Ryder Cup 2023 - Italy

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

peld

Visit site
I'd have thought that, before or after the Ryder Cup, the official team shirts / jumpers the players wore could be bought online. That doesn't seem to be the case. There is a Ryder Cup store, but all the clothing is just generic Ryder Cup clothing, rather than replicas of what the players wore. Seems a missed opportunity to me.

they licence the Ryder Cup logo to loads of firms - e.g. i think Glenmuir and Peter Millar sell it and probably more.

The Loro Piana stuff is another world. I saw an article that said the European team kit for the weekend was the most expensive sports kit ever. £810 for a Polo. £2k for a quarter zip. You need to book an appointment to go and buy the stuff.

Swango1980

Visit site
If the Ryder Cup players submitted their scores (mainly singles as most have a score for each hole) for their first handicap, and assuming they had par for any unplayed holes once match ended, they would be off:

USA

Spieth (-11.8)
Thomas, Scheffler, Koepka, Homa, Burns, Cantlay (-10.2)
Schaffele, Harman (-8.6)
Fowler (-7.8)
Morikawa (-7.0)
Clark (-6.2)

Europe

McIlroy (-12.7)
Hovland, Hatton, Fleetwood, Lowry (-11.0)
Rahm, Fitzpatrick (-9.4)
Rose, Straka (-8.6)
McIntyre (-7.8)
Hojgaard, Aberg (-7.0)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you get the RC app you can drill down into the scoring in each match
I went through the Sunday scores only (it's easiest), and you guys weren't wrong. Fitzpatrick did get the worst score. I'll list them here in case anyone else cares but didn't want to do the leg-work.

Rory -8 (17) - W
Hovland -6 (15) - W
Hatton -6 (16) - W
Fleetwood -6 (17) - W
Lowry -6 - H
Rahm -4 - H
Rose -3 (17) - L
MacIntyre -3* (17) - W
Straka -3 - L
Aberg -1 (16) - L
Hojgaard -1 (16) - L
Fitzpatrick Ev - L

* - I gave MacIntyre a birdie on the conceded hole as the most likely result. Interestingly he's the only real anomaly in the list in terms of better score = better result, indicating that his opponent Clark had a particularly poor round perhaps.

I was also surprised that Lowry did as well as -6 - I don't feel his match with Spieth was televised very much, and I assumed it was because both of them had played pretty poorly. I know that Spieth had played crap on Sat/Sunday but he actually stepped it up on Sunday and was -7! Lowry did well to earn that half and in fact could have won it given that he was 1 up on the last. I didn't count the American scores yet but I don't think anyone matched Spieth's -7.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I'd have thought that, before or after the Ryder Cup, the official team shirts / jumpers the players wore could be bought online. That doesn't seem to be the case. There is a Ryder Cup store, but all the clothing is just generic Ryder Cup clothing, rather than replicas of what the players wore. Seems a missed opportunity to me.
Lo and behold, the socials respond again….. looks legit…. Nothing to worry about…..🤔🫣

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I believe it did, but was appealed, which might still be ongoing.

Lets face it, there's more chance of me playing in the 2031 Ryder Cup than there is of it being hosted in Bolton.... :ROFLMAO:
The food, the monuments, the weather, the history, the architecture, the style, the museums, the sweet life. Why not.

Edit : the high speed trains.

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The food, the monuments, the weather, the history, the architecture, the style, the museums, the sweet life. Why not.

Lets face it, there's knack all in Bolton worth visiting, hence the reason Hulton Park has been abandoned by visitors for 700 years (according to the blurb on the official website).

Having said that, if they market the top tier hospitality as "The Phoenix Club" you never know who might turn up...

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm not sure if other player content has emerged, but I just listened to the NLU interview with max homa.
It seems a very honest account of what it was like to play in the event. I think it's worth a listen.

Edit.
Haha kaz beat me by a second!!

Red devil

Visit site
This was the first Ryder Cup I've been to and I was peed off at the cost of the ticket, but once you are there you really appreciate the scale of the thing and how much it must have cost to organise. I've never been to a better run tournament, or any event as good as this, the transport was brilliant, food great, the number of viewing points with huge screens so you never missed the action was so good. The course offered wonderful vantage points to see a lot of golf, it would have been very hard to watch much golf on a flat course. The condition of the course was unlike any I've seen before, walking across the 15th, the fairway looked like AstroTurf and better than most of the greens I've played on this year. The quality of most of the golf was unbelievable, these guys are just so much better than us it amazing to watch up close. Would highly recommend any golf fan to try and get to at least one RC :)
I paid £850 each for 2 weekly tickets Tue-Sun which in comparison to some Premier league games for 90 mins is great value.
In total agreement with you regarding the tournament. As a frequent visitor to Italy I've seen Italian "organisation " first hand but I was very impressed. Until you've witnessed it close up the scale of the event is phenomenal. Makes the Open look like a monthly medal

Last edited:

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just saw the Max Homa interview. Very articulate and very insightful.

For those who thought the fans were out of order, interestingly Homa said they were amazing.
Yeh, it was a good listen, I’ve liked him for a while. The only thing I didn’t like was referring to Europe as ‘the euros’ 🤢!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went through the Sunday scores only (it's easiest), and you guys weren't wrong. Fitzpatrick did get the worst score. I'll list them here in case anyone else cares but didn't want to do the leg-work.

Rory -8 (17) - W
Hovland -6 (15) - W
Hatton -6 (16) - W
Fleetwood -6 (17) - W
Lowry -6 - H
Rahm -4 - H
Rose -3 (17) - L
MacIntyre -3* (17) - W
Straka -3 - L
Aberg -1 (16) - L
Hojgaard -1 (16) - L
Fitzpatrick Ev - L

* - I gave MacIntyre a birdie on the conceded hole as the most likely result. Interestingly he's the only real anomaly in the list in terms of better score = better result, indicating that his opponent Clark had a particularly poor round perhaps.

I was also surprised that Lowry did as well as -6 - I don't feel his match with Spieth was televised very much, and I assumed it was because both of them had played pretty poorly. I know that Spieth had played crap on Sat/Sunday but he actually stepped it up on Sunday and was -7! Lowry did well to earn that half and in fact could have won it given that he was 1 up on the last. I didn't count the American scores yet but I don't think anyone matched Spieth's -7.
I did this exercise again, but for the American team. Just for fun.

Spieth -7 - T
Koepka -5 (16) - W
Burns -5 (17) - L
Cantlay -5 (17) - W
Scheffler -5 - T
Thomas -5 - W
Schauffele -4 (16) - W
Harman -3 (16) - L
Fowler -3 (17) - L
Homa -2 - W
Morikawa -1 (15) - L
Clark Ev/+1 (17) - L

A little less correlation between score and result, given that only half of their top 6 performers won their match. It's funny as well that Homa was pretty much their best player by number of points won, and Spieth memorably played awful in all the pairs matches and thus might be remembered as one of the worst players - and yet Spieth's score was 5 shots better.

Swango1980

Visit site
I did this exercise again, but for the American team. Just for fun.

Spieth -7 - T
Koepka -5 (16) - W
Burns -5 (17) - L
Cantlay -5 (17) - W
Scheffler -5 - T
Thomas -5 - W
Schauffele -4 (16) - W
Harman -3 (16) - L
Fowler -3 (17) - L
Homa -2 - W
Morikawa -1 (15) - L
Clark Ev/+1 (17) - L

A little less correlation between score and result, given that only half of their top 6 performers won their match. It's funny as well that Homa was pretty much their best player by number of points won, and Spieth memorably played awful in all the pairs matches and thus might be remembered as one of the worst players - and yet Spieth's score was 5 shots better.
Looks like you did pretty much the same analysis as myself (Post 1236), except you calculated score to par and I calculated Handicap Index. Looks like the order of players is pretty much the same anyway.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
This is a good listen/watch and shows why Max is so popular - he's just really open and honest and, well, nice!

Bit late to the party with listening to this, but Homa gives these guys a lot of his time and is nearly always quite insightful. Interestingly, he doesn't believe the USA team is fractured and, whilst I can't speak to his actual experience, I think he's probably right this time round - but he hasn't experienced the Europe side of things which is probably a bit stronger and more of a 'team' rather than individuals; the USA team consists entirely of multi-millionaires, all of which have 'made it' and in some cases even making their way back, and their worst world ranking is 26 - there is nobody, even rookies, that needs to be taken under anybody's wing.
Team Europe on the other hand is diverse with a much larger gap (success, ranking, stature, career stage etc.) and allows for guys to take on leadership roles and ensure integration of all the players - this level of bonding creates a much better chemistry.... but it's sort of a moot point as things go, as it's not necessarily transportable - a team beats a more talented set of individuals in Europe but the individuals win in the USA, because the course plays to the individuals strengths (driver, wedge, putt, repeat).

The other take is the calling out of Skys Jamie Liar Weir. I find his twitter feed to be divisive and nonsensical at the best of times, but an unnamed source* close to Weir has said a documentary produced, directed and narrated by Jamie Weir, titled "How Jamie Weir won the 2023 Ryder Cup" ais bout to drop on repeat Sky very soon.

*another unnamed source said this unnamed source wasn't reliable.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Bit late to the party with listening to this, but Homa gives these guys a lot of his time and is nearly always quite insightful. Interestingly, he doesn't believe the USA team is fractured and, whilst I can't speak to his actual experience, I think he's probably right this time round - but he hasn't experienced the Europe side of things which is probably a bit stronger and more of a 'team' rather than individuals; the USA team consists entirely of multi-millionaires, all of which have 'made it' and in some cases even making their way back, and their worst world ranking is 26 - there is nobody, even rookies, that needs to be taken under anybody's wing.
Team Europe on the other hand is diverse with a much larger gap (success, ranking, stature, career stage etc.) and allows for guys to take on leadership roles and ensure integration of all the players - this level of bonding creates a much better chemistry.... but it's sort of a moot point as things go, as it's not necessarily transportable - a team beats a more talented set of individuals in Europe but the individuals win in the USA, because the course plays to the individuals strengths (driver, wedge, putt, repeat).

The other take is the calling out of Skys Jamie Liar Weir. I find his twitter feed to be divisive and nonsensical at the best of times, but an unnamed source* close to Weir has said a documentary produced, directed and narrated by Jamie Weir, titled "How Jamie Weir won the 2023 Ryder Cup" ais bout to drop on repeat Sky very soon.

*another unnamed source said this unnamed source wasn't reliable.
Who on the European team isn’t a multi millionaire? Even young Ludvig will be a millionaire and he’s only been a pro a few months.

I’m not sure I buy into the team thing. It didn’t do us much good at the previous RC! They are still individuals hitting shots.