Random Irritations

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Said it at the time, as the football and many other threads have proved, the topic of the discussion is irrelevant to certain people's desire to be inflammatory towards others.
Banning a topic rather than dealing with the offenders is not the way IMO.

If someone (or some people) can't discuss a topic in a rational manner and not just bleat on and repeat/insult people then remove them not the topic.

Its like being back at school and the whole class being punished for the actions of the class clown(s).
Fully agree. I’m as capable as most of going too far on occasion. It’s not intentional, but frustrations can arise. However, if a ban was imposed I think I’d accept it if it was deserved (and more often than not they are).

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Fully agree. I’m as capable as most of going too far on occasion. It’s not intentional, but frustrations can arise. However, if a ban was imposed I think I’d accept it if it was deserved (and more often than not they are).
Only downside I can see is that if something does kick off and the ban hammer starts working overtime there will be nobody left to talk golf..:unsure:;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Polo shirts. Specifically, why are a majority of them made for shortarses? Why don’t they make them long enough to be properly tucked in and not pull out as soon as you’ve swung a 9 iron ???? (and I’m not even that tall!)
Because tucking them in is old hat, and if they were long it would look like you were wearing a dress. :p

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
On that note...
No political threads.
As much as I initially supported the decision to ban them, I now believe it was a mistake and has negatively affected the forum.
Phil, have a word with Mike and get them back and then make sure that anyone who takes it too far is banned for a week. Now more than ever I need to read opinion from t’other side of the discussion. I hate the echo chamber that is social media.
Maybe there should be one all-encompassing 'Politics Thread'. It would be very broad of course, but at least they could then say any and all political discussions should be kept in that once place so as not to derail any other threads.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe there should be one all-encompassing 'Politics Thread'. It would be very broad of course, but at least they could then say any and all political discussions should be kept in that once place so as not to derail any other threads.

Or even a politics sub forum

Anyone wanting to avoid don't enter

Those who do fill your boots

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Because tucking them in is old hat, and if they were long it would look like you were wearing a dress. :p
I prefer to tuck in when playing TBH, but they just need to fit those of us over 6 feet tall!!!
I prefer a slimmer fit, but I’m still buying a shirt that has a 44-45” chest. At that size they should be long enough to reach my bloody belt. ?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In the 'real' world politics is a fact of life. I'd be willing to bet it crops up at some point in most casual golf rounds.

We enjoy the freedom of speech in the UK but it is also something that ìs slowly being undermined by restrictions.

Since we all have diverse views on the state of the nation 'political ' debate will be hard to keep locked down.

Banning the subjects just leads to frustration and snide remarks in other threads. Perhaps we could grow up and have a mature debate rather than slanging matches.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I prefer to tuck in when playing TBH, but they just need to fit those of us over 6 feet tall!!!
I prefer a slimmer fit, but I’m still buying a shirt that has a 44-45” chest. At that size they should be long enough to reach my bloody belt. ?
I dislike tucking my shirt in as I think I have freer movement with it out, but I believe the club I'm joining next year states that they prefer them tucked in. So I'll have to wait and see how strict they are on that. As you've said though, often they come untucked after a few holes so it's a waste of time anyway.

D

Deleted member 18588

But were any "political " issues ever actually discussed?

If they had been then some might have changed their stance on the issue in question.

Instead it seemed to me that we all just became more and more firmly entrenched in our own positions.

A case of "I'm right, you're wrong. End of."

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm long in the body and tend not to have this issue..
Maybe because I need extra mahoosive sizes they come with a decent length.?
Moral - if you want longer shirts ..eat cake!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

If they had been then some might have changed their stance on the issue in question.

Instead it seemed to me that we all just became more and more firmly entrenched in our own positions.

Totally agree. Too many people held very entrenched views on a lot of subjects but especially Brexit and they were unable to take a reasoned point and at least see that side of the argument whether they agreed or not and come back with a measured response as to why they disagreed. it was as you say "I'm right and you're wrong" and it then descends in to sniping and name calling. Personally I am pleased they have been stopped. A political sub-forum may be an answer but I don't see how these behaviours will changed wherever the topic is housed. Like religion I feel it is a subject best alone

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

Not actually disagreeing totally, but I valued opinion from political "opponents". It softened my stance in certain areas and hardened it in others. There are some very smart perceptive people on this forum (and obviously the opposite also applies ;)). My issue with certain aspect of the discussion centred more around how certain individuals posted and how they were replied to. It was antagonistic and unnecessary when there are solely adults in the room.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
We also have a fine history of mocking our politicians in this country, would be good to see this return, Bojo the clown, Wee Nicky and Dame Keir are all ripe for a pillorying!
I agree. Political satire is an absolute alpha trait of the British. I'd be incredibly sad if that was to be removed from public life.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree. Political satire is an absolute alpha trait of the British. I'd be incredibly sad if that was to be removed from public life.
...and it is aimed at highlighting particular positive or negative traits, actions, words or behaviours of the individual - and that highlighting is intended to make us think and analyse what they are saying and doing.

So simply on the specific example raised previously - what do I think about those telling us about an 'Australian Deal' - I cannot say - and I cannot ask that question of others, which is a pity as I'd like to know. There are plenty of intelligent people on this forum who'll be able to explain it to me. But they can't - more's the pity.

Anyway - if anyone is interested - Malcolm Turnbull (a former and very recent Australian PM; 2015-2018) explained it on BBC QT last night.

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
Totally agree. Too many people held very entrenched views on a lot of subjects but especially Brexit and they were unable to take a reasoned point and at least see that side of the argument whether they agreed or not and come back with a measured response as to why they disagreed. it was as you say "I'm right and you're wrong" and it then descends in to sniping and name calling. Personally I am pleased they have been stopped. A political sub-forum may be an answer but I don't see how these behaviours will changed wherever the topic is housed. Like religion I feel it is a subject best alone
These "entrenched views" are true of practically everything we argue about. Politics, golf etiquette (zillions of these), golf course management, golf costs, weather (well....most agree it sucks) haven't really seen much of anything on religion.....can we start picking on that?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

I feel much the same about the Premier League football thread. So I ignore it. It really isn't difficult and I don't feel I miss anything by simply not clicking on the thread when it has new posts in it. I suspect if more people just accepted that certain threads aren't meant for them, then the Forum would be a more harmonious place (y)