Ryder Cup 2018, I know it's too early but...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You need a Frenchman in otherwise no French will go, they’re a funny lot. Is anyone actually excited about the Ryder cup. I’ll watch it when it’s on, but I’ve got some sympathy for Rory’s comments a few years back, I struggle to see it as a big deal.
If I was a pro I wouldn’t play in it unless I could work some financial benefit. If I could link it to increased profile, more sponsorship etc then I’d do it, otherwise I couldn’t see the point. I’d rather have the weekend off

It's tricky. For some, like Poulter etc the event defined them more than their individual career. I don't think it's a big deal for some of the players as it was in the Jacklin, Torrance or Seve years. I wouldn't say players didn't try last time but was their the usual intensity they'd invest if they were looking to earn a few bucks and win the title?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's tricky. For some, like Poulter etc the event defined them more than their individual career. I don't think it's a big deal for some of the players as it was in the Jacklin, Torrance or Seve years. I wouldn't say players didn't try last time but was their the usual intensity they'd invest if they were looking to earn a few bucks and win the title?
I’m sure when you’re there, as a player, as a fan it’s great. If I was a pro & it was my job, I’d ask myself if I really needed it? What can I earn from it? Or shall I have a weekend off with the Mrs?
It just feels like a sky TV over hyped construct now.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’m sure when you’re there, as a player, as a fan it’s great. If I was a pro & it was my job, I’d ask myself if I really needed it? What can I earn from it? Or shall I have a weekend off with the Mrs?
It just feels like a sky TV over hyped construct now.

I'm sure no player will turn it down, even as a wild card but I get where you're coming from. I think a time will come when some form of payment will come in (not for a long time I hope) and that may be in the guise of a set match fee per player. Whether the European or US team then attached win bonuses on top would be another discussion. It'll happen at some time as it continues to be this money spinning juggernaut but for the integrity of the event I hope it's a very long way off and not something I'd like to see

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think you just show how biased you are towards Woods - pointing on one person’s records are irrelevant. The RC is a team event not singles and it’s been widely reported for a long time that Woods has had issues within that environment- all those events he won points the US lost - that’s all that matters.

But this isn’t a thread about Woods it’s about the RC and Woods will be there as a Vice Captain only not a player and I’ll put money on that.

any different to your bias on Casey Phil? Fitzpatrick a cert but Casey not in your team :D

D

Deleted member 15344

any different to your bias on Casey Phil? Fitzpatrick a cert but Casey not in your team :D

Paul Casey is 73rd in the World points and 46th the European Points list - miles away from the qualifying areas, hasn’t won on tour for coming up to 4 years ( 9 years on the PGA )

Reckon young Fitzpatrick is a damn sight closer to making the team than Casey

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Paul Casey is 73rd in the World points and 46th the European Points list - miles away from the qualifying areas, hasn’t won on tour for coming up to 4 years ( 9 years on the PGA )

Reckon young Fitzpatrick is a damn sight closer to making the team than Casey

World ranked 17th against World ranked 32nd, of which the lower ranking has gained most of his points on the PGA tour against much tougher fields and from a few less tournaments.

D

Deleted member 15344

World ranked 17th against World ranked 32nd, of which the lower ranking has gained most of his points on the PGA tour against much tougher fields and from a few less tournaments.

World ranking doesn’t count towards RC though they have no relevance to qualifying for the RC, - even in the World Points Fitzpatrick is miles ahead of him

Fitzpatrick has won 4 times on tour since the last time Casey did so why should Casey be a guarantee in the team ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
World ranking doesn’t count towards RC though they have no relevance to qualifying for the RC, - even in the World Points Fitzpatrick is miles ahead of him

Fitzpatrick has won 4 times on tour since the last time Casey did so why should Casey be a guarantee in the team ?

because on pretty much any scale of measurement hes a far better player, playing in better standard competition week in week out, 17 top 25s out of 24 appearances on the PGA tour last year hold up well against almost anyone

D

Deleted member 15344

because on pretty much any scale of measurement hes a far better player, playing in better standard competition week in week out, 17 top 25s out of 24 appearances on the PGA tour last year hold up well against almost anyone
Then if he is that good he will qualify by rights by the end of qualifying period - Or will need to rely on a Captains Pick. At the moment I would see Fitzpatrick qualifying by right and I think Casey will need a pick

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Casey has shown for years that he wasn’t interested in the Ryder Cup and has never chosen to make any sacrifices to his schedule to qualify for it.

Ultimately left Clarke very short of experience in 2016 at an away event as he wasn’t even eligible for a wild card pick.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

I like Casey, but i recall quite a few of those top 25's being the result of shocking weekends. Didn't he have the best average score for pre cut rounds and then fall apart every sunday sliding backwards. Doesn't say a lot for his bottle under the pressure of Ryder Cup.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Fisher and Fitz @+5, Stenson and Rory @+3

Team coming along just nicely :rolleyes:

I posted earlier in the thread querying the love for Fitzpatrick. A lot of folk seem to think he is a cert . Personally I see it differently and think he'll have to qualify. There doesn't seem to be any logic for him to be a pick . His pro matchplay record is most underwhelming, he melted under pressure in the States last time and his current form is woeful. I know he won the US Amateur but he can't keep dining out on that. If he plays his way in that's fantastic for everyone but there's not many signs of that at the moment . Long way to go though I accept.

D

Deleted member 15344

I posted earlier in the thread querying the love for Fitzpatrick. A lot of folk seem to think he is a cert . Personally I see it differently and think he'll have to qualify. There doesn't seem to be any logic for him to be a pick . His pro matchplay record is most underwhelming, he melted under pressure in the States last time and his current form is woeful. I know he won the US Amateur but he can't keep dining out on that. If he plays his way in that's fantastic for everyone but there's not many signs of that at the moment . Long way to go though I accept.

He has only had one RC and it was when all sorts was going wrong and it’s very hard to judge him based on that - many people had issues in the last RC that shouldn’t mean he is tossed onto the scrapheap - he doesn’t dine out on anything - right now he is qualifying comfortably into the team and his consistent performances will keep him firmly in there.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He has only had one RC and it was when all sorts was going wrong and it’s very hard to judge him based on that - many people had issues in the last RC that shouldn’t mean he is tossed onto the scrapheap - he doesn’t dine out on anything - right now he is qualifying comfortably into the team and his consistent performances will keep him firmly in there.

Who threw him on the scrapheap ? Last years RC was just a contributory factor for my logic of not making him a shoe in. If I just wrote that I don't think he should be a shoe in and left it at that then you'd be sounding me out for my reasons why . All will be revealed in time and as I said if he plays his way in then that's fantastic for all but if you're look at his consistency then recently it's been poor. WGC matchplay next week, that might be a good pointer , especially for Captain Bjorn if he doesn't qualify automatically. Just to clarify here , there is NO hate train on MF on my part just an objective view from my part that in my opinion he's not in the guaranteed echelons of selection.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well a certain Ian Poulter has hit Matchplay form and has started to use his old putter again and playing very well

Comfortably through the group stage - a few good more wins could see him into the Masters and then could see him creep closer to the Team - if he does go to win the Matchplay certainly got to see him in the team - an in form Poulter in Matchplay would be a superb asset to the team and one the yanks wouldn’t like to face

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Henrik returning to form last week, Rose, Rory etc making ground. This could be a great major year, hopefully not dominated by USA and who knows?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Also been impressed with Noreen over first few days, interesting if he can find something on These last two holes.

Composed play off hole from Hatton