The Masters 2022

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Not many majors where you can afford to four putt the last and still win.
Scheffler deserved it.
Nice to see tiger finish but he looked shot and in pain.
Rory still got it but he needs consistency.

I think this year will have done Rory the world of good... he was out there in the most difficult conditions on the Friday. he'd have been content with where he was but the wind completely died for the lads last out on the Friday. and fair play to scheffler he took full advantage.

The problem he has is year on year the talent pool just gets better and better

the peak years of golfers seem to be 22-26 where they just come out of the college systems and have zero fear

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think this year will have done Rory the world of good... he was out there in the most difficult conditions on the Friday. he'd have been content with where he was but the wind completely died for the lads last out on the Friday. and fair play to scheffler he took full advantage.

The problem he has is year on year the talent pool just gets better and better

the peak years of golfers seem to be 22-26 where they just come out of the college systems and have zero fear
Yes but was great to see him firing on all cylinders.
Just a bit to late.
18th with Morikawa was fantastic.

D

Deleted member 1147

The fact Rory was top 10 after 3 rounds, and still over par tells a lot. As Depreston says, he had the worst of the weather, and only shot +1 on Friday. He had no disaster, just it didn't quite happen for him.
Even the winners, particularly in Majors, don't tend to shoot 4 good-great rounds. There is normally a couple of average-good ones. We've seen many events won by someone no where near the pointy end on Thursday & Friday nights.
So I don't see too much to worry about with Rory, I certainly don't think the normal caddy/will to win/etc rubbish is relevant. He just got beaten by the best player in the world right now. A guy who is playing brilliant golf.
Also, Rory beat everyone else, including all those that are supposedly ahead of him now that he's getting older.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The fact Rory was top 10 after 3 rounds, and still over par tells a lot. As Depreston says, he had the worst of the weather, and only shot +1 on Friday. He had no disaster, just it didn't quite happen for him.
Even the winners, particularly in Majors, don't tend to shoot 4 good-great rounds. There is normally a couple of average-good ones. We've seen many events won by someone no where near the pointy end on Thursday & Friday nights.
So I don't see too much to worry about with Rory, I certainly don't think the normal caddy/will to win/etc rubbish is relevant. He just got beaten by the best player in the world right now. A guy who is playing brilliant golf.
Also, Rory beat everyone else, including all those that are supposedly ahead of him now that he's getting older.
Yes I agree .
But he threw away some really silly ones on Friday.
Three putting from 10’. Is it a concentration thing.
you could see the difference in him on Sunday he was buzzing with the adrenaline.
Just hope it continues.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
? I throw up in my mouth each time they use the words "patrons" over fans. It's as bad as buch saying "3 metal"
Wonder what Bobby Jones would have thought on calling spectators ‘patrons’ as he was against Cliff Roberts’ idea of calling the Augusta National Invitation Tournament…The Masters.

Jones thought that just too presumptuous a title for a tournament of their own creation and just a bit immodest of Roberts. In time he came round to the name as it became clear over the following years that that was what the newspapers insisted on calling it as those playing were indeed mostly those who had ‘mastered’ the game of golf.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
.So I don't see too much to worry about with Rory, I certainly don't think the normal caddy/will to win/etc rubbish is relevant. He just got beaten by the best player in the world right now. A guy who is playing brilliant golf..

I agree it’s not panic stations, but it’s the first round I’ve seen him play in quite a while where he’s not immediately leaning one way or the other straight after impact on most iron shots.
I don’t have any confidence he won’t get round without a handful of bogeys when I see him leaning like that, and I really want him back to his best.

I‘d be interested to know what he said if any interviewer asked if afterwards if he found something in his swing or he just “had it“ that round?

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree it’s not panic stations, but it’s the first round I’ve seen him play in quite a while where he’s not immediately leaning one way or the other straight after impact on most iron shots.
I don’t have any confidence he won’t get round without a handful of bogeys when I see him leaning like that, and I really want him back to his best.

I‘d be interested to know what he said if any interviewer asked if afterwards if he found something in his swing or he just “had it“ that round?

He mentioned that through the four days he just started to feel enjoyment in his swing and that he knew he wasn’t going to hit every shot perfect but that at times he might have to grind a little

For me that was the best I have seen him play since he won the Fed Ex before Lockdown

He has a great platform to build on and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him winning a major this year

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He mentioned that through the four days he just started to feel enjoyment in his swing and that he knew he wasn’t going to hit every shot perfect but that at times he might have to grind a little

For me that was the best I have seen him play since he won the Fed Ex before Lockdown

He has a great platform to build on and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him winning a major this year

But for me the issue is one of consistency and at times shot selection and concentration. We saw that wood into the water in the desert which was a high risk shot and not necessary when a pitch close and a putt would have had the desired result. The silly putts he missed at Augusta cost him and that had nothing to do with what side of the draw he was on, just a mental weakness. The Fed Ex before lockdown was a long time ago and sadly more and more players like Scheffler, Smith, Morikawa have arrived. In my opinion he won't win another major until/unless he can be consistent over four rounds

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
But for me the issue is one of consistency and at times shot selection and concentration. We saw that wood into the water in the desert which was a high risk shot and not necessary when a pitch close and a putt would have had the desired result. The silly putts he missed at Augusta cost him and that had nothing to do with what side of the draw he was on, just a mental weakness. The Fed Ex before lockdown was a long time ago and sadly more and more players like Scheffler, Smith, Morikawa have arrived. In my opinion he won't win another major until/unless he can be consistent over four rounds

What insight!
That's almost like that's the same for every player......

Until the start of this season Scheffler n Smith wouldn't have been on many people's lips. It's a bit soon to decide they will dominate for years.

Rory imo is akin to Rooney. Was always the best growing up and it came easy. He won easy and missed the boat a little by not putting the same hard yards in as others (DJ) being the prime example of improving his biggest weakness.

The one good thing is that in recent years the hunger seems to have come back. Imo he will win another major. Maybe too. But I don't see any more periods of dominance.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What insight!
That's almost like that's the same for every player......

Until the start of this season Scheffler n Smith wouldn't have been on many people's lips. It's a bit soon to decide they will dominate for years.

Rory imo is akin to Rooney. Was always the best growing up and it came easy. He won easy and missed the boat a little by not putting the same hard yards in as others (DJ) being the prime example of improving his biggest weakness.

The one good thing is that in recent years the hunger seems to have come back. Imo he will win another major. Maybe too. But I don't see any more periods of dominance.

Point is Rory has a history now of either starting slowly and giving himself too much to do or throws in an over par round to take himself out of contention. I think the analogy to Rooney is apt and it did seem when he was winning majors he wasn't looking ahead to what was needed next to stay ahead of the pack. Don't get me wrong he has always been a wonderful golfer to watch, but he has never had the work ethic of a DJ (of Faldo back in the day) and seems to struggle to grind the very best score out when it isn't going to plan A

I never suggested Scheffler would dominate for years and his emergence is just a sign of the likes of the younger guns like Smith etc taking the game on again. At 32 McIlroy has it all. Money, and a settled family life so the question remains, how hungry is he to still put in the hard yards. His putting has been a weakness (highlighted by so many "experts" on TV) and the silly putts this week showed lapses.

Lets be fair, when he's on a roll like yesterday he is still a force in the game. For me it doesn't happen often enough and over the course of the whole event often enough. That is my bugbear

evemccc

Visit site
Don’t think Rory ever wins at Augusta…it’s a second shot / putting course and that’s not his strength

I could see him winning an Open at TOC or Liverpool if it’s relatively windless, but I wouldn’t bet on it

His biggest strength was his driving and though it’s still his strength - and still excellent - there are a lot of others now who drive it as far, and his iron/wedge/Putting isn’t as good as several of the young guns who’ve broken through and won majors since he last won his