Ryder Cup 2018, I know it's too early but...

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
...the WGC just got things going for me in what could be such a cracking Ryder cup this year.

A year ago I was all but conceding defeat as USA looked so strong but now I'm not so sure.So, as hopefully Spring is fighting back and the season is round the corner, who 'needs' to be on the plane going to France in the Autumn?

This is not about who is in what position points wise or wild card picks but who do we need to overcome one of the strongest USA teams in recent years.

My picks, ?=still not sure

1 Rory

2 Rose

3 Fleetwood

4 Hatton

5 Rahm

6 Noren

7 Sergio

8 Pieters

9 Casey

10 Stenson?

11 Fitzy?

12 Cabrero Bello or Lowry

Fisher, Donaldson and Wood possible swap ins.

No room for Westy, Donald or Poults for me

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't think you will be too far off the mark with those choices, I reckon most of them will be on the team bus.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is a shame there are no French players really knocking on the door. That would help ignite the interest of the locals, build up the atmosphere even more.

D

Deleted member 18588

Cabrera-Bello would be a definite.

Far from certain about Fitzpatrick though.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
...the WGC just got things going for me in what could be such a cracking Ryder cup this year.

A year ago I was all but conceding defeat as USA looked so strong but now I'm not so sure.So, as hopefully Spring is fighting back and the season is round the corner, who 'needs' to be on the plane going to France in the Autumn?

This is not about who is in what position points wise or wild card picks but who do we need to overcome one of the strongest USA teams in recent years.

1 Rory

2 Rose

3 Fleetwood

4 Hatton

5 Rahm

6 Noren

7 Sergio

8 Pieters

9 Casey

10 Stenson?

11 Fitzy?

what no French ?

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site

1 Rory

2 Rose

3 Fleetwood

4 Hatton

5 Rahm

6 Noren

7 Sergio

8 Pieters

9 Casey

10 Stenson?

11 Fitzy?

i totally agree with 1-11 though the 12th may be rafa, molinari, fisher or fitz would go rafa though

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Surely Levy has to go?

Been playing great recently and with the RC being in France I thought he would be a definite.

I don't think I would be taking Fitz or Wood on current form.

Chris Paisley must be in with a shout as well. Having an absolute cracker year. Great first round at the WGC but did fall away after that. Will be watching him closely to see how he continues.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Rory, Sergio, Rose, Tommy, Tyrell, Noren, C-Bello, Rahm will, I think, all qualify and if they don't they'll be picks
Fitz, Pieters, Casey, Stensen will get picks if they don't qualify
Fisher - possible at the expense of Casey or Fitz
Pieters is worth a pick if he doesn't qualify based on the last RC - unless his form is shocking.
Francesco Molinari is in with a shout too.
A lot of the rest - Wood, Levey, Lowry show sparks of form but then tail off....

With way, there'll be no Westwood, Willett, Poulter or Donald unless something exceptional happens to their years..

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
1. Rory
2. Rahm
3. Rose
4. Garcia
5. Hatton
6. Fleetwood
7. RCB
8. Noren
9. Stenson (probably needs a pick)
10. Fitzpatrick
11. Fisher
12. Pepperell / Paisley / Lowry / Dunne - whoever is in form.

I do think that there will be a strong case for either Levy or Dubuisson to get a pick if they are there or there abouts.

Personally I don't think Fisher is a great addition to the team. It looks likely he will qualify, but his record is poor and I don't think his game is suited to the format at all.

There is also guys like Kaymer, Pieters, Molinari, Casey, Colsaerts, GMac, Poulter and Westwood who are all experienced and one or two of whom will force themselves into contention and, if they are close, they will get a pick. Remember, you only need to play well on the right week and you'd be all but qualified (basically at Wentworth or at a major).

I personally think Poulter and Westwood have used up their picks and they will need to qualify on their own merit, or be in very good form when the team is finalised. If not, they will both be vice captains.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think the team gets picked from the top 4 in World Rankings, top 5 in Race to Dubai and then 3 wildcards.
I know it's a long way to go as the OP said but at the moment Rory would need a pick!
Think it could be :-

Rahm, Rose, Fleetwood, Garcia, McIlroy, Rafa CB, Mollinari, Hatton, Noren, Stenson, Fitzpatrick and Levy.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't see Fitzpatrick being a shoe in at all. He'll have to qualify in my opinion but what do I know ??? All it takes is for a Kaymer or Wiesberger to have a great couple WGCs/Majors and then they're almost certain of picks. That'd rock the boat. Likewise someone like Jordan Smith , Andy Sullivan or someone of that ilk to smash the rolex series. It's going to be a fantastic viewing year and the last few qualifying events could end up being pure shootouts !!!!

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the teams will be:

Europe
Rory, Rahm, Rose, Fleetwood, Garcia, Hatton, Stenson, Noren, Cabrera Bello, Fitzpatrick, Casey and Pieters

US
DJ, JT, Spieth, Reed, Fowler, Koepka, Mickelson, Kuchar, Watson, Woodland, Harman and Woods

I think across the board we look stronger than the US. Once you get past the power top 4 the rest look very beatable. Not really any other names that could come in for the US. Have thrown Woods, Woodland and Harman in there but could equally be Holmes, Snedeker, Johnson, Walker, and Moore but none of those 4 are playing particularly well at the moment, or they could go for a rookie like Pat Perez, Charley Hoffmann, Xander Schauffele or Patton Kizzire but it would be a huge ask for those guys, particularly the last two. Am I forgetting anyone? Am I under-rating the Americans?

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good shout including the US team and I think Perez and Reed will make it for them and think they'll be very good.

For the Europeans, if possible I think we really need a Frenchman to make the team, with a large core of French fans being at the Event they could be our 13th man!

D

Deleted member 15344

Rory
Stenson
Rose
Noren
Rahm
Garcia
Fleetwood
RCB
Pieters
Hatton
Fitzpatrick

That’s 11 I think will qualify by right or by a pick

That leaves one spot open for a good number of people

Casey
Wood
Molinari
Levy

Think it’s going to be a strong team

And I do hope the US pick Woods - they don’t win with him in the team

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
And I do hope the US pick Woods - they don’t win with him in the team

Pretty dismissive. He'll only make it onto the team if he's won an event between now and the team being picked (which I think he will), and if Tiger is a winner on Tour again, then he can only make the US team stronger. I'm sure the European's would rather face Xander Schauffele or Patton Kizzire on Sunday than Tiger Woods.

D

Deleted member 15344

Pretty dismissive. He'll only make it onto the team if he's won an event between now and the team being picked (which I think he will), and if Tiger is a winner on Tour again, then he can only make the US team stronger. I'm sure the European's would rather face Xander Schauffele or Patton Kizzire on Sunday than Tiger Woods.

The last time Woods was on a winning RC Team was in 1999 - the two times they have won it since Woods didn’t make the team -any other time Woods played the US won. The Europeans won’t fear Woods at all

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Woods won 2.5 points in 2002 (T2 on the US team - halved on Sunday), 2 points in 2004 (2nd on US team - Won on Sunday), won 3 points in 2006 (1st on US team - won on Sunday) and won 3 points in 2010 (T1 on US team - won on Sunday). Only Ryder Cup he played poorly was 2012 and he still halved on Sunday. Playing on poor teams doesn't make Tiger a poor Ryder Cup player, he's not lost a singles match in the Ryder Cup since 1997. If he's playing well, which would be the only reason they would pick him, the European's will fear him more than a rookie.