Ryder Cup 2018 - Paris

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Well Europe’s team is done and the US team has one more pick left

So just thought time to get past all the stuff about the picks and now down to the real stuff

Potential pairings for both the Foursomes and fourballs ?

I can see Bjorn making sure all 12 play on the first day

I think this will be good fourball pairings

Rose - Stenson
Garcia - Rahm
McIlory- Fleetwood
Molinari- Poulter

Foursomes

Rose - Noren
Molinari- Hatton
McIlroy - Fleetwood
Casey - Olesen

When looking on paper there is potential for some very strong partnerships and it gets all the players on the course

And here is a little clip of a couple of the players winding up Bjorn

So other potential pairings that they could see ?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Fourball
Rahm / McIlroy
Rose / Fleetwood
Molinari / Noren
Poulter with Casey / Hatton

Foursomes
Rose / Stenson
Garcia / Molinari
Fleetwood / McIlroy
Poulter / Hatton / Casey
Olessen / Noren

Personally reckon Stenson and Garcia will definitely be playing foursomes and are more likely to sit out the fourball sessions.

I've fancied Rahm / McIlroy fourball pairing from a long way out. Both aggressive players and they will make a pile of birdies between them. IMO, play the cards your dealt and this could be a pair of aces for Bjorn.

I reckon Rory, Rose, Fleetwood and Molinari would be the guys I'd be happy to play in each session, although possibly Molinari is the one more likely to sit out a session or two, and in which case he will definately be more suited to the foursomes. Rahm for me is a fourball player and don't see him playing foursomes.

Still not really sure where Casey fits in to the pairings. I get the feeling he is more of a foursomes player, but could easily play a conservative game alongside Hatton.

I know it's part of the competition to pick out pairings and leave 4 guys out in every session, but I would rather see 4 days of competition. All 12 in action each day with 3 fourball and 3 foursomes for the 1st 3 days, then the 12 singles. This would mean a total of 30 points, with 15.5 obviously required for the win.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

I know it's part of the competition to pick out pairings and leave 4 guys out in every session, but I would rather see 4 days of competition. All 12 in action each day with 3 fourball and 3 foursomes for the 1st 3 days, then the 12 singles. This would mean a total of 30 points, with 15.5 obviously required for the win.

This would be a nightmare from a viewing point with only 3 matches on the course at any one time. It's already bad enough with 4 matches.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
This would be a nightmare from a viewing point with only 3 matches on the course at any one time. It's already bad enough with 4 matches.

I don't think that's the case. Once all 4 groups get going, the broadcasters are a long way from showing every shot, especially in fourball. Appreciate there is often only 1 or 2 matches that are close.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Rose / Stenson
McIlroy / Fleetwood
Poulter / Casey
Molinari / Noren

Foursomes

Garcia /Rahm
Casey / Hatton
Molinari / Olesen
McIlroy / Feetwood

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't think that's the case. Once all 4 groups get going, the broadcasters are a long way from showing every shot, especially in fourball. Appreciate there is often only 1 or 2 matches that are close.
I was referring to spectators at the course.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I was referring to spectators at the course.

Fair enough, but you could have 3 fourball going out, 15 minutes apart at say 10am. Then 45 minutes break and then 3 foursomes going out around 1130. So most of the players would be on the course at the same time

Agree it wouldn't be as good from a spectator point of view and all the golf would be condensed into probably 6 hours. But at the moment it is a real struggle to get everything in with the dayilght at that time of year. Already spectators are arriving and leaving in darkness and at least 4 players are pretty much going through a full warm up in complete darkness.

There is also often the case with afternoon matches teeing off before the morning matches are finished and the order having to change to accommodate a morning match going up 18.

Last edited:

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Morning:
Rose & Stenson (regulars!)
McIlroy & Poulter (slightly sentimental, but maybe both can be inspired from their last pairing)
Garcia & Rahm (Spanish pairing)
Molinari & Noren (Molinari deserves it and I think Noren just ahead of Casey)

Afternoon, slighty depends on the morning results but

Rose & Fleetwood (Resting Stenson, see Tommy & Justin as a good pair)
Casey & Olesen (Nike staffers, this is the one I wouldn't be sure of, depending on the morning, may hold Olesen back)
Poulter & Hatton (A fiery pair - potential to ruffle opponents or implode, hopefully the former)
McIlroy & Rahm (Powerhouses, length not a problem, should be familiar with the fact that scrambling will be a necessity should be comfortable with each other)

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have to go Poulter and Rahm. The ultimate fire pairing.

Rory and Tommy would go nicely together as well I reckon. Garcia and Molinari might work too, Sergio needs someone in good form that's steady away to play with.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Casey has just withdrawn from the BMW with back pain... let’s hope it’s just precautionary, or even made up so he doesn’t spend another day waiting round.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Casey has just withdrawn from the BMW with back pain... let’s hope it’s just precautionary, or even made up so he doesn’t spend another day waiting round.

His back's been an issue all year - nearly pulled out of Augusta because of it. Hope he can rest it before the Ryder Cup, last thing we want is to be carrying multiple players with injuries - already have Stenson nursing his wrist.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Garcia playing in Portugal this week.

Hopefully he can make a few birdies. Glad he’s playing. It would be tough to turn up in Paris not having hit a shot in competition for 6 weeks.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does anyone know what time it would all kick off on the Friday? Got people coming round to watch it and want to make sure I'm all set up in time.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site