McGinley's Ryder Cup picks?

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If he does pick Lowry I presume he would get a bit of stick and be accused of Irish favouritism! Still I'd say it's a possibility. Wouldn't be too shocked if someone like Ilonean was picked

D

Deleted member 15344

Europe is stronger, by a distance. The US are no mugs though.

Think on paper its meaningless who is stronger - the USA have been stronger in most RC we have played but we have always got the result

Think we have the makings of a very good team

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don't think Poulter is playing well enough - it would be an emotional pick.

Westwood is too streaky at the moment but been OK on the US courses but I don't think he has it for Gleneages.

I'd want some younger guns.

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ian Poulter and Luke Donald for sure , Poulter for what he brings to the Ryder Cup and Donald for 4 balls also Foursomes , Good record they both have and the other can be from any number with Westwood being the one who will is top of the list

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I think he will pick Westwood, Poulter and Donald, and not lose too much sleep over it. Experience Ryder Cup players who have never let Europe down over rookies.:mmm:

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really think that Lowry is more of an obvious pick, very good Match player, plays better in bad weather than most players. Don't really see a down side to be honest?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
How about Warren & Gallagher? Then its a toss up between Poulter, Westwood & Molinari.

If McGinley is struggling, I'm available that week...

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
imo Poulter & Donald are sure picks (or GMac should he drop out to any of those two in the remaining weeks). For the 3rd pick I'd go for Molinari but more probable will be a Scot either SteveG or Marc Warren. Westwood would be a surprise, he hadnt had a good year, had he. A lonesome 65 in the PGA and a W in the far east isn't much

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If Westwood has not had a good year, what about Poults and Luuuuuuuke?

They are both above him in the worlds points list and all play pretty much exclusively in the US so that would suggest they've both had better seasons than Westwood. World points list is based on ranking points gained over the year.

Luke Donald - OWGR 25
Ian Poulter - OWGR 33
Lee Westwood - OWGR 35

The proof is in the pudding.

sportsbob

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They are both above him in the worlds points list and all play pretty much exclusively in the US so that would suggest they've both had better seasons than Westwood. World points list is based on ranking points gained over the year.

Luke Donald - OWGR 25
Ian Poulter - OWGR 33
Lee Westwood - OWGR 35

The proof is in the pudding.

Stephen Gallacher - 34
Miguel A Jiminez - 31

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How about Warren & Gallagher? Then its a toss up between Poulter, Westwood & Molinari.

If McGinley is struggling, I'm available that week...

He would be struggling if you were playing lol ..............i think he will stick with Poulter , Donald but no 3 will be not so easy to pick , up to them all next few weeks to do the business

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
The automatic picks comprise the top 4 from OWGR and then the top 5 from European points list who didn't already qualify via OWGR.

Interestingly (or not) if you reverse that and take the top 5 from the Euro list and then go to the top 4 in OWGR not already qualified.... Poulter comes in automatically and GMAC drops out....

Anyway, I'd definitely want both IJP and GMAC in the team. Out of the other guys, Donald, Westwood, Ilonen, Jiminez, Gallacher.... none of them are stand out picks so would be looking at recent form and how they play over the next fortnight. WW has had such a bad year that he only merits a mention because of his experience and recent signs of a possible recovery in form.

EDIT: Gaah, got that the wrong way round but the point still stands - reverse the order and it changes! :eek: