Ryder Cup 2018 - Paris

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great event and really enjoyed it.

And seeing that miserable, grumpy, sour-faced excuse for a team player Woods losing all four and not cracking a hint of a smile all week was more proof that golf can live without him and that he should devote his time to things he enjoys like nailing hookers!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I couldn't care less about how the US played. We won a cracking Ryder Cup played on a top course that rewarded good golf. I was throughly entertained for three days, and feel exhausted now.:eek:

The set up of the course shows how to take length out of play, unless it is straight. No smacking it in to the crowd, getting a perfect lie, and knocking it on to the green with backspin. Set the rough up tough, but have greens that will hold a good shot from the fairway. The US players just didn't get it until too late. Justin Thomas their best player finished 6th in the French open this year, and his course knowledge showed. I too like the way he plays. Think I know how the course will be set up in the US in two years time.:whistle:

I think every European won at least one match, which just shows it was a team win.

Bragging rights for Europe for the next two years. Don't you just love it.(y)

D

Deleted member 15344

Forgot to add - Congrats to Garcia - top European points scorer overtaking Langer and Faldo during the Comp , RC legend and inspired. What a two years he has had.

Onto the next one and which captain - think it’s going to Paddy Harrington

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What a day.. got a lot of DIY done .. anything in a 10 yard around the TV is nailed or glued to something ..

BTW.. why was everyone wearing a yellow ribbon?

D

Deleted member 15344

What a day.. got a lot of DIY done .. anything in a 10 yard around the TV is nailed or glued to something ..

BTW.. why was everyone wearing a yellow ribbon?
In memory of the young lady amateur champion that was stabbed a few weeks back

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Re the discussion about sky’s lack of footage.

I think it’s harder to fit more in than some would imagine. Let’s say it’s 6 hours from first tee off of the four balls, to completion of the last. That’s 360 minutes. Now let’s say each group go rounds in 70. That’s 1120 shots.

To show all of them would mean that every shot would get a whopping 20 seconds air time. Add into that that we want it live, so shots hit at same time would either have to be shown split screen, or shown in sequence. Meaning that the shots that were hit after those then get delayed. I’d imagine that within 30 mins of play, if we showed every shot we’d already be 5 minutes behind “live”.

Logistically it just isn’t as easy at it seems.

I agree they seemed to stick to marquee players and maybe that should change. But seeing more shots isn’t gonna happen anytime soon imo.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Fantastic captaincy by Bjorn and I think it's time to let him enjoy it all (and recover) before even beginning to decide the next RC captain. Not sure it'll be Padraig, although I hope he gets a chance at some point. Whoever it is has another top class act to follow and a lot of different challenges to overcome over in the US on a course that's going to be so different to Paris. I thought the Europe pairings really showed they were a united outfit, AGAIN, while the US look so disengaged and cold towards each other and proved they are again a team of individuals

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
All in all an excellent performance from Europe and, much like Gleneagles, everything went as well as it could have.

The course set up totally neutralised the Americans and they couldn't handle playing such a tough course and keeping their concentration for 4 or 5 rounds in 3 days.

The European picks worked unbelievably well all playing well and getting at least 2 points.

The Americans did get some things wrong. I don't think this affected the result, but it did affect the scale of the result.

Not playing Webb Simpson more was a mistake. He was more suited to the course than any other American. Playing Phil and Bryson only in foursomes was a mistake. But ultimately some of their big players didn't show up. DJ, Koepka and Fowler didn't play well enough and you can mix and match the pairings as much as you want, but you won't ever cope with some of your top guys not showing up.

The American picks. I don't think you can blame Furyk for picking the guys he did. These guys were all next in line in the rankings anyway, so it's not like Tiger and Phil got picked from way back. If he had of stated that due to the course set up he was picking Kisner, Schauffle, Zach Johnson and Kuchar these guys would have so much pressure on them playing instead of Phil and Tiger that it would have been very difficult for them to perform.

Molinari and Fleetwood - absolutely outstanding and the 2018 Ryder Cup, when it is replayed on Sky in the years to come, should rightly be sub titled 'Moliwood'.

Personally absolutely loved Poulter's match today. Absolutely outstanding to see him take out the No. 1 with such a great performance. Especially his 2 shots down 18. Possible that it will be his last display in a Ryder Cup and so fitting that it was in such style for a guy I have absolutely loved to watch over the past decade.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Fantastic captaincy by Bjorn and I think it's time to let him enjoy it all (and recover) before even beginning to decide the next RC captain. Not sure it'll be Padraig, although I hope he gets a chance at some point. Whoever it is has another top class act to follow and a lot of different challenges to overcome over in the US on a course that's going to be so different to Paris. I thought the Europe pairings really showed they were a united outfit, AGAIN, while the US look so disengaged and cold towards each other and proved they are again a team of individuals

My feeling is that Padraig has a few too many guys that he doesn't get on with to be a really good captain. Albeit I think the way he approaches the game is well suited, but not certain about his personality.

If not him, then Westwood surely will get the nod.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
My feeling is that Padraig has a few too many guys that he doesn't get on with to be a really good captain. Albeit I think the way he approaches the game is well suited, but not certain about his personality.

If not him, then Westwood surely will get the nod.
I think your point re Padraig is why he may get the nod for the away match.

Think Westwood will get the easier nod and have a home Ryder Cup.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Westwood, Harrington, Jimenez, Luke Donald, would Paul Lawrie fancy it?

Given the old boys network I'm going for Westwood.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Well that was a great watch, plenty heroes (on both sides) not too many villains and lots of good golf

The Fri PM/Sat AM results changed things so much, I think the US started to chase shots (as you might expect) and inevitably more errors can creep in instead of sticking to the plan which might well continue to not pay off

Fantastic last putt from Noren and well deserved to give him a 'glory' moment after having to play on while everyone else celebrated

Shame we have to wait two years for it to come round again

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Roe was on the highlights show

What was awful for me was missing so many shots , when Hatton and Casey were out yesterday they hardly showed any of their shots , Sky seemed to do what the US coverage does and focus on the “marquee” groups and players.
At one point on Saturday with only 2 groups on the course they still missed lots of shots :rolleyes:.

Big + from me for N.D
Would like to see Di back too
Big + too for more Dame Laura
Lose Roe
Butch was great as ever