Ryder Cup 2021 Teams

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have watched the Ryder Cup, so no need for the condescending comment (y)

I also remember reading about a hundred times how unpopular the guy is with basically everyone on tour. I also remember him losing his 2 pairs matches in Paris. And I also remember there being a bit of a public fallout over the fact that he wasn't paired with Jordan Spieth there, when it had been a successful partnership before...

I would pick the guy if I was the US captain, and I also love that he is a bit of a rascal on the pro circuit as opposed to the rest, who generally seem like a bunch of nice guys. But as an example of leaving out a great player simply for a personality clash, there is no better candidate.

I recall those matches very well, Tiger was dead weight in both, he was appalling, did nothing and against “Molliwood” the pressure on Reed was ridiculous. He was given no run out in foursomes. In his singles match he beat Hatton comfortably, who had a couple of wins under his belt by then (often carried by Casey it must be said, but he was 2-0-0).

I put zero weight in Paris for Reed. In matchplay - and the Ryder Cup - He is a juggernaut. You might argue he’s unpopular but I doubt many US guys would complain if paired with him. You just have to show up on a few holes and he’ll carry you in. In Gleneagles he was the difference between badly beaten and humiliated. He delivered in Hazeltine and took out a flying Rory in a front 9 for the ages.

Leave him out on Personality? Ask the US team if they agree. I really doubt it!

D

Deleted member 15344

If Casey keeps playing like he is in Dubai he'll qualify easily or be a shoe-in Captain's pick...
That’s pretty much what Harrington said - also said the same about Garcia

For years wasnt really a fan of Casey but he seems to have changed his persona a lot and is a lot more likeable- stunning play today as well

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
That’s pretty much what Harrington said - also said the same about Garcia

For years wasnt really a fan of Casey but he seems to have changed his persona a lot and is a lot more likeable- stunning play today as well
The interviews he's had with Barter have been really enlightening - seems nicely chilled with life.
The only reason I don't want him to win is that I haven't got him in my fantasy team and Fragger has:ROFLMAO:

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have you not watched the Ryder Cup before? Reed is the first name on the US team sheet, automatic captain's pick if he doesn't qualify.

I think he’ll qualify but if he doesn’t I don’t think he’s a guaranteed pick.

Lost all 3 pairs matches in last president cup, only played 2 out of 4 pairs matches as no proper partner and lost both in last Ryder cup (did win singles in both in fairness). So 2 points from 7.

His successful partnership with Spieth wouldn’t be there as on this scenario would need both him and Spieth to get wildcard, and then Spieth would be with JT, so no natural partner.

Add in personality and issues with team room from last Ryder Cup with the criticism Justine and Patrick voiced about pairings. You’d have to be very confident he wins more points than he costs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

839DDD4F-C8A7-4589-9A0B-894D50991BA1.jpeg

The current standings

It was good to see Lowry and Garcia get a bit of form and start to get in amongst it all again

Harrington is going to have some tough choices as there will be some top players missing out

Unless there are some dramatic return to form for the likes of Poulter , Stenson and Molinari then there is every chance they miss out

Couple of good vice captains there though ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Stenson and Molinari have been out of the reckoning for quite a while. Poulter I'm less sure on, he might still get a wildcard pick just because he's basically Mr Ryder Cup. Strange to see Rose not up there, I never imagined he would drop so much. I would like to see MacIntyre make it in, I think he would give them something different to think about, bit more of an unknown quantity.

D

Deleted member 1418

Poulter and Stenson - definitely out.

Molinari and Rose - more out than in at the moment, based on form, but can see both of them turning things around.

Sergio I can see getting a wildcard pick, especially given his RC record and perhaps as a 4BBB partner for Rahm.

The one player I can see getting a wildcard is MacIntyre.

Also another name potentially coming into the mix if he has a good few months is Matt Wallace. His form has dropped off a bit, but he's got a hard edge about him that could be useful in the US, especially if Covid restrictions are eased in terms of spectators.

Grizzly

Visit site
I reckon Harrington would be reasonably happy with how that sits right now - eight of the nine names would be ones he would be very comfortable with, even with Westy admitting his stamina gave out on his at the Players - and Perez (my ninth) would not overly phase him, though I think he'd like Garcia to qualify from there.

I reckon Rose will get a pick as long as he is close to form. Molinari has started to show signs of form lately, though he might be a long way back to qualify without winning a Major now.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I know it's said quite often, but more than in recent memory those two teams look to have a gulf in them.

I'm pleased Westwood looks to be in form and wouldnt mind him being in the team this time, not a fan as a pick for a player completely out of form as has happened in the past for fav players.

Looking at the above and players being discussed as picks. They just seem so much weaker than the US options.

Hopefully the good old team spirit shines through again!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
On the American list, once you get below 5, there really isn't much to worry about. I don't think they are as strong as they have been.

D

Deleted member 15344

I know it's said quite often, but more than in recent memory those two teams look to have a gulf in them.

I'm pleased Westwood looks to be in form and wouldnt mind him being in the team this time, not a fan as a pick for a player completely out of form as has happened in the past for fav players.

Looking at the above and players being discussed as picks. They just seem so much weaker than the US options.

It’s always irrelevant when it’s comes to the Ryder Cup but the current split in the top 20 for example is 12 USA players and 7 European

But I remember in the 90’s and 2000’s when we have just about had one or two in the top 20

But looking at the rankings it certainly looks weighted heavily towards the US

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I must admit, I've thought that for the last few Ryder Cups but it rarely goes like it should on paper.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
It’s always irrelevant when it’s comes to the Ryder Cup but the current split in the top 20 for example is 12 USA players and 7 European

But I remember in the 90’s and 2000’s when we have just about had one or two in the top 20

But looking at the rankings it certainly looks weighted heavily towards the US

I agree form can go out the window and hopefully does again.

But looking at the top for both. I can't help but think there's look like a more dynamic team.

Happy to be wrong though!