Ryder Cup performances

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So, Ryder Cup ratings and add your own:

Europe:

Westwood - simply brilliant and only undone by awesome play from Stricker at the end. That putt at the start of Sunday set the whole day rolling.

Donald - flawless. Fantastic singles match and just played beautiful golf.

Poulter - would you rather have him on your team or play against him? Enough said.

Jimenez - crucial singles match and is there anyone who wouldn't want to swap lives with him, at least for a bit?

McDowell - what a golfer he has matured into. Balls of steel.

McIlroy - not at his best, but showed that he will be massive in this contest in the future. Brilliant singles match.

Fisher - looked exhasuted by the last day which was a shame as he'd played incredibly well until then.

Hanson - not what he is capable of but still played a key part on the sunday.

Kaymer - the most disappointing one for me as he is so good but just not this week. Amazed he didn't beat Johnson with the psychological edge he had.

Harrington - simply shouldn't have been there. Awful play and so bad could be held responsible for Fisher's defeat in the singles after leaving him to play on his own all the time.

E. Molinari - what a story. Challenge tour to Ryder cup in a year. Great heart, great guts and probably still can't work out how Fowler got a half.

F. Molinari - what a golf swing, if only he could putt (Monty anyone?). Nervous to start but came good with key half on sunday and simply had no chance against someone shooting <65. And did he ever look nervous?

USA:

Stricker - dull but played fantastic golf all week.

Cink - thankfully his awesome putting touch deserted him from the 15th on the last day but top bloke and probably their best player. Awesome singles match.

Furyk - very nice guy, great match with Donald. Just a brilliant golfer who isn't out of the textbook.

D. Johnson - even with wet greens, couldn't crash bang his way round and was lucky to find Kaymer in a slump during the singles. Frankly, a bit rubbish and major mental weakness.

Watson - redneck moron with unpleasant game. Played well in fairness but you wouldn't want to be on the same course as him.

Overton - played surprisingly well for someone with a terrible mental attitude. He is, however, a massive knob and I cannot stand the sight of him.

Woods - what a surprise. Contributes nothing to the team (even couldn't be bothered to join Stricker on the par 3 tee when play resumed on sunday and just waited by the green - shocking) and suddenly plays great golf when it's the singles. He's not interested in the competition so don't bother to turn up in future.

Mickelson - 2nd half of the season form continued and looked poor throughout. Lucky to get an even shabbier Hanson in the singles and then his putter got going.

Z. Johnson - frankly rubbish for two days and lucky to be playing Harrington otherwise could have come away with nothing. Doesn't help that he has a face you want to slap.

Kuchar - looks like the Joker without the make-up, didn't contribute much at all and got his arse whupped by Poults. And still smiled. Creepy.

Fowler - shaky start but showed his potential as the match wore on. Unbelievable fightback in the singles and will be a major force in the future.

Mahan - suggested that his form at Valhalla was, as I said at the time, a bit lucky with the putter. Solid game, alright bloke and didn't deserve to be the player that 'lost' it. Woods, Oveton and Zach Johnons would have been much more enjoyable.

Europe Player of the week: Donald
USA Player of the week: Cink

Europe letdown of the week: Harrington
USA least favourite of the week: Overton

D

Deleted member 1147

My ratings would be:

Europe:

Westwood - 2.5/4
Donald - 3/4
Poulter - 3/4
Jimenez - 2/3
McDowell - 2.5/4
McIlroy - 2/4
Fisher - 2/4
Hanson - 1/3
Kaymer - 2.5/4
Harrington - 2/4
E. Molinari - 1/3
F. Molinari - 0.5/3

USA:

Stricker - 3/4
Cink - 2.5/4
Furyk - 0.5/3
D. Johnson - 1/4
Watson - 1/4
Overton - 2/4
Woods - 3/4
Mickelson - 1/4
Z. Johnson - 2/3
Kuchar - 2/4
Fowler - 1/3
Mahan - 1/3

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Europe:

Westwood - simply brilliant and only undone by awesome play from Stricker at the end. That putt at the start of Sunday set the whole day rolling.

Donald - flawless. Fantastic singles match and just played beautiful golf.

Poulter - would you rather have him on your team or play against him? Enough said.

Jimenez - crucial singles match and is there anyone who wouldn't want to swap lives with him, at least for a bit?

McDowell - what a golfer he has matured into. Balls of steel.

McIlroy - not at his best, but showed that he will be massive in this contest in the future. Brilliant singles match.

Fisher - looked exhasuted by the last day which was a shame as he'd played incredibly well until then.

Hanson - not what he is capable of but still played a key part on the sunday.

Kaymer - the most disappointing one for me as he is so good but just not this week. Amazed he didn't beat Johnson with the psychological edge he had.

Harrington - simply shouldn't have been there. Awful play and so bad could be held responsible for Fisher's defeat in the singles after leaving him to play on his own all the time.

E. Molinari - what a story. Challenge tour to Ryder cup in a year. Great heart, great guts and probably still can't work out how Fowler got a half.

F. Molinari - what a golf swing, if only he could putt (Monty anyone?). Nervous to start but came good with key half on sunday and simply had no chance against someone shooting <65. And did he ever look nervous?

USA:

Stricker - dull but played fantastic golf all week.

Cink - thankfully his awesome putting touch deserted him from the 15th on the last day but top bloke and probably their best player. Awesome singles match.

Furyk - very nice guy, great match with Donald. Just a brilliant golfer who isn't out of the textbook.

D. Johnson - even with wet greens, couldn't crash bang his way round and was lucky to find Kaymer in a slump during the singles. Frankly, a bit rubbish and major mental weakness. 6&4 win against Kaymer hardly adds up to 'rubbish ?

Watson - redneck moron with unpleasant game. Played well in fairness but you wouldn't want to be on the same course as him. Not everyones cup of tea, but a bit harsh ?

Overton - played surprisingly well for someone with a terrible mental attitude. He is, however, a massive knob and I cannot stand the sight of him.

Woods - what a surprise. Contributes nothing to the team (even couldn't be bothered to join Stricker on the par 3 tee when play resumed on sunday and just waited by the green - shocking) and suddenly plays great golf when it's the singles. He's not interested in the competition so don't bother to turn up in future. Spot on - a Total T@sser despite being a brilliant player - I particularly like the long looks down at the turf after a crap shot, I mean.......its always the turf's fault eh ?

Mickelson - 2nd half of the season form continued and looked poor throughout. Lucky to get an even shabbier Hanson in the singles and then his putter got going.

Z. Johnson - frankly rubbish for two days and lucky to be playing Harrington otherwise could have come away with nothing. Doesn't help that he has a face you want to slap.

Kuchar - looks like the Joker without the make-up, didn't contribute much at all and got his arse whupped by Poults. And still smiled. Creepy.

Fowler - shaky start but showed his potential as the match wore on. Unbelievable fightback in the singles and will be a major force in the future.

Mahan - suggested that his form at Valhalla was, as I said at the time, a bit lucky with the putter. Solid game, alright bloke and didn't deserve to be the player that 'lost' it. Woods, Oveton and Zach Johnons would have been much more enjoyable.

Europe Player of the week: Donald
USA Player of the week: Cink

Europe letdown of the week: Harrington
USA least favourite of the week: Overton

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It's a team format, and everyone contributed, which was absolutely vital in the end.

And although there were some stirling performances ( Westwood until he bottled it ) Donald, and Jimenez spring to mind

The two star players for the team were GMac - how much self belief does he have nowadays. And Poulter - the chest thumping, crowd leading maniac.

Both of these guys played brilliantly themselves AND helped their partners play to their max as well.

Which in my mind is what the Ryder Cup is all about.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surprised Kaymer didn't get rolling at all. Had big expectations of him.

Woods only turned up for the singles. He may have got 3 points but can you honestly say he played better then Cink (2.5 points) or Furyk (a measly 0.5 point). I have to say I'm biased, though. I can't stand the man.

Harrington just had a mare. Again.

Just loved watching Donald. That's what golf should look like.

A little disappointed with Westwood's finishing ability once again. His job in the singles was to get that 1st point and he basically blew a lead with 3 really poor holes in a row in the back 9. Still leaves a question about him.

Screwback

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I dont see how you tear into Tiger like that without having ago at other member of both teams...Mickelson for being world number 2and someone who has played a hell of a lot more golf than Tiger has was dreadful start to finish Fisher was poor for us Francesco Molinari could not putt and harrington was dreadful.. Was Tiger not joint top point scorer..

As for The par 3 where he was on the green when stricker was on the tee, how do you know stricker never wanted him there its not as iff they would be hitting the same club.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Monty picked Harrington.
Harrington won 2 points.
Harrington scored more points than the Molinaries put together.
We won.
Can we move on now please?

D

Deleted member 1147

I'd like to ask a question regarding the rating a players.

What are you basing these ratings on: points won, holes won, holes halved, clutch putts holed, worth as a team member (experience, motivational speaking abilty), number of times they smiled when the camera was on them, your own personal dislike of the player, Sam Torrance's useless observations?

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Biggest mistake of the Ryder Cup was Pavin hidng the best player in the world away down the order,I said it at the release of the order of play I thought it was an astonishing mistake,had he been 1,2 or 3 we would have been knackered and most probably 3 zip down in the singles....red would have been the colour and momentum is everything.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Biggest mistake of the Ryder Cup was Pavin hidng the best player in the world away down the order

Pavin wasn't allowed to pick Donald, Dodger.

:D

I take it you're not talking about current form here (as recently as the two preceding days in fact)

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Too many people want to hate the Americans just because they are American which is pretty pathetic in my book.

I love watching Bubba Watson; he plays the game his own way and you can tell he absolutely loves the game. I genuinely choked up when watching him get tearful when he won at the Travelers, you could tell just how much he loves golf.

Also on Overton... it seems like people are saying he shouldn't dare be a bit loud and give himself an encouraging yell or two when he hits fantastic shots.

I think, to the man, every single player did themselves proud at the weekend even if that wasn't by playing the best golf they're capable of.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure how you can really rate them in a team event. Granted some players pull others on but anyone who has played a fourball and foursome match will know that at some point in the contest your partner will come in and help. That is what Paddy did and what the Molinari's as a pair did.

Did Pavin really hide Woods. I'm not so sure. It stopped the Europeans running away with it and actually gave the remaining four pairs a boost.

I think it's pretty tough to critiscise any player on either side for their performance or points total. In that atmosphere and under that much pressure everyone did their own bit (some smaller than others) to add points to the cause. You could argue that the single 1/2 point contributed by Molinari was in the end the difference.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Biggest mistake of the Ryder Cup was Pavin hidng the best player in the world away down the order,I said it at the release of the order of play I thought it was an astonishing mistake,had he been 1,2 or 3 we would have been knackered and most probably 3 zip down in the singles....red would have been the colour and momentum is everything.

A bit of a double-edged sword imo.

If Pavin had known Woods would go and shoot -9 for 15 (or whatever it was) then you stick him in the top 3 and let him fire up the rest of the troops behind him.

There wasn't much sign of him doing that from the previous 3 days though and if he does the same again going out early would it extinguish any hopes the rest of the team had if the world no.1 got beat early in the day?

Maybe the plan was that any early American success would fire Woods up if Pavin thought he needed an edge. He didn't get off to the best of starts then really flew as the US started to turn the top games around, so maybe it worked.