Random Irritations

D

Deleted member 18588

I feel much the same about the Premier League football thread. So I ignore it. It really isn't difficult and I don't feel I miss anything by simply not clicking on the thread when it has new posts in it. I suspect if more people just accepted that certain threads aren't meant for them, then the Forum would be a more harmonious place (y)
I agree with you and try to restrict my exposure to and involvement in the PL football thread.

Regarding political debate I think the answer might be for it to be confined to a separate sub-forum.

This would, however, require careful policing to ensure that the usual suspects do not sneak political angles into other subjects as tends to be the case at present.

D

Deleted member 15344

I feel much the same about the Premier League football thread. So I ignore it. It really isn't difficult and I don't feel I miss anything by simply not clicking on the thread when it has new posts in it. I suspect if more people just accepted that certain threads aren't meant for them, then the Forum would be a more harmonious place (y)

There are a lot of knowledgable posters on here in regards politics that I used to read and learn a good deal - hobbit and yourself especially

The issue was it was getting very hard to filter out the good posts because anytime a political thread started with good intentions it then became flooded by two posters. Also one of those posters had his own fan club ( still does now ) so whenever he posted it that was then proceeded by a flood of posters looking to trip him up

It’s a shame as there are some huge political issues going on right now that I’m struggling to understand ( trade deals etc ) and of course the virus issue

Might be worth if Mike would allow a trial thread and if people could be banned from that thread if it got too much at the same time don’t want to create too much extra work for the mods

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are a lot of knowledgable posters on here in regards politics that I used to read and learn a good deal - hobbit and yourself especially

The issue was it was getting very hard to filter out the good posts because anytime a political thread started with good intentions it then became flooded by two posters. Also one of those posters had his own fan club ( still does now ) so whenever he posted it that was then proceeded by a flood of posters looking to trip him up

It’s a shame as there are some huge political issues going on right now that I’m struggling to understand ( trade deals etc ) and of course the virus issue

Might be worth if Mike would allow a trial thread and if people could be banned from that thread if it got too much at the same time don’t want to create too much extra work for the mods
I agree (not with the learning from me bit, obviously ;)). It became very apparent that unofficial cliques had formed and were detrimental to the whole thread. The "Like" function (which I have been a big fan of on other forums) has probably contributed to this (or at least the perception of this). I learned more from the several Brexit threads than I did from any other social media outlet. I miss it. A lot. Especially when we're at an incredibly pivotal moment in the future of this Country/Union :cry:

As an aside, and to stay within the rules.. My random irritation is people who use brackets too freely when posting... :cool:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I prefer to tuck in when playing TBH, but they just need to fit those of us over 6 feet tall!!!
I prefer a slimmer fit, but I’m still buying a shirt that has a 44-45” chest. At that size they should be long enough to reach my bloody belt. ?
Try Woodworm tops, got a few and they are proper long. I have a long body’s no no chance of them getting untucked

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
These "entrenched views" are true of practically everything we argue about. Politics, golf etiquette (zillions of these), golf course management, golf costs, weather (well....most agree it sucks) haven't really seen much of anything on religion.....can we start picking on that?

I think you make a valid point although I'd counter (rather than argue!!) that on the golf thread although opinions may be "entrenched" at least we to some degree share some common ground and so it is "perhaps" easier to see a different point of view. Whether that then comes across in typed format is perhaps harder to agree with and of course we all know whether intentionally or not, what we type and what we are trying to say may not always be the same thing. Religion I think is a recipe for disaster and there are very good reasons why the Mods don't allow discussions on that subject.

I think LP and Bluewolf make some valid points especially in this period of uncertainty regarding the Brexit talks and the effect on trade, travel etc as well as the issue around the pandemic and in particular to the cliques and the divisions these create with one side looking to point score the other. I'm equally as guilty as any which is why I'm not in favour of restarting the political thread and only dip in and out of other contentious threads like the Covid one

D

Deleted member 16999

I agree (not with the learning from me bit, obviously ;)). It became very apparent that unofficial cliques had formed and were detrimental to the whole thread. The "Like" function (which I have been a big fan of on other forums) has probably contributed to this (or at least the perception of this). I learned more from the several Brexit threads than I did from any other social media outlet. I miss it. A lot. Especially when we're at an incredibly pivotal moment in the future of this Country/Union :cry:

As an aside, and to stay within the rules.. My random irritation is people who use brackets too freely when posting... :cool:
I smile at the fact far more people have been blackballed and banned for life from far more threads than the the political ones, maybe those subject thread should be closed.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking forward to the “ I told you so “ thread which will be fact checked from previous posts ...
I also still don’t understand how you can blame a minority party in the house for any decisions when you hold the majority!?!
My understanding was they are just spectators...

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Parking charges reintroduced at the hospital and no signs anywhere. Cost me £2.50 to pick up a Libre monitor for granddaughter. If there had been a mention I would have parked in one of the free 15 minute stopping bays.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Ticketmaster. Trying to buy 2 tickets for a show. On the seating plan there is one single in the stalls, and three together in the circle. I cannot buy two of the three together, because it will leave a single seat, but is happy for me to buy the one in the stalls & 1 of the three in the circle because then there is a pair left together. :mad::mad:

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ticketmaster. Trying to buy 2 tickets for a show. On the seating plan there is one single in the stalls, and three together in the circle. I cannot buy two of the three together, because it will leave a single seat, but is happy for me to buy the one in the stalls & 1 of the three in the circle because then there is a pair left together. :mad::mad:
Had to do this for some tickets to a West End show. Use two browser sessions.
With the first one put a single from the 3 in your basket but don't finish.
With the second browser session buy the two seats you want - it will let you now as they other is being purchased.
Then close the first session which will release the seat again.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
With the second browser session buy the two seats you want - it will let you now as they other is being purchased.

Ooooooh sly but clever ?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am fed up with looking up the nostrils of people being interviewed online. For goodness sake move back from the camera and face it straight on.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's genius. I can't believe TicketMaster are still doing that, it's the stupidest system. I get not wanting a load of one-off gaps but they should at least disable it when there's only a handful of seats left.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just been sent a password-protected Word doc by email, my phone won't open a password-protected Word doc and I have no other way ☹️

No idea if this is a phone settings issue or just not supported by the phone.

Any ideas out there?

Does it try to open and ask for the password or just refuse to open the file fully?

Can you email it from your phone to a laptop/pc you have?

Depending on how secure it needs to be, anyone you can send it to who can open it, unprotect it and send it back to you?