Ryder Cup 2018 - Paris

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Overall it was for me a brilliant Ryder Cup -Bjorn imo got one partnership wrong ( Rory and Olesen) but everything else spot on - his picks , the order they played in ,the course set up and most impressively the way he spoke all throughout the event - reminded me a bit like Langer in 04 , he was inspiring
this. 100%. 👍

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anyway

A few things that were prob a surprise to most over the last couple of days

Woods losing all four of his matches
Molinari winning all five of his
Spieth being smashed in the singles after being superb for the two days previously
The impact of both Garcia and Poulter on the event
Fleetwood bursting out of his shell with his celebrations to match his brilliant play
Thomas and Simpson being the best two players on the US Team
Furyk under using players like Finau and Simpson
DeShambles winning zero points

Overall it was for me a brilliant Ryder Cup -Bjorn imo got one partnership wrong ( Rory and Olesen) but everything else spot on - his picks , the order they played in ,the course set up and most impressively the way he spoke all throughout the event - reminded me a bit like Langer in 04 , he was inspiring and after all the talk of the US team being the best since 81 - they got well and truely stuffed.

Furyk and his players made a lot of mistakes

The first was the lack of players playing the course in the lead up to the event - only four rounds played by a US player since it was revamped - all by Thomas who was their best performer. Furyk Wild Cards - you cant blame him for Woods and DeShambles everyone would have picked them and thought they would steamroller people whilst Finau played well but picking Mickleson was a master stroke for Europe - and then some of the pairings were mad and whilst Europe were superb throughout - the US gave them a great help.

What they do at Whilstling Straits will be interesting- can they make that course a biridie fest ?

On another note I was disappointed with at times the way the crowd reacted - booing players , cheering poor shots - issues with fans with players, I hope it’s not creeping towards Brookline levels again - if so the next one could be very volatile
Very good summary.

D

Deleted member 15344

http://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/patrick-reed-takes-pop-at-jordan-spieth-for-causing-break-up

Well it’s started already

And Reed has a point , all personal feelings should go out of the window when it comes to RC - it should always be about the collective yet Spieth wanted his own personal feelings to override what’s best for the team - it’s something that the US just don’t get in RC

Spieth and Reed as a pair were superb , Thomas would be able to play with anyone

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perhaps it’s just me, but I can’t say I was totally convinced Michelson putting his tee shot into the water wasn’t premeditated.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
http://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/patrick-reed-takes-pop-at-jordan-spieth-for-causing-break-up

And Reed has a point , all personal feelings should go out of the window when it comes to RC - it should always be about the collective yet Spieth wanted his own personal feelings to override what’s best for the team - it’s something that the US just don’t get in RC

Spieth and Reed as a pair were superb , Thomas would be able to play with anyone

Add the fact that Reed has to see himself as 'The Man' so partnering him with Woods is an even worse decision

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I watched the press conference and it was very awkward between those two at the table. As for Shipnuck, The link I posted last night shows he hadn't changed his mind and has a good point about the average of the teams going forward.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Nonsense about Spieth. Spieth and Thomas are very good mates, they play together, they practice together, they holiday together. Simply they gel and they know each others games. Given the choice of playing in a match with someone who's game you know inside out and trust over someone who you don't its a no brainer. Thomas hasn't played Ryder Cup before, Spieth has therefore playing with a trusted mate is a big advantage and to be honest it wasn't that pairing that let Captain Furyk or Team USA down.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Next day, cold light of day. Interesting post someone made earlier about the Wildcard picks for the US. Easy to hammer Furyk now, easy to hammer the losing captain. Finau is a birdie machine and deserved to be picked. De Chambeau has been in great form and was a nailed on pick. He should have had a half yesterday, great last hole from him when mayhem was surrounding him.

The two to leave out then were Woods and Mickleson. With all the current love for Tiger, his standing in the game and in the US, it was inconceivable that he would be left out. You look at his record, you look at the course and you leave him out but blimey, imagine the pressure on Furyk had he done that. Mickleson was out of form and should not have been taken, particularly on that course. That, he can be criticised for.

The obvious one to take, having seen the course, would be Zach Johnson. He plots his way around a course, exactly what you need to do at that course. I don't know enough about Schauffle to know if he would have been better.

Either way, Furyk will get the stick that Clarke got last time. He picked Wild Cards that didn't pay off. Bjorn picked similar Wild Cards in Poulter and Garcia yet they worked for him. Tough being a captain, everyone is wise before and after the event.

The best comment of the week for me came on Saturday afternoon from Butch. 'To play this course you have to be on the short stuff. The Europeans have been better at that than the Americans'. He also added, 'I wish more tournaments were played on courses like this, it is how golf should be played'. Wise words from Butch.

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well that was a great watch, plenty heroes (on both sides) not too many villains and lots of good golf

The Fri PM/Sat AM results changed things so much, I think the US started to chase shots (as you might expect) and inevitably more errors can creep in instead of sticking to the plan which might well continue to not pay off

Fantastic last putt from Noren and well deserved to give him a 'glory' moment after having to play on while everyone else celebrated

Shame we have to wait two years for it to come round again

100% this, i felt for him having to continue and miss all the celebrations.
So glad he got his own 'moment', it will probably become the replayed moment when this one is looked back on (think Langers miss etc).

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Very interesting to see the stats from the Ryder Cup.

Rory was the worst driver of the ball in the European team, only Olesen was below him and that was because he didn't hit enough drives over the four days to count his stats. Stenson was the most accurate European with over 70% of fairways hit.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The two to leave out then were Woods and Mickleson. With all the current love for Tiger, his standing in the game and in the US, it was inconceivable that he would be left out. You look at his record, you look at the course and you leave him out but blimey, imagine the pressure on Furyk had he done that. Mickleson was out of form and should not have been taken, particularly on that course.

That's how I see it too.

Those 2 have also been a big problem for the US in many past events for several reasons (on and off the course).

Too big to drop with no doubt commercial and other pressures to ensure they're selected.

Not to Tiger bash as that's been done to death but again we saw the real him. And the real Phil. Not the version that's been presented to mitigate against their recent bad press. Cynical I know.

Compare against Poulter who really is not generally in the same league - says it all.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
100% this, i felt for him having to continue and miss all the celebrations.
So glad he got his own 'moment', it will probably become the replayed moment when this one is looked back on (think Langers miss etc).

This has got to be addressed for future Ryder Cups.

The players didn't help either, you had Fleetwood running around like an over excited wee puppy dog, Poulter was dressing up in a stupid costume. Show some respect until the remaining games are over. By all means celebrate but have a bit of decorum and respect your fellow professionals who are still playing in amongst what can now only be described as a circus atmosphere. Bryson and Noren did a tremendous job of preserving their professionalism and deserve huge credit.

The "officials" couldn't even "protect" the course and the last games were playing in minus tee markers as the crowd had stolen them. That isn't on.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wow, what a day that was yesterday, head's still banging

Set off Saturday for the long drive from the West Country down to Paris, was at the course 6:30 yesterday, was a bit chilly, people laughed at me for wearing shorts but was glad later.

Sussed the lay of the land, and decided on a spot on the 16th tee (well that worked out well later) approx 50yds from 15th green 100yds from 18th green, so could see 2nd shots on 15 & 18, straight down 16, and the 17th tee. Plus the bonus of big screen behind 15th green, so wouldn't miss much of the action during the long wait for live golf.

Amazing atmosphere from the moment we arrived, was impressed with the organisation by the French, not as polished as Hazeltine, but who can compete with the Americans for hospitality.

Course was awesome, well set-up by TB, not a putting comp like the last Ryder Cup. I swear some of the fairways were only 10yds wide, scary stuff when you bring the rough and the water into play!!!

To be at the front no more then a few feet away when Phil conceded was incredible, Tommy coming to us and high fiving us on the tee, and all the celebrations that followed were unreal and will live long in the memory. It was the sort of scene you watched on the highlight clips of previous Ryder Cups as you grow up, and to be right in the middle of was unforgettable.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wow, what a day that was yesterday, head's still banging

Set off Saturday for the long drive from the West Country down to Paris, was at the course 6:30 yesterday, was a bit chilly, people laughed at me for wearing shorts but was glad later.

Sussed the lay of the land, and decided on a spot on the 16th tee (well that worked out well later) approx 50yds from 15th green 100yds from 18th green, so could see 2nd shots on 15 & 18, straight down 16, and the 17th tee. Plus the bonus of big screen behind 15th green, so wouldn't miss much of the action during the long wait for live golf.

Amazing atmosphere from the moment we arrived, was impressed with the organisation by the French, not as polished as Hazeltine, but who can compete with the Americans for hospitality.

Course was awesome, well set-up by TB, not a putting comp like the last Ryder Cup. I swear some of the fairways were only 10yds wide, scary stuff when you bring the rough and the water into play!!!

To be at the front no more then a few feet away when Phil conceded was incredible, Tommy coming to us and high fiving us on the tee, and all the celebrations that followed were unreal and will live long in the memory. It was the sort of scene you watched on the highlight clips of previous Ryder Cups as you grow up, and to be right in the middle of was unforgettable.

How did you feel the crowd was? Seemed good humoured, a little boisterous, but not nasty or drunk/boorish from the sofa. There were a few negative remarks from some Aus journalists online, and it really didn't seem that bad to me.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Can’t comment on the footage. Currently sat in Gard Du Nord with a coffee trying to get my head around what I saw yesterday.

Atmosphere on the first is something to behold. Mind blowing, really. Walked most of the course, with our usual tactic of pick a group for a few holes, sit at a hole for a few groups, repeat. Until we decided to head to behind the 18th. What a decision! Looked a bit ominous when everyone’s was going mad on 16 and we were watching it on the big screens, but WHAT A PARTY afterwards! Will be trying to get a paper today as we were stood right behind the English boys as they were having pictures taken.

The only way I can describe that course is a golf Stadium. Every hole has an atmosphere, every green a bank to sit on. The design of the 15/18th greens next to each other in that cauldron is something else. The sheer noise across the course, but utter silence at someone is taking a shot, was incredible.

Totally unforgettable experience.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Phil is the only contentious US pick - the rest all made sense. Furyk would have been mad to not pick Tiger given how he was playing. He had a bad week - but he wasn't the only American to have a bad week and certainly wasn't the weakest player on the team. He played pretty well in the first fourball game but ran into the monster team of Moliwood, then on the Saturday he made 2 birdies, Reed made 0 and only came in on 4 holes, tough to win games with a partner that's stinking it up, prevented Tiger from being able to be aggressive. Phil, Bubba, Rickie, Reed and DJ all played poorly in parts - particularly Bubba and Fowler who didn't seem to have anything close to their a-game.

Also - interesting to note Spieth is 0-6-0 in Singles matches in US Team competitions. 0-3 in the RC, 0-3 in the Presidents Cup. Bizarre given how good he is.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How did you feel the crowd was? Seemed good humoured, a little boisterous, but not nasty or drunk/boorish from the sofa. There were a few negative remarks from some Aus journalists online, and it really didn't seem that bad to me.
From what I saw personally crowds were loud but fair, wasn't near the 1st tee so couldn't comment on there, it did look a bit manic

Did have a moment on 16th tee when DJ's caddy lost it with a spectator, don't know what that was all about, guys he was having a go at were right next to me, and I didn't hear anything. Happened well before he had even started to play his shot, but not a clue what was said

Visit site
Great weekend watching the golf...only moved from the sofa for more food and drink.

Course presented superbly by TB and negated the bombers, however Justin Thomas had the know-how to adjust and played very well.

Everyone of TB picks performed...just compare that to JF picks.

I wonder if he fancies a crack at retaining it on USA soil?