Ryder Cup 2018 - Paris

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
From what I saw personally crowds were loud but fair, wasn't near the 1st tee so couldn't comment on there, it did look a bit manic

Did have a moment on 16th tee when DJ's caddy lost it with a spectator, ...

Would agree entirely with this. Noisy, raucous. But fair. First was definitely manic! But again, silent when players were teeing off. DJs caddy had a pop at people on at least 3 holes then. I saw him do it at 8 and 11. Maybe he just liked moaning at par 3s?! That said, man DJ can putt! Was on 11 for his monster birdie. Incredible putt.

D

Deleted Member 1156

It's easy to Tiger bash after the event but his RC record is shocking considering how good his individual career has been. 13 wins from 37 matches is poor, I wonder if that entered Furyk's mind when selecting his wildcards.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Would agree entirely with this. Noisy, raucous. But fair. First was definitely manic! But again, silent when players were teeing off. DJs caddy had a pop at people on at least 3 holes then. I saw him do it at 8 and 11. Maybe he just liked moaning at par 3s?! That said, man DJ can putt! Was on 11 for his monster birdie. Incredible putt.

Couldn't believe the putt he sank on 16, typical matchplay, one minute we're looking at Poults going dormy 3up, next the lead is down to 1

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We had a great time on Saturday, had 1st tee grandstand tickets which was good but only used them for the morning session, much preferred wandering about. Did set up camp on 9 and watched the morning groups come through, did the same at 16 both morning and afternoon.

Thought the set up with the shuttle buses running from the station to the course was good, had the potential to be waiting ages but this wasn't the case. Did anyone get caught up at the station where the police were holding people back and everyone else just walked around them? That bit was a shambles.

Also, 9Euros a pint and 15.50 for Fish and Chips after spending 400 euros on two tickets was a bit hard to stomach.

Still enjoyed it immensely, and the wife said her birthday wasn't as bad she thought it would be ;)

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's easy to Tiger bash after the event but his RC record is shocking considering how good his individual career has been. 13 wins from 37 matches is poor, I wonder if that entered Furyk's mind when selecting his wildcards.

It's poor but Mickelson has lost more matches overall and Woods' record is better than Jim Furyk's in the Ryder Cup.

But haters gonna hate.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think a player as good as he is/was would always be hard to leave out, irrespective of record.

I think for some players its the career highlight and probably means more to them. That being said, in the pairings, its not all about one player. I can't recall who he's been with in the past, but this weekend he seemed to do ok to the turn and then just collapse. Saturday i thought he did well to take it as far as he did been as his partner was insignificant.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Interesting take on this RC from the other side of the pond -
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ryder-cup-2018-anatomy-of-a-beatdown

Lack of effort to actually play and know the course seems critical.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one to mention a while back about the lack of US RC players at the French open. It was a gilt edged opportunity to come over a suss the place out under comp conditions (although didn't Molinari pass on the French open this year too and won on the PGA tour that weekend)

I did read that USA were supposed to visit in Aug but I don't know if that was the players playing the course or just a scouting party

D

Deleted Member 1156

It's poor but Mickelson has lost more matches overall and Woods' record is better than Jim Furyk's in the Ryder Cup.

But haters gonna hate.
It's not a question of hating, just posing the question that's all. As Papas said in the post after yours, it would be difficult to leave him out but I'm just wondering if he was nailed on in Furyk's mind or if he had doubts about picking him.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm sure I wasn't the only one to mention a while back about the lack of US RC players at the French open. It was a gilt edged opportunity to come over a suss the place out under comp conditions (although didn't Molinari pass on the French open this year too and won on the PGA tour that weekend)

I did read that USA were supposed to visit in Aug but I don't know if that was the players playing the course or just a scouting party

I don't necessarily buy this. A lot of them will have played a practice round around the time of the Open. You can do scouting reports and work out in advance how to play and if the players cared enough, they could have done this research and started practising the shots required... the fairway finders off the tee rather than the 330 yard bombs.

I think ultimately they just didn't adapt their game or their practice as they were focussed on the Fed Ex Cup.

Thomas was the best player for the USA because he is the best player for the USA. DJ may be number one, but tends to do well at certain events that suit his game.

D

Deleted member 18588

But haters gonna hate.

Why is anyone slight criticism of Tiger always regarded as hating?

Compared with his phenomenal individual record his Ryder Cup record is poor.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting take on this RC from the other side of the pond -
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ryder-cup-2018-anatomy-of-a-beatdown

Lack of effort to actually play and know the course seems critical.
I am in the US at the moment playing golf and in most of the clubs you wouldn’t know the RC was being played.
Football and most other sports dominate the screens.
I actually asked one guy how the score was and he said “ what’s the Ryder Cup “ he was a golfer!
Maybe this is the norm in the US .

Only seen highlights but it looked to me that the us team are no good on a proper golf course that dosnt have 80yrd wide fairways. ( Rory to ? What’s happening with his game?)
But it looks like they just didn’t prepare well enough.
At the end we just played better golf and TB got almost everything right well done to him and the team.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Rory is in a funny position, he’s clearly talented and loves this competition but he got the wrong partner on Friday morning and he took Thomas – a fierce competitor - to the 18th . However, I think he sees himself in a different position to what perhaps he ought to be. He is hugely popular within the players group (although he polarises the fans) but he streakiness extends from just being from week to week to literally between holes. We seem to say it every year, but this upcoming season is huge.

Molinari – much more about this man than the love in with Fleetwood. Player of the tournament, and having won a Major (only European to do so) he was arguably always going to be the main man.

Tiger is back, but he is tired and he’s not a team player. Earned his spot on the team, his record historically is poor and that continues. Tiger is Golf, but he’s no Mr. Ryder Cup.

Jim Furyk – what a gentleman, and extremely gracious.

Thomas Bjorn – well done sir. I had my doubts, not necessarily about his captaincy, but more about the team on paper vs the USA. Before the tournament, and especially after the opening session and a single point, it looked like a poisoned chalice. But 16.5 points later, with the wildcards having delivered and the fact every player contributed, there’s no questioning your credentials. The USA team still is stronger individually, but collectively and in spirit for this event, TB worked wonders.

Wildcards – Poulter. Sergio. Henrik. Casey. The realties of this competition is perhaps you have to separate this weekend to general tour events. Yes, you may be out of form, but what motivates you and those who will surround you? The captain got these perfectly correct and they all delivered.

Patrick Reed & USA chemistry – the USA have phenomenal players, but they don’t gel. The taskforce failed to recognise there’s a natural togetherness of the European team that counts for a lot; Spieth, Thomas, Fowler, Xander, Kauffman, maybe Kisner (the spring break crew and perhaps the Open house mates of Zach J, Jimmy Walker) are probably better suited to form a ‘team’. The USA presser at the end was noteworthy, not necessarily because of the exchange between Spieth & Reed, but because there was evidence that Spieth, as a peer, seemed to have more of a say over team selection that Reed. The omission of Phil, Bubba and Tiger will undoubtedly see an improvement in this area in the future, but is there a negativity or a clic now formed that will see the likes of Reed and even DJ on the outside?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I fear Rory is turning into another Garcia, he'll always kick around at the top of the game but his streaky putting means he'll narrowly miss out on wins. He's done amazingly well to win what he has already and I really hope he goes on to complete the Grand Slam of majors but I don't think he will.

Great result over the whole weekend, I had a fear of a pumping after Friday morning but still hoped we could do it. The Europeans are a team that plays like brothers whereas the Americans are just a team of individuals.

Harrington being touted for next European Captain, I could maybe see Phil for the USA?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's not a question of hating, just posing the question that's all. As Papas said in the post after yours, it would be difficult to leave him out but I'm just wondering if he was nailed on in Furyk's mind or if he had doubts about picking him.

Yep, it's a fair question but I found it more interesting that Mickleson is statistically bad too. My haters comment wasn't directed at you, more reflecting on an attitude in general that people are very quick to criticise Woods but not others in the team. Mickelson didn't earn his place, not only just for his performance this year but also his (IMO) disgraceful slaughtering of Tom Watson following Gleneages, which he's followed up by failing to deliver again! It proves to me that Mickelson is part of the problem not part of the solution. Mickelson is a pretty good example of why people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

What I'm getting at in a roudabout way is that I think Woods earned his place in the team this year whereas Mickelson didn't. :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If Woods and Mickleson were on the edge of selection next time around, big if i know, would the next captain have the bottle to point at their records and say thanks but no thanks? The answer seems obvious to most of us but they seem to have quite a grip on the pshyce of US golf.

U

User62651

Think it's a bit unfair to question the Yanks motivation, I'm sure they're all desperate to win over here. In individual matches they were all trying as hard as they could. They represent one country, whereas we are represented by up to 55 countries technically, though perhaps 9 actually contribute - UK/Ireland/Spain/Italy/France/Germany/Sweden/Denmark/Belguim. So US should be more united by nature really. Every other house flies the stars and stripes over there, no lack of patriotism.

We grow up playing a lot of doubles golf, perhaps the Yanks don't? Is that a factor?

Furyk missd the fact that most of his lot are too wayward off the tee, if he'd studied that stat wrt the course chosen he could have perhaps taken a better suited team over.

Agree Furyk could've left Phil and Bubba out, Tiger earned his spot but seemed a bit off the pace.

Hindsight's a great thing though.

D

Deleted member 18588

Yep, it's a fair question but I found it more interesting that Mickleson is statistically bad too. My haters comment wasn't directed at you, more reflecting on an attitude in general that people are very quick to criticise Woods but not others in the team. Mickelson didn't earn his place, not only just for his performance this year but also his (IMO) disgraceful slaughtering of Tom Watson following Gleneages, which he's followed up by failing to deliver again! It proves to me that Mickelson is part of the problem not part of the solution. Mickelson is a pretty good example of why people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

What I'm getting at in a roudabout way is that I think Woods earned his place in the team this year whereas Mickelson didn't. :)

Neither of them had their finest hour but Woods loss ratio (21 from 37) is significantly worse than Mickelson (22 from 47) and more might be expected of Tiger as he is clearly the greater individual player.