Ryder Cup 2023 - Italy

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

E41A4B29-0D22-47EC-820E-F84846203C66.jpegSo it’s the year of another Ryder Cup

This is the current situation in regards of the European Team - the qualification of Otaegui will no doubt be cleared up in February

Three from each list automatically qualfiying with Donald having 6 picks

So who from outside the lists above could get a pick and also anyone to sneak into the qualifying points

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't know how it works this time, but Fitzpatrick is not automatic despite winning a major? If that's the case I imagine him, Hatton & Fleetwood get picked pretty easily. I like MacIntyre as he gives you something a bit different as a big-hitting leftie, so I'd have him in it. Beyond that you'd expect a couple of guys to make a run of form between now and then, could be anyone. R.Hojgaard has a good chance of course.

babylonsinger

Visit site
Sepp Straka has been steadily improving whilst playing in America - hopefully he can get in the team and do himself justice. To me the last few spots in the team are wide open with a number of similar level players likely vying for them

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
As above, its surely pretty wide open at this stage!

Have they said outright that LIV players cant be picked out of curiosity?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
...is this another event they opted out of, but want to change their minds again? ;)

Well a few of the players have played on DP World tour events since LIV... Only a few players totally left all tours for LIV.

D-S

Visit site
...is this another event they opted out of, but want to change their minds again? ;)
I was going to check if this was mentioned in the Liv Golf thread, but decided not to wade through over 9,000 posts to get the answer!

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Strakka, fleetwood, Hatton, fitz, power and f. molinari would be the next picks I reckon.

Molinari being a controversial heart over head pick.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Even if they can be picked, does anyone really think that any of the European LIV players would enhance the potential team over and above those shown in the OP?
Otaegui is in at the moment but you'd expect some of the bigger names to overtake him on the World points...
Westy, Poulter, Grace, Stenson...not exactly in their prime these days...Garcia has burnt any bridges with his withdrawal last year....
Rory, Rahm, Fitz, Tommy, Shane, Tyrell, Viktor and maybe Noren are either qualifiers or picks
Power, BobMac much the same....
That leaves 2 spots..and there's plenty of talent before needing the LIV boys..

D

Deleted member 15344

As above, its surely pretty wide open at this stage!

Have they said outright that LIV players cant be picked out of curiosity?

At the moment they are still members of the ET due to the court appeal that was upheld temporarily

Once the court case has been sorted that will give a clearer picture but I will be surprised if they are allowed to keep their ET membership whilst still being a member of LIV

So I don’t think any of the LIV players on both sides will be playing

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Even if they can be picked, does anyone really think that any of the European LIV players would enhance the potential team over and above those shown in the OP?
Otaegui is in at the moment but you'd expect some of the bigger names to overtake him on the World points...
Westy, Poulter, Grace, Stenson...not exactly in their prime these days...Garcia has burnt any bridges with his withdrawal last year....
Rory, Rahm, Fitz, Tommy, Shane, Tyrell, Viktor and maybe Noren are either qualifiers or picks
Power, BobMac much the same....
That leaves 2 spots..and there's plenty of talent before needing the LIV boys..
Agreed. I don't think there's anyone in LIV that we desperately miss. Casey at a push if his back hasn't given out that week. Garcia is past it now. Poults and Westy were already past it at the last RC.

Edit: Did you mean Casey when you said Grace? :LOL:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Agreed. I don't think there's anyone in LIV that we desperately miss. Casey at a push if his back hasn't given out that week. Garcia is past it now. Poults and Westy were already past it at the last RC.

Edit: Did you mean Casey when you said Grace? :LOL:
Ha...autocorrect thinks Gmac should be Grace....what the hell does it know......

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The Ryder Cup? Oh, you mean that money-making exercise for the two big tours.

I lost interest years ago, well, when it left terrestrial TV if I'm being honest.

D-S

Visit site
I lost interest years ago, well, when it left terrestrial TV if I'm being honest.
Isn’t that the case for all professional golf though? Come to think of it, it’s also the case for elite amateur and celebrity golf too.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

To be fair, only one tour - that's why the Presidents Cup was invented ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
There's a lot of golf to be played between now and September, it's a bit early to be deciding which players should or shouldn't be competing isn't it?

Certainly, the US team have players competing on LIV that I'd imagine a few people would like to see made available for selection, expect plenty of controversy over the whole tournament.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Football style chants at a golf tournament. Really is a pathetic spectacle now.

Regardless of who is picked or who qualifies this looks like it could be another absolute hammering for Europe.

D

Deleted member 15344

So as the season starts to get going each event will go towards Ryder Cup

There is prob 7 guaranteed players that will be going

Rory
Rahm
Fitzpatrick
Hovland
Lowry
Hatton
Fleetwood

That leaves 5 spots

Rose coming back into the winners circle boosts him

Noren is staying consistent

Perez is back winning again

Then it’s the Hojgaards and Bob Mac in the mix

And also Molinari finding a bit of form

Potentially looking like a strong European team

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
So as the season starts to get going each event will go towards Ryder Cup

There is prob 7 guaranteed players that will be going

Rory
Rahm
Fitzpatrick
Hovland
Lowry
Hatton
Fleetwood

That leaves 5 spots

Rose coming back into the winners circle boosts him

Noren is staying consistent

Perez is back winning again

Then it’s the Hojgaards and Bob Mac in the mix

And also Molinari finding a bit of form

Potentially looking like a strong European team

I wish I shared your optimism, unfortunately I see

2 on fire
3 hot 'n' cold
2 luke warm

and that's just the shoe-ins

I really hope a few of them have very good summers

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Regardless of who is picked or who qualifies this looks like it could be another absolute hammering for Europe.

I’d disagree to an extent, they’ve (hopefully) had statisticians all over this and do similar to what they did last time in Europe, take away the driving length of the US team and make it an accuracy test off the tee and a wedge into the greens competition. Evens the field a massive amount by stopping the Americans bombing the course with driver.