Ryder Cup 2021 Teams

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

sunshine

Visit site
I must admit, I've thought that for the last few Ryder Cups but it rarely goes like it should on paper.

This.

Also, for the last few Cups the US have had new talent coming through who I thought wouldn't carry the scar tissue of past defeats. I've been wrong on that too :)

sunshine

Visit site
This is how I see the American list shaping up...

Top 4: big guns who you expect to bring in the points.
5-8 (Next 4): top pros who on paper are as good / better than any Europeans. Sometimes they do well, sometimes they deliver nothing.
Next 2: wildcards who will be picked late based on form coming into the tournament. Usually do really poorly.
Last 2: Tiger & Phil, say no more.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is how I see the American list shaping up...

Top 4: big guns who you expect to bring in the points.
5-8 (Next 4): top pros who on paper are as good / better than any Europeans. Sometimes they do well, sometimes they deliver nothing.
Next 2: wildcards who will be picked late based on form coming into the tournament. Usually do really poorly.
Last 2: Tiger & Phil, say no more.

Tend to agree that they are all just close at this level. Top 4 Americans don't have amazing RC records except JT. Morikawa and Schauffele are rookies although very good, and Reed will cause disruption without recent RC or PC success. Simpson decent but I wouldn't fear him (if I was a good Euro player, he could obviously beat me). Wildcards I expect they will be stronger with maybe Speith and Finau, and I think we'd be delighted if we see Tiger and Phil line up given ageing of time.

sunshine

Visit site
Very true and appreciate that's why they've gone to 6 but it feels a big move if you don't select 7 and 8 in the standings at least. Just seems to invite pressure on to whether those picks are correct.

Yes, I can't see 7 and 8 being left out. It would be a massive call.