Ryder Cup 2018 - Paris

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Gopher

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site
Its also why Tiger and Phil have won as much as they have done. Missing fairways by 40/50 yards is rewarded by a shot off of another fairway with a wedge back over some trees. Hardly a challenging shot for them.

Too true, that's the way USPGA courses are set up - a 450 yard hole which is tamed by a 320 yard drive and wedge into a receptive green. Even if they miss the fairway the rough is non-existant so it's a wedge over the crowd or worst case, a chip out to 80 yards then a half wedge into a dartboard green. That's what the Yanks are used to and they couldn't cope with a course that has 20 yards of proper rough before the crowds. They are experienced, multi-millionaire tour players so why couldn't they adapt..?
Tiger 0-4... just lost his claim to be the best golfer in history in my opinion.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Too true, that's the way USPGA courses are set up - a 450 yard hole which is tamed by a 320 yard drive and wedge into a receptive green. Even if they miss the fairway the rough is non-existant so it's a wedge over the crowd or worst case, a chip out to 80 yards then a half wedge into a dartboard green. That's what the Yanks are used to and they couldn't cope with a course that has 20 yards of proper rough before the crowds. They are experienced, multi-millionaire tour players so why couldn't they adapt..?
Tiger 0-4... just lost his claim to be the best golfer in history in my opinion.

Slight hyperbole on the Tiger point personally, particularly when he was let down by playing partners as well in pairs. Would we say Jack's record is poor as he played against weak teams before the rule change in 77 to introduce continental Europe. He only played one Ryder Cup after that point so perhaps that means he can't be a great. The answer is no as that's rubbish.

Gopher

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site
I guess it's purely a matter of opinion as to who can claim to be the greatest, as you say statistics can be skewed to prove any point..whether it's pre or post Europe joining the party, who your partners are in 4some and 4ball, whether it's a strong or weak opposition, home or abroad... so many factors so it's entirely subjective. But for Ryder Cup competitiveness, sportsmanship, results, demeanour and team value, Jack has it for me.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I guess it's purely a matter of opinion as to who can claim to be the greatest, as you say statistics can be skewed to prove any point..whether it's pre or post Europe joining the party, who your partners are in 4some and 4ball, whether it's a strong or weak opposition, home or abroad... so many factors so it's entirely subjective. But for Ryder Cup competitiveness, sportsmanship, results, demeanour and team value, Jack has it for me.

Whilst the wayward driving off the tee was a big factor in the USA losing I don’t fully agree with the notion that they can’t play the type of courses they encountered in France.

They do ok when they come over and play in our open.

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In the grand scheme of things, Tiger's Ryder Cup record means nothing to him. It's all about the real Tour wins and Majors. Tiger along with Jack just see's the 'Cup as just an ''exhibition''.

Even Rory went on record saying ''not that important to me'' until he got blasted by the media/public and had to change his tune. He probably still stands by his statement. Because like most Hall Of Famers they want to be remembered in history by Tour/Major wins and not mickey mouse points.

D

Deleted member 15344

In the grand scheme of things, Tiger's Ryder Cup record means nothing to him. It's all about the real Tour wins and Majors. Tiger along with Jack just see's the 'Cup as just an ''exhibition''.

Even Rory went on record saying ''not that important to me'' until he got blasted by the media/public and had to change his tune. He probably still stands by his statement. Because like most Hall Of Famers they want to be remembered in history by Tour/Major wins and not mickey mouse points.

Sorry but that’s complete nonsense from start to finish - just a completely ridiculous post along with being blatantly false

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Whilst the wayward driving off the tee was a big factor in the USA losing I don’t fully agree with the notion that they can’t play the type of courses they encountered in France.

Yes that is true to an extent, however they have learned how to play links courses over the years. A stadium course their mentality is "bomb it and overpower" the course.

D

Deleted member 15344

Please, tell me what was false in any of my post??? There's reports everywhere of both Jack and Rory saying these things.

1. Rory has already admitted he was wrong when he said what he did and since playing in 4 RC has a totally different outlook

2. It’s not an exhibition match - quite clearly it isn’t

3. Woods plenty of times has said the RC means a lot to him hence why he said he was desperate for a wild card and previously accepted Vice captain roles

4. Winning points in the RC isn’t “Mickey mouse” and there will be a great deal of golfers who value the points they have won

5. As for Jack - yep just before the last RC he said the importance changed over the years - which was countered by Jacklin saying the importance changed for the US players because they kept losing

The event is the biggest in golf - you just need to look at the reactions of the players and staff etc to see it’s clearly not just an exhibition match

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
1. Rory has already admitted he was wrong when he said what he did and since playing in 4 RC has a totally different outlook

2. It’s not an exhibition match - quite clearly it isn’t

3. Woods plenty of times has said the RC means a lot to him hence why he said he was desperate for a wild card and previously accepted Vice captain roles

4. Winning points in the RC isn’t “Mickey mouse” and there will be a great deal of golfers who value the points they have won

5. As for Jack - yep just before the last RC he said the importance changed over the years - which was countered by Jacklin saying the importance changed for the US players because they kept losing

The event is the biggest in golf - you just need to look at the reactions of the players and staff etc to see it’s clearly not just an exhibition match

Wrong again and can't admit it!

:sleep::sleep::sleep:

Fact is fact Rory came out and stated said what he said.

Gopher

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site

...????

I never said anything about them not being able to play the type of course they encountered in France.. were you replying to the right post or just talking jibberish?

As it happens though, if you think that Le National with its deep, lush rough and water hazards is comparable to an Open links style course then you must be watching a different game, or know very little about golf.

D

Deleted member 15344

Nonsense about Spieth. Spieth and Thomas are very good mates, they play together, they practice together, they holiday together. Simply they gel and they know each others games. Given the choice of playing in a match with someone who's game you know inside out and trust over someone who you don't its a no brainer. Thomas hasn't played Ryder Cup before, Spieth has therefore playing with a trusted mate is a big advantage and to be honest it wasn't that pairing that let Captain Furyk or Team USA down.
Forgot to visit this

Yep Spieth wanted to play with mate above and beyond what was good for the team

Spieth and Reed formed the most successful partnership over the last two RC in 14 and 16 as well as being unbeaten in Presidents Cup I believe

Thomas and Fowler were paired together in Presidents Cup and were also unbeaten as a pair

So if Spieth had ignored any personal feelings about any player and carried on a clearly successful partnership then the US could have had two partnerships playing well instead of one - but then the US players appear incapable of putting aside any personal feelings

And quite clearly it was a lot of the pairings that Furyk put together that failed and was a big issue - the Comp lost on that first afternoon and the players he put out in the first Foursomes

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Forgot to visit this

Spieth and Reed formed the most successful partnership over the last two RC in 14 and 16 as well as being unbeaten in Presidents Cup I believe

Thomas and Fowler were paired together in Presidents Cup and were also unbeaten as a pair

So if Spieth had ignored any personal feelings about any player and carried on a clearly successful partnership then the US could have had two partnerships playing well instead of one - but then the US players appear incapable of putting aside any personal feelings

And quite clearly it was a lot of the pairings that Furyk put together that failed and was a big issue - the Comp lost on that first afternoon and the players he put out in the first Foursomes

Wrong again. It was a team decision. :ROFLMAO:

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
1. Rory has already admitted he was wrong when he said what he did and since playing in 4 RC has a totally different outlook so would you change you're tune when thy whole of social media is on you're case. Bottom line is if he was to retire today and you asked him what was more important, his ''proper'' wins or his RC record, take a wild guess what his real honest answer will be?

2. It’s not an exhibition match - quite clearly it isn’t Agree to disagree....or isn't that allowed with you? :sleep:

3. Woods plenty of times has said the RC means a lot to him hence why he said he was desperate for a wild card and previously accepted Vice captain roles (pre fused back surgery) he's said many times he's hitting the ball the best he ever has and that his back is getting much stronger with no hints of pain. Sometimes, as a fan or as a hater, you should take what he says with a pinch of salt. :ROFLMAO: And when have you believed anything that he say's anyway?

4. Winning points in the RC isn’t “Mickey mouse” and there will be a great deal of golfers who value the points they have won and believe it or not, there are golfers that don't. SHOCK HORROR!! :eek:

5. As for Jack - yep just before the last RC he said the importance changed over the years - which was countered by Jacklin saying the importance changed for the US players because they kept losing As an ambassador for the game of golf, I'm not surprised he would say this. But deep down he knows his magical 18 will always trump the RC record.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Forgot to visit this

We'll never know whether the different pairs would have won more but it was quite clear from the "task force", presidents cup and golf journalists that the pairings were fairly certain before travelling to France. The Spieth/Reed dispute has disrupted a lot, the two mentioned but also I think Tiger and Dechambeau had practiced and expected to play together. DJ and Brooks (although maybe not after the news stories) were probably going to play together more but then Rickie/DJ split that.

Not the sign of cohesion was it, although saying that it sounds like the Rory/Poults partnership wasn't planned so still down to the golf on the day.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Forgot to visit this

Spieth and Thomas went 3-1. The only winning partnership for the US team. Furyk made some poor decisions, putting Spieth and JT together wasn't one of them. Reed played poorly Friday and Saturday - I seriously doubt sticking him with Spieth would have changed that. Jordan couldn't have won that match on Saturday on his own, just like Tiger couldn't.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Spieth and Thomas went 3-1. The only winning partnership for the US team. Furyk made some poor decisions, putting Spieth and JT together wasn't one of them. Reed played poorly Friday and Saturday - I seriously doubt sticking him with Spieth would have changed that. Jordan couldn't have won that match on Saturday on his own, just like Tiger couldn't.

It may be that it was the right pairing and best way to win maximum points especially with Reed's play, but the fact they won 3-1 isn't proof that was the best set up to win maximum points.

If you had to play three league 1 teams with a mix of man city first team, B team and u21s, then you could put them out as they are, first team win with better quality and the others lose. That doesn't mean it was vinidication that they weren't the problem and that was the best way to win three, when you could have mixed the quality first team players into the u21s and had three good teams, rather than one great team, thereby giving you a better chance of success.

If Spieth chosing to play with JT weakened three other teams and their focus, then arguably 3-1 with the others losing (so 3-13) is a poorer result then 4 teams going 2-2 (8-8) (figures just an example). It also though can easily be put on Reed who clearly is a difficult person to associate with.

It is semantics though as we'll never know, but I think a European captain would also get criticised if they made a raft of changes in the week which resulted in a loss.