Ryder Cup 2018 - Paris

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I think it is fair to say that for both the USA team and the Europe team the basis of both teams will be there for a good few years. Molinari, fleetwood, Rose, Mcilroy etc etc. The same could be said for the Americans. However, the rift that has widely opened up in the American camp re Speith and Reed is not going to go away tomorrow. It is not and will not help the American cause in any way shape or form. So how do they deal with it?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think it is fair to say that for both the USA team and the Europe team the basis of both teams will be there for a good few years. Molinari, fleetwood, Rose, Mcilroy etc etc. The same could be said for the Americans. However, the rift that has widely opened up in the American camp re Speith and Reed is not going to go away tomorrow. It is not and will not help the American cause in any way shape or form. So how do they deal with it?

A square go between them, no mates, no knives, no jumping in?

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think it needs to be pointed out that Rory had those views BEFORE he ever experienced the Ryder Cup for himself. Yes, he said it was an exhibition etc, but that wasn't from a position of knowledge, it was before he actually realised what it meant.

As soon as he took part he very quickly realised he was wrong, once he had actually experienced it. So whilst he perhaps didn't explain it very well, Phil is actually correct on this one.

You can tell what it means to the players, they all want to be involved, heck, it reduced many of them to tears.

It may have initially been seen as an exhibition match many years ago (I don't know, I wasn't around then) but it most certainly isn't now. Anyone arguing it is, either doesn't know what they are talking about or are simply arguing for the sake of it.

Tiger was hurting he lost all 4 matches, but what do people want, blood? The infighting within the US camp, whilst not very good from a team perspective, proves they actually care.

They just need to go about it the right way is all. I'm sure they'll find a solution again.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it needs to be pointed out that Rory had those views BEFORE he ever experienced the Ryder Cup for himself. Yes, he said it was an exhibition etc, but that wasn't from a position of knowledge, it was before he actually realised what it meant.

As soon as he took part he very quickly realised he was wrong, once he had actually experienced it. So whilst he perhaps didn't explain it very well, Phil is actually correct on this one.

You can tell what it means to the players, they all want to be involved, heck, it reduced many of them to tears.

It may have initially been seen as an exhibition match many years ago (I don't know, I wasn't around then) but it most certainly isn't now. Anyone arguing it is, either doesn't know what they are talking about or are simply arguing for the sake of it.

Tiger was hurting he lost all 4 matches, but what do people want, blood? The infighting within the US camp, whilst not very good from a team perspective, proves they actually care.

They just need to go about it the right way is all. I'm sure they'll find a solution again.
But even us lot who have only watched it on telly wouldn't dismiss it that way would we? Still seems a strange comment from someone whose whole life is golf.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It may be that it was the right pairing and best way to win maximum points especially with Reed's play, but the fact they won 3-1 isn't proof that was the best set up to win maximum points.

If you had to play three league 1 teams with a mix of man city first team, B team and u21s, then you could put them out as they are, first team win with better quality and the others lose. That doesn't mean it was vinidication that they weren't the problem and that was the best way to win three, when you could have mixed the quality first team players into the u21s and had three good teams, rather than one great team, thereby giving you a better chance of success.

If Spieth chosing to play with JT weakened three other teams and their focus, then arguably 3-1 with the others losing (so 3-13) is a poorer result then 4 teams going 2-2 (8-8) (figures just an example). It also though can easily be put on Reed who clearly is a difficult person to associate with.

It is semantics though as we'll never know, but I think a European captain would also get criticised if they made a raft of changes in the week which resulted in a loss.

However the crucial part in all this (the part that Loud Mouth Larry can't grasp) is that Jordan didn't decide who he was playing with, Spieth very diplomatically stated that it was a team decision before Furyk very graciously overruled Spieth by stating that it was his decision and he carries the can.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Spieth and Thomas went 3-1. The only winning partnership for the US team. Furyk made some poor decisions, putting Spieth and JT together wasn't one of them. Reed played poorly Friday and Saturday - I seriously doubt sticking him with Spieth would have changed that. Jordan couldn't have won that match on Saturday on his own, just like Tiger couldn't.

Spot on

D

Deleted member 15344

However the crucial part in all this (the part that Loud Mouth Larry can't grasp) is that Jordan didn't decide who he was playing with, Spieth very diplomatically stated that it was a team decision before Furyk very graciously overruled Spieth by stating that it was his decision and he carries the can.
“Loud Mouth Larry” - using childish nicknames - would have thought that would be below you

So when looking at the facts

You have a team of - Reed and Spieth who percentage wise are the most successful US Ryder Cup team for a long time and you have a team of Fowler and Thomas who were unbeaten in the Presidents Cup , you have a team of DJ and Koepka who were unbeaten in the Presidents Cup plus there was Woods and DeChambeu playing well together

So the “team” or was it Furyk decided to split up successful teams to form a team with two mates who did well and then other teams that were very and it had nothing to do with Spieth not getting with one and instead wanting to play with a mate ? Which was what Reed has said.

In 2016 Clarke got picks and partnerships wrong and you have given him plenty of criticism for yet “Captain Furyk” seems to have been given a pass.

Of course Spieth is going to say it was a “team” decision ( not sure what team though because clearly not a team Reed was in ) and of course Furyk is going to say it was his choice - that way it ensures that Spieth isn’t show to be someone who only wants it his way and it shows that Furyk wasn’t a weak captain.

Spieth and Thomas were a goodnight partnership but then the way Thomas played he would have played well with anyone

The US had strong partnerships and they were forged over previous Ryder Cups and President Cup - someone decided to pull them apart and it quite clearly backfired , the whole golf world scratched their heads when Reed was with Woods and DeChambeu was with Mickleson and as it transpired the picking of the partnerships from Friday afternoon onwards was key to the US losing the Ryder Cup.

D

Deleted member 15344

1. Rory made a comment before experiencing an event when he was young - he has since said that after playing in the event he was quite clearly wrong about that comment - nothing to do with any backlash and he has explained it many times.

2. You only have to see the way the players and fans to react to see it quite clearly isn’t an exhibition match - they play for a highly valued trophy. Players playing in an exhibition don’t celebrate the way they do

3. If the RC didn’t matter to Woods why would he be a Vice-Captain? Why would he take time out of his schedule if he wasn’t interested in it , why jump on a plane straight after winning to fly hours across the Atlantic just for an event that means nothing to him ?

4. Which golfers say that their Ryder Cup points they won mean “nothing” to them

5. Yes Nicklaus will no doubt have his major victories rates higher for him - no doubt others will think the same but that doesn’t mean the event is nothing to them - It meant a hell of lot to people like Seve and other major winners

At the end of the day as you are clearly a Tiger Woods fan and because Woods doesn’t have a very good record in the event a way to downplay that poor record is to devalue the Ryder Cup and the meaning it has to the players.
Only have to look at the video the European Team were show to see how much they value it , only have to look at the way players celebrate just winning holes or single points - you don’t see that on the tour

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
“Loud Mouth Larry” - using childish nicknames - would have thought that would be below you

So when looking at the facts

You have a team of - Reed and Spieth who percentage wise are the most successful US Ryder Cup team for a long time and you have a team of Fowler and Thomas who were unbeaten in the Presidents Cup , you have a team of DJ and Koepka who were unbeaten in the Presidents Cup plus there was Woods and DeChambeu playing well together

So the “team” or was it Furyk decided to split up successful teams to form a team with two mates who did well and then other teams that were very and it had nothing to do with Spieth not getting with one and instead wanting to play with a mate ? Which was what Reed has said.

In 2016 Clarke got picks and partnerships wrong and you have given him plenty of criticism for yet “Captain Furyk” seems to have been given a pass.

Of course Spieth is going to say it was a “team” decision ( not sure what team though because clearly not a team Reed was in ) and of course Furyk is going to say it was his choice - that way it ensures that Spieth isn’t show to be someone who only wants it his way and it shows that Furyk wasn’t a weak captain.

Spieth and Thomas were a goodnight partnership but then the way Thomas played he would have played well with anyone

The US had strong partnerships and they were forged over previous Ryder Cups and President Cup - someone decided to pull them apart and it quite clearly backfired , the whole golf world scratched their heads when Reed was with Woods and DeChambeu was with Mickleson and as it transpired the picking of the partnerships from Friday afternoon onwards was key to the US losing the Ryder Cup.

You really have an issue with accepting what is truth and what is made up in your head. Even when people prove you wrong you still continue to argue. Its comedy gold with with it really is.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pa...as-about-to-light-the-room-up-like-phil-in-14

D

Deleted member 15344

You really have an issue with accepting what is truth and what is made up in your head. Even when people prove you wrong you still continue to argue. Its comedy gold with with it really is.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pa...as-about-to-light-the-room-up-like-phil-in-14

Again I’m not how you think that proves I’m wrong - Reed has said the partnership was split up because of Spieth saying he doesn’t want to play with - Spieth isn’t exactly going to come out and say it at the Press Conference because he knows it paints Furyk as a weak captain and Spieth as a player who puts his own wishes ahead of others.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
So when Furyk states that it was his decision that is made up too??

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

As I say comedy gold, LiverpoolPhil, the gift that keeps giving. Think you need to go back on the block list. :censored:

D

Deleted member 15344

So when Furyk states that it was his decision that is made up too??

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

As I say comedy gold, LiverpoolPhil, the gift that keeps giving. Think you need to go back on the block list. :censored:

Yet Spieth says it was a team decision ? Which is it Craw ?

So it’s a team decision or Furyks decision - or basically Spieth told him he doesn’t want to play with Reed as Reed has said.

All seems a complete mess - something that you crucified Clarke.