Ryder Cup 2023 - Italy

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m not sure I buy into the team thing. It didn’t do us much good at the previous RC! They are still individuals hitting shots.
I think it goes some way to explaining why we do better on foursomes, which requires a little bit of teamwork. When it comes to singles on Sunday though I'd say it's mostly irrelevant. Every man just wants to beat the man he's up against, I don't think the team dynamic is a factor at all there.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Bit late to the party with listening to this, but Homa gives these guys a lot of his time and is nearly always quite insightful. Interestingly, he doesn't believe the USA team is fractured and, whilst I can't speak to his actual experience, I think he's probably right this time round - but he hasn't experienced the Europe side of things which is probably a bit stronger and more of a 'team' rather than individuals; the USA team consists entirely of multi-millionaires, all of which have 'made it' and in some cases even making their way back, and their worst world ranking is 26 - there is nobody, even rookies, that needs to be taken under anybody's wing.
Team Europe on the other hand is diverse with a much larger gap (success, ranking, stature, career stage etc.) and allows for guys to take on leadership roles and ensure integration of all the players - this level of bonding creates a much better chemistry.... but it's sort of a moot point as things go, as it's not necessarily transportable - a team beats a more talented set of individuals in Europe but the individuals win in the USA, because the course plays to the individuals strengths (driver, wedge, putt, repeat).

The other take is the calling out of Skys Jamie Liar Weir. I find his twitter feed to be divisive and nonsensical at the best of times, but an unnamed source* close to Weir has said a documentary produced, directed and narrated by Jamie Weir, titled "How Jamie Weir won the 2023 Ryder Cup" ais bout to drop on repeat Sky very soon.

*another unnamed source said this unnamed source wasn't reliable.

Jamie Weir is a bit of a narcissist.

Amazed he’s employed to report on a game that has strong ethical foundations, when he appears to be lacking in that area. He’s not the only one of course.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think it goes some way to explaining why we do better on foursomes, which requires a little bit of teamwork. When it comes to singles on Sunday though I'd say it's mostly irrelevant. Every man just wants to beat the man he's up against, I don't think the team dynamic is a factor at all there.
We dont do (much) better at foursomes, and think that is a bit of a myth. More accurately, I think it is the home team does better in foursomes. And my personal view based on nothing, is that too much is read into even that. It could be just statistical noise.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's a massive advantage to the home team now.

Ultimately i think it comes down to the fact that we set up the course so the usa had 170/190 into greens, or it was a short par 4 /par5 which statistically shows plays to Euro strengths, the usa set up the courses over there so it's a wedge and putting contest.

What do people think? Should the home team be allowed to set up the course?

Swango1980

Visit site

Ultimately i think it comes down to the fact that we set up the course so the usa had 170/190 into greens, or it was a short par 4 /par5 which statistically shows plays to Euro strengths, the usa set up the courses over there so it's a wedge and putting contest.

Yes

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I don't see why not. Thinking it through - the course has to be set up by someone. If it wasn't the home team, it would be the people who run the course but you'd expect them to favour their home team anyway - and no doubt would be receiving pointers from the home captain on the sly to set it up a certain way anyway. Only way to avoid it would be holding the Ryder Cup on a neutral continent!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I dont think its necessary, and yet further grasping at straws to find a systemic cause for what is just random variation.

Whats the difference these days between USA and Euro players? It isnt the 1970s. McIlroy is a poor wedge player because he is a poor wedge player. Lowry is an excellent wedge player because he is an excellent wedge player.

It isnt like a stateside RC is a rare excursion across the Atlantic for Euro players, struggling to play dartboard greens and Bermuda grass.

D

Deleted member 1147

I dont think its necessary, and yet further grasping at straws to find a systemic cause for what is just random variation.

Whats the difference these days between USA and Euro players? It isnt the 1970s. McIlroy is a poor wedge player because he is a poor wedge player. Lowry is an excellent wedge player because he is an excellent wedge player.

It isnt like a stateside RC is a rare excursion across the Atlantic for Euro players, struggling to play dartboard greens and Bermuda grass.
Ask Edoardo Molinari, he is the statistician who calculated this.
Unlike you, an expert!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ask Edoardo Molinari, he is the statistician who calculated this.
Unlike you, an expert!

I recall a radio interview last year with someone from the Europe Ryder Cup set up, he mentioned they had statisticians pouring over piles of data to try and find a formula that would give Europe the edge. Love that kind of deep preparation, it obviously paid dividends as well.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I recall a radio interview last year with someone from the Europe Ryder Cup set up, he mentioned they had statisticians pouring over piles of data to try and find a formula that would give Europe the edge. Love that kind of deep preparation, it obviously paid dividends as well.
What surprises me with this now is that any half decent young golfer is off to America on a golfing scholarship at 18 (we had one in the year below my son go with a HI of 3, not plus 3, 3. Loads go over, comparatively). They also tend to be taught at a very young age in the US style, swing fast, swing hard, refine later. The next generation of golfers are therefore not really brought up in the European style of golf so you would expect home advantage to reduce each year. As it is, it seems to be going the other way 🤷‍♀️ .

Faldo during commentary talked about some of the above, your comment, not mine. Really interesting stuff. Classic marginal gains stuff.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
What surprises me with this now is that any half decent young golfer is off to America on a golfing scholarship at 18 (we had one in the year below my son go with a HI of 3, not plus 3, 3. Loads go over, comparatively). They also tend to be taught at a very young age in the US style, swing fast, swing hard, refine later. The next generation of golfers are therefore not really brought up in the European style of golf so you would expect home advantage to reduce each year. As it is, it seems to be going the other way 🤷‍♀️ .

Faldo during commentary talked about some of the above, your comment, not mine. Really interesting stuff. Classic marginal gains stuff.

Hopefully Aberg Norman and The Belgian are as successful as Rahm and Hovland

could be a very exciting few Ryder cups coming up

D

Deleted member 25172

Poor doesn't cover it. Bloody awful.

Attachments

• 1697035484223.png
    1697035484223.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 20