Random Irritations

D

Deleted member 16999

That is correct.....9:30....could be either way a fair bit. Works for those people. It only seems wrong because you don't agree with it.....I'm not saying you are wrong.... but this kind of argument works for politics/religion etc etc....one side thinks it should be a certain way (because they agree with it) and think it's wrong if they don't agree with it. I'd be fine with a compromise of some nature....heck, have the roll-up later in the day when it's not "prime time" to keep people like you happy....fine with me. I'm willing to compromise to try and make both sides happy...not sure you would be.
Please read my post #18,565. (y)

D

Deleted member 3432

Not at all, there's plenty of other tee times available.
If it was rubbish I'd say so, I'm not sure why you're so desperate to make the negative assumptions.

As long as members are getting a fair crack of the whip I have no problem with it.

What I do not like is a small proportion of members who think they have the right/entitlement to tee off at a certain time just because they 'always have done'.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Absolutely. This is included in every members newsletter on the website.
View attachment 33902
Sorry if I'm being dense here, but I thought the whole point of roll-ups is that they are exactly that: if you feel like playing, you just roll up on the day.
If you have to register in advance, that's not a roll-up, is it?

I don't have any problem with your club organising these groups like they do, but I do take issue with calling them "roll-ups".

D

Deleted member 16999

My mistake. Although......in post 18,573 (the one I responded to) you seem to take a different view from the previous post. This is just one of those topics which there isn't a correct answer to and winds people up.
No issue with the roll up, I just don’t think it’s fair for them to have open ended tee times.(y)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Absolutely. This is included in every members newsletter on the website.
View attachment 33902

We have something similar with a dedicated administrator for each group. New members that want a game are advised to call/email the administrator who can arrange to meet the member on the day and introduce them to the group. Works well. If they are run efficiently, roll ups and social golf can easily co-exist.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
"The australia solution"

Call it what it is and own it ffs

...and for what it's worth as a solution (I like the suitable synonym to decontextualise it), we might as well call it the Bangladesh solution. Wonder why we don't...

I agree - just call it what it is; own it - and get on with it.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As long as members are getting a fair crack of the whip I have no problem with it.

What I do not like is a small proportion of members who think they have the right/entitlement to tee off at a certain time just because they 'always have done'.

Totally agree with this - the biggest problem I had during my recent captaincy year was a small handful of weekend players who believed this and who then complained loudly to anyone who had the misfortune to be nearby. Naturally none of them were anywhere to be seen when it came to standing for office for the next year - just happy to bitch and complain behind your back because they couldn't have a set time every Saturday or Sunday.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
You mean they have stopped? ??
On that note...
No political threads.
As much as I initially supported the decision to ban them, I now believe it was a mistake and has negatively affected the forum.
Phil, have a word with Mike and get them back and then make sure that anyone who takes it too far is banned for a week. Now more than ever I need to read opinion from t’other side of the discussion. I hate the echo chamber that is social media.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Polo shirts. Specifically, why are a majority of them made for shortarses? Why don’t they make them long enough to be properly tucked in and not pull out as soon as you’ve swung a 9 iron ???? (and I’m not even that tall!)

This. ^^^ All day long. :mad: Every day. :mad::mad: All week. :mad::mad::mad: Every month. :mad::mad::mad::mad: All year round. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

And I am tall.

Nike seem to be the best of a bad bunch, Under Armour a close second.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
On that note...
No political threads.
As much as I initially supported the decision to ban them, I now believe it was a mistake and has negatively affected the forum.
Phil, have a word with Mike and get them back and then make sure that anyone who takes it too far is banned for a week. Now more than ever I need to read opinion from t’other side of the discussion. I hate the echo chamber that is social media.

For a first offence. A month for a second offence. And goodbye, it's been nice knowing you for a third. (y)

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
On that note...
No political threads.

Said it at the time, as the football and many other threads have proved, the topic of the discussion is irrelevant to certain people's desire to be inflammatory towards others.
Banning a topic rather than dealing with the offenders is not the way IMO.

If someone (or some people) can't discuss a topic in a rational manner and not just bleat on and repeat/insult people then remove them not the topic.

Its like being back at school and the whole class being punished for the actions of the class clown(s).

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Said it at the time, as the football and many other threads have proved, the topic of the discussion is irrelevant to certain people's desire to be inflammatory towards others.
Banning a topic rather than dealing with the offenders is not the way IMO.

If someone (or some people) can't discuss a topic in a rational manner and not just bleat on and repeat/insult people then remove them not the topic.

Its like being back at school and the whole class being punished for the actions of the class clown(s).
Also we are at a very interesting and important moment in history regarding the b word

With the reaction to covid aswell being questioned or not

Not being able to discuss these 2 major life issues when many are stuck working from home with no work place colleagues to bounce conversation off I think it was a very short sighted decision