may be better choices. Personally I liked Langers leadership.

D

Deleted member 15344

But they have all been Captain already ?

Look at the last 3 Captains we have had - all still playing , just like Clarke.

Going back to a previous captain surely is a move away from the current formula ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Looks like much of the media have it as a two horse race and I suspect on ease of communication DC would get it over MAJ but not sure if that should be the swaying factor

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think he will be a losing captain too as I feel the USA will not lose the next game! To be honest even though I am hoping I am wrong but it would be good for the event if the USA did win to keep up the excitement (if you know what I mean)

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
For me it should be Jimenez. Not quite sure about Clarke. Jimenez would be much more passionate and a much better character to have. Also has been vice captain the last 2-3 events. I think the team would play for him more.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Clarke could be a similar captain to what Woosie was in that he wont be remembered in the same vein as the likes of Langer, Torrance or McGinley in terms of tactics etc. Whether Clarke gets a strong team like Woosie had and whether the US team is as inept as the team Woosie's team were up against are two other issues.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I don't care, for me it's the players that do the work not the Captain... if our team are on fire we will win, if not we will lose.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't care, for me it's the players that do the work not the Captain... if our team are on fire we will win, if not we will lose.
Still needs to put the right players together tho James does he not ?

Dont like any of them as RC Captain to be honest , if i had to pick one of the 3 then MAJ .despite the language barrier

only a matter of time if it hasnt happened already that Rors & Gmac endorse DC and as the say the rest will be history ..

Gona be tough task this time tho , so big responsibility / pressure on who ever gets it

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
My gut feeling is that no matter who the captain is or who he picks for the team, that we are going to get turned over by the USA on home soil. I hope I am wrong
Celtic Manor was pretty close, Medinah really was a miracle, and Gleneagles was still pretty close but we did have the upper hand

Its a poison Chalice, its ours to lose

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
It will be DC as Rory wants him to be captain. And rightly or wrongly, I think more and more player power is becoming more influential in these decisions. I think he has made enemies, McGuinly being one, and there's always been rumours about him not being everyone's cup of tea. But he's served his time as vice captain and as long as he has the respect of the players then that's kind of all you need really.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think there are two elements - a player who can get the team working together and engender the right sport of spirit, and a guy who presents a good public image and will get some coverage. I think Clarke scores well on both. Bjorn more on the former, Sandy Lyle (and Faldo) on neither one. Miguel would be great for both too, but his turn might come in France 2018. If not, he will miss his chance.

A wise man once said that whatever the result, the winning captain will get too much credit and the losing captain too much blame.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Clarke for me is a popular choice and imo will do a good job.
Ultimately it will come down to the players and atm we have some great pairings.
He has been there and done it and been there and seen it.
McGinley has set the bar so high now it will be difficult for anyone in America.
Hes on a hiding to nothing really we will lose at sometime in the future that's for sure.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My gut feeling is that no matter who the captain is or who he picks for the team, that we are going to get turned over by the USA on home soil. I hope I am wrong
Celtic Manor was pretty close, Medinah really was a miracle, and Gleneagles was still pretty close but we did have the upper hand

Its a poison Chalice, its ours to lose

Totally agree. I think whoever gets the role and clearly Clarke looks favourite, the US will be too strong home soil this time around and that we'll lose by 4-5 points. No reflection on whoever has the captaincy, more a reflection of the hurt the US are feeling, even now about Medinah and the fact they will leave no stone unturned to stop a repeat

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would like Clarke to be captain and a successful captain as he's a hero of mine, I do think that the U.S. should win the next one just to keep interest up, if the U.S. continue to lose then without a doubt they will lose interest fans and players

So the 2016 captain may be a bit of a fall guy in that aspect which would be a shame for Clarke

It's coming to the end for MAJ so I think France 2018 is his then maybe Bjorn after that in terms of age and relevance to playing. Pretty soon the current crop of players will be captaining, Harrington, Westwood and Garcia to name a few are getting to that age