Ryder Cup 2018 - Paris

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Can't believe the compliments for 5Live.

Had to resort to radio coverage for a while and they succeeded in making a thrilling encounter sound as exciting as a Church Bazaar.

Not helped by the most annoying know it all in broadcasting, Mark Chapman!
Never a big 5Live fan. Even when you listen to their football commentary it always sound full of near misses and action but go home and watch it back on TV and it often bears no resemblance to the pictures. Golf is even harder to convey to the listening public and while I respect what they do, it's not really works without the pictures. That and Mark Chapman really is annoying

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never a big 5Live fan. Even when you listen to their football commentary it always sound full of near misses and action but go home and watch it back on TV and it often bears no resemblance to the pictures. Golf is even harder to convey to the listening public and while I respect what they do, it's not really works without the pictures. That and Mark Chapman really is annoying
Always the same people slagging off the BBC;););):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
At least Sky are committed to golf and show most ET, PGA and LPGA events (plus a lot of the seniors) where BBC don't even really pay lip service to the sport and their coverage is frankly awful in my opinion. I get the situation we're in as viewers and the BBC don't really see live sport (bar the tennis, olympics etc) as important in their scheme of things. In a perfect world both would offer coverage and give viewers the choice but sadly it's the Open or bust for that and again, I'd prefer to listen to the sky commentators rather than an over the hill Alliss. A shame as in their heyday I can remember when BBC would cover ET events fully and well

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So it appears I may have won some goodies from the Teeuplo YouTube channel...
Comp was to guess who would sink the winning putt.
I said there's be no winning putt and Mickelson would miss and hand it to Europe...:eek:
This week's lottery numbers available on receipt of bribes..:LOL:
He tweeted your winning entry - had a double take when I saw the name on it. Good shout.

D

Deleted member 16999

Fantastic event and, in the main, well done Sky for great production. Let’s not forget, it’s an unscripted event with action happening at different parts of the course simultaneously. Picking up the action and giving intelligent commentary isn’t easy almost instantly takes some doing.

As for the usual moaners, get a life. Do you ever say anything good about anything...?
Absolutely spot on Bri, BBC don’t show or commentate on every shot, it’s impossible just like it is for Sky.
Even you attended these events live you wouldn’t see every shot, so why expect it on the tv, as for the adverts, without companies paying for advertising we’d be paying a lot more to watch.
Quite simple really, if people are so anti-sky, they could always choose to not subscribe.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
At least Sky are committed to golf and show most ET, PGA and LPGA events (plus a lot of the seniors) where BBC don't even really pay lip service to the sport and their coverage is frankly awful in my opinion. I get the situation we're in as viewers and the BBC don't really see live sport (bar the tennis, olympics etc) as important in their scheme of things. In a perfect world both would offer coverage and give viewers the choice but sadly it's the Open or bust for that and again, I'd prefer to listen to the sky commentators rather than an over the hill Alliss. A shame as in their heyday I can remember when BBC would cover ET events fully and well
Don’t disagree with most of that apart from making a distinction between the TV & the radio, which is done well IMO.
Sky have a great opportunity, they have a monopoly, which they have paid for. I only watch the majors & Ryder cup, I just reckon with their resources & production quality they should be doing it better

D

Deleted member 18588

Obviously I can't speak for others but personally I am generally a BBC fan.

However, I stand by my comment regarding the dullness of 5Live's coverage this afternoon.

To me it was just another example of the low opinion of golf held by the bosses at the Beeb.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
With the Sky coverage I do get a little frustrated that all the focus is on the first few matches, when they do have time to feature more on the later ones or at least let us know what is going on.

D

Deleted member 16999

Don’t disagree with most of that apart from making a distinction between the TV & the radio, which is done well IMO.
Sky have a great opportunity, they have a monopoly, which they have paid for. I only watch the majors & Ryder cup, I just reckon with their resources & production quality they should be doing it better
You do know Sky Production team won a BAFTA for their coverage of the Open last year, they probably believe they get most of it correct.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
My opinion is that the captain's influence on the result is often overstated, did like Bjorn's comments.
Sounds like Furyk is already being questioned.

Maybe the questions should be more about who from US played in French open this year, and who was their top points scorer....

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
You do know Sky Production team won a BAFTA for their coverage of the Open last year, they probably believe they get most of it correct.
You see the bit above where I praise their production quality 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
My issue is; camera work this weekend (open was good) was poor, ask Amanda?? And their studio stuff is really dated, & that stuff with Mark roe is painful. My point is they don’t make the best of what they have, but don’t let the detail get in the way of the anti phil agenda

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't think any TV organisation, be it BBC, Sky or anyone else that takes over coverage in the future, will be able to get it right all of the time given the sheer expanse of ground to be covered, and the fact that as the Ryder Cup shows, pivotal moments can be happening simultaneously on three or four holes. Of course we can debate the merits of the presenters and the commentators across all platforms, but like football (BT sports co-commentry team as an example) it comes down to individual preferences

D

Deleted member 16999

My issue is; camera work this weekend (open was good) was poor, ask Amanda?? And their studio stuff is really dated, & that stuff with Mark roe is painful. My point is they don’t make the best of what they have, but don’t let the detail get in the way of the anti phil agenda
Do one you k..b, I answered you directly, what’s this got to do with anyone else!

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Best £18 I’ve spent for a long time in getting sky golf reinstated for the month.

Watched every shot Saturday and Sunday albeit a couple of hours behind, weird spending a whole day with your phone on airplane mode and not going online at all.

Incredible grit and tenacity by both teams today meant some uncomfortable viewing this afternoon.

Great not to have to listen to the dullard Mark Roe.

Sad DL leaving, think he is a class act.

D

Deleted member 18588

Agree that some of Sky's coverage this weekend was poor with interviews being shown at the expense of live action.

BTW I thought Mark Roe (terrible commentator) was not involved in the broadcasts.

D

Deleted member 16999

What??? Stay classy:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Insightful post as always, do you work for sky??
I made a genuine reply to you, if you want to turn it in to something else, count me out, sometimes you should read the post and not the poster.