Ryder Cup 2023 - Italy

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Fitzpatrick was absolutely on fire on Friday afternoon though - essentially had them 5up after 6 holes all on his own, match done and dusted. Didn't do much on Saturday, but then on Sunday he's unlucky enough to be drawn against the guy who was USA's best player by far - and very nearly got the half. Seems weird to be talking about him like he was a weak player for us?? :unsure:
It's not that he was a weak player necessarily, those first 6 holes on Friday afternoon were sensational meaning that match was never really in doubt, although McIlroy assisted from then on to close it out at the only point USA gained a little momentum, but ultimately Fitzpatrick won than match in 6 holes.

However, Eduardo's stats will show a much poorer return from hole 7 onwards from Friday, through Saturday (individual contribution on 2 or 3 holes only to half those holes) and a deterioration of shot execution on Sunday when the scoreboard showed more red than was comfortable... his 3rd at 16 and his 2nd & 3rd at 18. It is nitpicking for sure, he won that point on Friday and so broke his duck; whilst Homa was USAs best player, he did present an opportunity for a 1/2 on Sunday as his shots were loose as well, albeit he holed a good putt on 18 to seal it. 1 point from a possible 8 isn't great for a player of his caliber but, as mentioned, it doesn't tell the whole story (Westwood!).

At 31 come New York, and 33 at Adare, I suspect he'd need to be transitioning into a leadership position and I don't think he's there yet.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not that he was a weak player necessarily, those first 6 holes on Friday afternoon were sensational meaning that match was never really in doubt, although McIlroy assisted from then on to close it out at the only point USA gained a little momentum, but ultimately Fitzpatrick won than match in 6 holes.

However, Eduardo's stats will show a much poorer return from hole 7 onwards from Friday, through Saturday (individual contribution on 2 or 3 holes only to half those holes) and a deterioration of shot execution on Sunday when the scoreboard showed more red than was comfortable... his 3rd at 16 and his 2nd & 3rd at 18. It is nitpicking for sure, he won that point on Friday and so broke his duck; whilst Homa was USAs best player, he did present an opportunity for a 1/2 on Sunday as his shots were loose as well, albeit he holed a good putt on 18 to seal it. 1 point from a possible 8 isn't great for a player of his caliber but, as mentioned, it doesn't tell the whole story (Westwood!).

At 31 come New York, and 33 at Adare, I suspect he'd need to be transitioning into a leadership position and I don't think he's there yet.
To be honest I never rated him that much until a year or two ago when he added more distance and ultimately won the US Open - so after the previous Ryder Cup. I think he went up a level in that time, he just hasn't quite maintained that this year. The Friday morning showed what he's capable of though.

D

Deleted member 1147

To be honest I never rated him that much until a year or two ago when he added more distance and ultimately won the US Open - so after the previous Ryder Cup. I think he went up a level in that time, he just hasn't quite maintained that this year. The Friday morning showed what he's capable of though.
Injury held him back this year. So he only managed one PGA tour victory.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
There's always a lot of background noise and an inquest required for the losing team, but I'm not sure how deep it has to be given that being at 'home' brings a huge advantage to the teams. There was a 20 to 30 minute period yesterday where there was a very real possibility USA could get to the 14 points; Lowry was in trouble, Fleetwood and MacIntyre were having a wobble with a potential momentum swing but after Fowler's mistake everything closed out very quickly. Some random thoughts:
  • Hovland is a rock star.
Good post, I agree with all of that, however Billy Idol and Ossie Osbourne might be looking for you.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
He was also playing Wyndham (I'm better than Rory but clearly I'm not) Clark..... ;)
In fairness, on the Saturday fourballs, Rory missed a green to the left and went all the way down a slope.
Clarke got on the tee. And followed him to almost the same spot!
So at least he could argue for one hole he was a good as Rory! 🤣🤣🤣

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To be fair he was partnered with Westwood twice in the foursomes last time out, and he was rank. It's not necessarily his fault that Westwood can't putt.

I can't find the stat but i also saw that Fitz was the second lowest score in the singles but just had one of those opponents. Sure it was mentioned during the coverage this week so a loss isn't always due to poor play, in the same way a win isn't always a reflection of great play. Sometimes the draw is kind.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Fitzpatrick was absolutely on fire on Friday afternoon though - essentially had them 5up after 6 holes all on his own, match done and dusted. Didn't do much on Saturday, but then on Sunday he's unlucky enough to be drawn against the guy who was USA's best player by far - and very nearly got the half. Seems weird to be talking about him like he was a weak player for us?? :unsure:

Statistically he was the worst of the 24 players on both Saturday and Sunday. He had a hot start Friday but very quickly faded after 7 or 8 holes.

He can’t be trusted in foresomes as his bad shots are so bad it’s loss of hole. They always have been.

Fantastic golfer, deserved major champion but his introversion in an event designed around extroversion will likely hold him back in this event

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Statistically he was the worst of the 24 players on both Saturday and Sunday. He had a hot start Friday but very quickly faded after 7 or 8 holes.

He can’t be trusted in foresomes as his bad shots are so bad it’s loss of hole. They always have been.

Fantastic golfer, deserved major champion but his introversion in an event designed around extroversion will likely hold him back in this event
Interesting. I guess you never know with matchplay. MacIntyre has poor by all accounts in his first match, but Rose dragged him through it and he ended up unbeaten - without necessarily shooting the lights out at any point.

When you say statistically the worst, do you mean by gross score per hole essentially? Are these stats published anywhere, would be interesting to have a look?

D

Deleted member 1147

Interesting. I guess you never know with matchplay. MacIntyre has poor by all accounts in his first match, but Rose dragged him through it and he ended up unbeaten - without necessarily shooting the lights out at any point.

When you say statistically the worst, do you mean by gross score per hole essentially? Are these stats published anywhere, would be interesting to have a look?
If you get the RC app you can drill down into the scoring in each match

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If you get the RC app you can drill down into the scoring in each match

Maybe you can answer for me:

If player A drives the green on 16th par 4 finishing 50ft from pin then Player B tees off but hits three balls into the water and instead of hitting his 7th shot he concedes the hole… is player A (having only played one shot) now awarded an ‘eagle’ for their score on that hole ?

D

Deleted member 1147

Maybe you can answer for me:

If player A drives the green on 16th par 4 finishing 50ft from pin then Player B tees off but hits three balls into the water and instead of hitting his 7th shot he concedes the hole… is player A (having only played one shot) now awarded an ‘eagle’ for their score on that hole ?
If you’re referring to Clark and Bob Mac, it’s just down as a concession

Swango1980

Visit site
I'd have thought that, before or after the Ryder Cup, the official team shirts / jumpers the players wore could be bought online. That doesn't seem to be the case. There is a Ryder Cup store, but all the clothing is just generic Ryder Cup clothing, rather than replicas of what the players wore. Seems a missed opportunity to me.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I'd have thought that, before or after the Ryder Cup, the official team shirts / jumpers the players wore could be bought online. That doesn't seem to be the case. There is a Ryder Cup store, but all the clothing is just generic Ryder Cup clothing, rather than replicas of what the players wore. Seems a missed opportunity to me.
There’s a dodgy Ryder up shop that keeps popping up in my social media. Within a few hours of the win, the European Sunday shirt was available to purchase…..

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Having seen how much sweat the European's shirts retained and how awful they looked in twotone blue, I'm glad they weren't available before!
I'd have been livid to have paid that much for a flannel! 🤣🤣