Ryder Cup 2018 - Paris

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That was the first Ryder Cup I've really watched from start to finish, and thoroughly enjoyed it obvious. Right from the Friday afternoon whitewash it looked like we were handling the course much better than they were. Agree with all the comments about the US bombers not being able to hit a fairway. The course was fantastic. There were some real shocks in the singles, such as Fleetwood getting done over by Finau, and Olesen wiping Spieth aside in particular. Garcia more than justified his selection - the contrast between him and Mickelson was interesting. Both were out of form and chosen on past performance, Garcia stepped up and Mickelson didn't at all, so one gamble paid off and one didn't.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
. There were some real shocks in the singles, such as Fleetwood getting done over by Finau, and Olesen wiping Spieth aside in particular.

It happens in every RC, someone always turns over a big favourite in the singles, Fleetwood getting beat didn't surprise me, Oleson pumping Spieth on the other hand was a surprise.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is a lot of talk about why the Yanks failed (All hail Europe!!). But for the perspective, all these 12 are the top 30 or so golfers. They do this for a living.. SURELY they know better. I can swing a club once in a while, but if I were to play a new course back to back, I will adjust my game second time round and I know what mistakes i made first time around. I am not consistent or long, but I will play the course to my ability. The yank were missing pars.. My society sometimes plays better than that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is a lot of talk about why the Yanks failed (All hail Europe!!). But for the perspective, all these 12 are the top 30 or so golfers. They do this for a living.. SURELY they know better. I can swing a club once in a while, but if I were to play a new course back to back, I will adjust my game second time round and I know what mistakes i made first time around. I am not consistent or long, but I will play the course to my ability. The yank were missing pars.. My society sometimes plays better than that.
Guys like DJ confuse me though. He's been world number 1 for quite a lot of time, but the only time I ever see him win it's driver, wedge, putt, driver, wedge, putt. That's why Butch Harmon's comments made a lot of sense to me, that the US courses are set up for you to do that, whereas Le Golf National was a course where you have to hit tight fairways with irons and they just weren't able to do it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
That was the first Ryder Cup I've really watched from start to finish, and thoroughly enjoyed it obvious. Right from the Friday afternoon whitewash it looked like we were handling the course much better than they were. Agree with all the comments about the US bombers not being able to hit a fairway. The course was fantastic. There were some real shocks in the singles, such as Fleetwood getting done over by Finau, and Olesen wiping Spieth aside in particular. Garcia more than justified his selection - the contrast between him and Mickelson was interesting. Both were out of form and chosen on past performance, Garcia stepped up and Mickelson didn't at all, so one gamble paid off and one didn't.

That is not a shock at all in my opinion. Finau is a tremendous player and one to keep an eye on, I personally think he's worth a few pennies e/w for every major over the next couple of years.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Guys like DJ confuse me though. He's been world number 1 for quite a lot of time, but the only time I ever see him win it's driver, wedge, putt, driver, wedge, putt. That's why Butch Harmon's comments made a lot of sense to me, that the US courses are set up for you to do that, whereas Le Golf National was a course where you have to hit tight fairways with irons and they just weren't able to do it.

Also inportant to remember that world rankings are heavily skewed by US events. So what they are really is 'bomb/gouge/putt' rankings, not so much 'golf' rankings. So having a high ranking is not necessarily a mark of an all round great golfer - they all choose schedules which suit their game as well.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Its also why Tiger and Phil have won as much as they have done. Missing fairways by 40/50 yards is rewarded by a shot off of another fairway with a wedge back over some trees. Hardly a challenging shot for them.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site

As some have said mental fatigue of 5 matches is huge which why Molinari is a standout winning 5 out of 5. Doesn't happen very often for a reason.

I found Spieth's loss less surprising, he's now lost all 6 singles matches he's been a part of in Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is not a shock at all in my opinion. Finau is a tremendous player and one to keep an eye on, I personally think he's worth a few pennies e/w for every major over the next couple of years.
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm also a big fan of Finau, I just meant based on the Friday and Saturday, where Finau had been slapping it all over the place and Fleetwood had been playing brilliantly.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As some have said mental fatigue of 5 matches is huge which why Molinari is a standout winning 5 out of 5. Doesn't happen very often for a reason.

I found Spieth's loss less surprising, he's now lost all 6 singles matches he's been a part of in Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup.

Be careful now, that sounds as if you are highlighting Speiths lack of bottle.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm also a big fan of Finau, I just meant based on the Friday and Saturday, where Finau had been slapping it all over the place and Fleetwood had been playing brilliantly.

https://www.rydercup.com/scoring

Thats the only list i can find, so it makes it a little tough to guestimate the scores for them during the foursomes.

But in their respective fourballs. Tommy only contributed one more birdie than finau.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This. Whistling Straights will be 7000 yards, rough cut back and thinned, flags in the geometric centre of fast greens. Can see the Ryder Cup flip-flopping between Europe and the US for the next few years as conditions become more extreme between the two hosts.

7000 yds? be close to 8000 than 7000 lol

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
A footnote from the weekend merchandise, apparently it sold out on Saturday to the tune of around 6 million Euros :eek:
A mate of mine went Sat/Sun, he said there wasn’t much left Saturday, he thought they’d re-stock but they didn’t.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Harrington has just given a fairways hit stat from the weekend of 65% hit by Europe 60% by the US, also more or less confirmed he's up for skipper in 2020.