Ryder Cup 2018 - Paris

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Neither of them had their finest hour but Woods loss ratio (21 from 37) is significantly worse than Mickelson (22 from 47) and more might be expected of Tiger as he is clearly the greater individual player.

what are their respective rates in the singles?

For me, that's the only record that show's how they preform at the event.

Mr Ryder Cup himself wouldn't have won a point paired with Mickelson this week.....

D

Deleted member 18588

what are their respective rates in the singles?

For me, that's the only record that show's how they preform at the event.

Mr Ryder Cup himself wouldn't have won a point paired with Mickelson this week.....

Woods 4W 2L 2H Win Ratio 50%
Mickelson 8W 6L 1H Win Ratio 53%

So no great difference

D

Deleted member 18588

Like you said, probably a little low for the calibre of players they are, but also not surprising that its a better ratio than when in pairs.

Their records, and to a large extent Rory's, shows that the mistake is for either side to rely too heavily on the "marquee" players.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
The difference between the teams was enormous.
USA, not a team but twelve individuals thrust together.
Europe, not so much a team as a family. A band of twelve very close brothers with Bjorn as their dad.

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
Re the argument hardly any septics came to play the French Open. If the tables were reversed and the Ryder Cup venue in the US was played on a course where some tin pot tournament was contested do you think many of the Europeans would have turned up?

Playing the course regularly doesn’t seem to hold back the septics in The Open

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Re the argument hardly any septics came to play the French Open. If the tables were reversed and the Ryder Cup venue in the US was played on a course where some tin pot tournament was contested do you think many of the Europeans would have turned up?

Playing the course regularly doesn’t seem to hold back the septics in The Open

I think this is true to an extent, but the course is very different to your average US tour course.

I think Furyk had a tough time. So many of his team are not team guys, picks or not. So many really don't get on much either. There is a core of guys, JT, JS, RF, BK, DJ, who get on, and they need to build on, and then there are PR, TW PM, BdeC, Bubs, who are a nightmare. I though Webb was a fair addition, and may be looking forward Shuffly, Kisner, Cantlay, can fill some gaps along with Finau. They need to build a team, and this mess wasn't.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Also, after Hasetine, PR threw JS under the bus, saying he had carried him round the whole event. He is then tee'd off when JS wants to play with his buddy JT in Paris. Wow, did he really think JS would wantbto play with him after that?

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
I think this is true to an extent, but the course is very different to your average US tour course.

I think Furyk had a tough time. So many of his team are not team guys, picks or not. So many really don't get on much either. There is a core of guys, JT, JS, RF, BK, DJ, who get on, and they need to build on, and then there are PR, TW PM, BdeC, Bubs, who are a nightmare. I though Webb was a fair addition, and may be looking forward Shuffly, Kisner, Cantlay, can fill some gaps along with Finau. They need to build a team, and this mess wasn't.
That’s where I think the septics fall down in the RC they don’t appear to have any team spirit. In my opinion they appear to enjoy the PC more. There problem I know

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People go on about the USA need to make a team and remove the individuals

Excuse my ignorance but if they are top 8 they auto make the picks correct? So reed (key ***) will always be in the team because he is a good golfer despite him being a class a knob

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
People go on about the USA need to make a team and remove the individuals

Excuse my ignorance but if they are top 8 they auto make the picks correct? So reed (key ***) will always be in the team because he is a good golfer despite him being a class a knob

Indeed, and that is why I feel sorry for Furyk, although he then compounded it with his Captains picks, 3 of whom are not easy team mates.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The other thing with the build a team thingy, is that it is not just about Ryder Cup week. This is a 2 year process, and it needs to be worked on for this period. It can't just be a 10 day project. Start building a team ethos now, for next time.

The Presidents cup thing works, becayse they always win. No pressure to expose the flaws.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
As the singles session has 12 points available it is easy to dismiss the team element for the US a little. Doesn't matter how close a team you are if the other team keeps holing the putts.

I can see a phase now where the home team keeps winning. The big upset being an away win.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can see a phase now where the home team keeps winning. The big upset being an away win.
I think this is a massive point. The Americans are going to choose bombers courses, no rough, wide fairways etc, the Europeans will go for sculpted courses where accuracy is more relevant. A bit like recent Ashes series, it could become a little dull if they are not careful with fans only really watching the home event and passing on the away one.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most top European players play the US tour and are away from home.
They eat / play and share rooms / houses together ,this creates a team atmosphere.
The US players all have their own entourage around them , but with private jets / helicopters they don’t spend as much time together as the European players.
US players seem to have bigger egos than we do , maybe it’s just the American way!

Patrick Reed is an example of not engaging his brain before speaking,
Or does he just tell the truth?
We only know what the media tell us.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not buying this not playing the course nonsense. They were there on Tuesday and these guys are the best players in the world. A few days is all they need to adapt their game and equipment to suit.
Totally agree this is what they do every week. It’s their job!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I'm not buying this not playing the course nonsense. They were there on Tuesday and these guys are the best players in the world. A few days is all they need to adapt their game and equipment to suit.

Trouble is though Val, the bits I saw, all the top pundits were saying they were missing fairways, shots into the greens were short, putts left short. Course management wrong. Some pundits even saying the yanks are based in Florida and are not used to the cold weather where the ball does not fly or move as much. There was a lot wrong that the yanks just never seemed to get right.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

This. Whistling Straights will be 7000 yards, rough cut back and thinned, flags in the geometric centre of fast greens. Can see the Ryder Cup flip-flopping between Europe and the US for the next few years as conditions become more extreme between the two hosts.