USA automatic Ryder Cup qualifiers

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The list is out: Koepka (Previous Ryder Cups - 1), Johnson (3), Thomas (Rookie), Reed (2), Watson (3), Spieth (2), Fowler (3), Simpson (2).

Any you'd like not to have in the USA team?

Who would be your captain's picks?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The list is out: Koepka (Previous Ryder Cups - 1), Johnson (3), Thomas (Rookie), Reed (2), Watson (3), Spieth (2), Fowler (3), Simpson (2).

Any you'd like not to have in the USA team?

Who would be your captain's picks?

Reed because he’s a dick

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think Simpson is the weak link. But then, we will have some too. Looks a strong team. A lot of major winners in that lot.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Simpson has done well to stay in there. I thought BDC might have nicked that spot, but hasn't done quite well enough in the last couple of tournaments.

My 4 picks would be Tiger, Mickelson, Finau and Kuch or BDC I reckon.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
The American's have given themselves some problems with their selection process.

1st up, there's no need to select the top 8 so early. I guess they feel that anyone in contention shouldn't be forced to play Wydnum before the Fed Ex cup starts, given the amount of golf they will have played in the previous 5 weeks, and will have to play in the following 5. Guys could be playing 8 weeks out of 10.

But they will also pick 3 of their picks on Sept 4th and then the final one after the Fed Ex Cup finishes.

2 of these picks are going to be Tiger and Phil. So potentially leaving another 2 from Kuch, Bryson, Schauffle, Finau, Kisner. The perceived wisdom seems to be Kuch and Bryson - but with their system it is inevitable that recency bias will massively favour the final pick.

If someone comes from nowhere and win the tour championship by 4 shots, Furyk pretty much has to pick him. Similarly, if no one does anything particularity noteable in the Fed Ex cup and the final events are dominated by players already qualified or by non Americans, Furyk has to pick someone who's isn't exactly dialed in.

This kinda happened last time when Ryan Moore was in line for the pick, but then got beaten by Rory in the Tour Championship. Moore still deserved the pick, but didn't exactly set the American's up well to see their pick get beaten by a European 4 days before the Ryder Cup.

I reckon he will pick Tiger, Phil and Bryson on 4th September, which kinda leaves Kuch under pressure to do at least as well as Finau, Schauffle, Kisner in the final few events.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think they'd be daft not to pick Finau. The only case for Kuchar's inclusion is that, if I remember correctly, he's partnered with Mickelson quite well in the past?

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I see where you're coming from with their selection process but I think it's not a bad idea; remember in 2014 the US team had picked their wildcards and Billy Horschel went on to win but couldn't get on the team. So Furyk gets 3 picks and leaves the last one in case someone makes a move and is the inform player.

I'm not sure Phil Mick will get picked, he's just way too inconsistent at the moment and they can afford to pick a couple of rookies as wildcards as they've only got 1 in the team at the moment. Amazing that Justin Thomas is a rookie, shows how far he's come in the last 2 years.

For me I think he'll go with Bryson, Tiger and Kuch then 1 from Schauffle, Finau, Kisner or maybe someone further down the list who has a good Fed Ex.

I like Reed and Bubba, great to see some real passion on the course.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I see where you're coming from with their selection process but I think it's not a bad idea; remember in 2014 the US team had picked their wildcards and Billy Horschel went on to win but couldn't get on the team. So Furyk gets 3 picks and leaves the last one in case someone makes a move and is the inform player.

I'm not sure Phil Mick will get picked, he's just way too inconsistent at the moment and they can afford to pick a couple of rookies as wildcards as they've only got 1 in the team at the moment. Amazing that Justin Thomas is a rookie, shows how far he's come in the last 2 years.

For me I think he'll go with Bryson, Tiger and Kuch then 1 from Schauffle, Finau, Kisner or maybe someone further down the list who has a good Fed Ex.

I like Reed and Bubba, great to see some real passion on the course.

Obviously the Billy Horschel case is why they changed the process. But for the most part, there will not be a Billy Horschel making a run like that. In most cases it will already be an established player already in or around the team.

Looking at 2014... Billy wasn't even in the top 15 at the cut off, so his form was very much a purple patch. And this remains the best month of his career.

Also - I would be amazed if Phil isn't picked. Although I agree on his form, there are better players. But America will go for the big names.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think you could be right about Phil and as long as you keep him away from Tiger it could work.

I suppose with the prize money on offer it does allow someone on form to make a run at it, someone like Patrick Cantlay springs to mind. Think he's way down the list but could force himself into contention.