Ryder Cup 2016 - Pick your team

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
With qualification now up and running for 2016 i was thinking about what Team Europe might look like and in my eyes I see a fresh, young team interspersed with some quality experienced players. Obviously there's 4 more majors to go and a load of WGCs to play not to mention unanswered questions like "Will Paul Casey take up a European Tour Card to try and qualify. I see some old stalwarts missing out this time and there's no room Mcdowell, Poulter, Donaldson and Donald in my team (at this moment in time) My projection for Team Europe 2016 is this:

Mcilroy, Rose, Stenson, Garcia, Westwood, Kaymer, Lowry, Willett, Fitpatrick, Sullivan ,Howell and Casey (if he takes his card)

It think Pieters,Fleetwood and Pepperell will run them close in qualifying too.

Anyone else want to play along ???

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't see Fleetwood qualifying, had a pretty poor year this year, will need something big next year. I'll go with:

McIlroy
Rose
Stenson
Garcia
Kaymer
Lowry
Willett
Wiesberger
Poulter
Westwood

Wildcards:

Dubuisson
Casey

D

Deleted member 15344

McIlroy
Rose
Stenson
Donald
Westwood
Lowry
Poulter
Weisberger
Kaymer
Willett
Garcia
Fitzpatrick

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
McIlroy
Rose
Stenson
Garcia
Kaymer
Lowry
Willett
Wiesberger
Poulter
Casey
Fitzpatrick

Not sure on the others, would think Westwood/Donald might get picks but would love to see Eddie get in.

D

Deleted member 15344

McIlroy
Rose
Stenson
Garcia
Kaymer
Lowry
Willett
Wiesberger
Poulter
Casey
Fitzpatrick

Not sure on the others, would think Westwood/Donald might get picks but would love to see Eddie get in.

Right now Casey can't play in the Ryder Cup and it would take a big year and a lot of comps in European for him to make the team.

I still believe that someone who drops Europe like that shouldn't be picked anyway

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right now Casey can't play in the Ryder Cup and it would take a big year and a lot of comps in European for him to make the team.

I still believe that someone who drops Europe like that shouldn't be picked anyway

you seriously think he wont take up membership in a Ryder Cup year???

he will 100% do it. and probably get in through the WorldRankings

D

Deleted member 15344

you seriously think he wont take up membership in a Ryder Cup year???

he will 100% do it. and probably get in through the WorldRankings

I don't think he will take up membership

The guy dropped the ET when it gave him his way back into the PGA after his lost his card

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think he will take up membership

The guy dropped the ET when it gave him his way back into the PGA after his lost his card

Just seen this -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/go...pite-snags-created-leaving-European-Tour.html

He is comfortably in the top 50 now, so will only need to play about 4or5 more events to qualify. Big cash in the middle east in Januaryish, Wentworth and the scottish open, and he is pretty much there.

I would literally bet my house on the fact he will be eligible when teams/picks are made next year.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just seen this -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/go...pite-snags-created-leaving-European-Tour.html

He is comfortably in the top 50 now, so will only need to play about 4or5 more events to qualify. Big cash in the middle east in Januaryish, Wentworth and the scottish open, and he is pretty much there.

I would literally bet my house on the fact he will be eligible when teams/picks are made next year.

If he is that desperate to play then he should have stayed with ET to earn the qualifying points required. Nothing stopping from playing ET now and rejoining.

Still wouldn't change my opinion that the guy shouldn't be picked regardless.

Someone that "desperate" to play RC doesn't drop their ET membership when they know a qualifying period is coming up.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Still a lot of love for Ian Poulter. Do people think he has the game the qualify by right or is he getting their vote as "Mr Ryder Cup" ? Personally i think that myth was extinguished at Gleneagles where he was, in my opinion, ordinary to say the least. I think he'll need a pick and i'm not so sure that DC will give him one automatically as he will do for Lee Westwood.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
If he is that desperate to play then he should have stayed with ET to earn the qualifying points required. Nothing stopping from playing ET now and rejoining.

Still wouldn't change my opinion that the guy shouldn't be picked regardless.

Someone that "desperate" to play RC doesn't drop their ET membership when they know a qualifying period is coming up.

I agree with you on the support element, But i think its time the European tour accepted they cant compete, and the only reason people keep their membership is for the RC.

He's probably the most 'talented' English golfer we have.

D

Deleted member 1147

Not much love for Luke Donald (except for LP) - do we not think he's on an upward trend and going to improve in time for the RC?

He's one of my personal fav's and I hope he's there!

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree with you on the support element, But i think its time the European tour accepted they cant compete, and the only reason people keep their membership is for the RC.

He's probably the most 'talented' English golfer we have.

Think the ET are looking to increase dual membership with Asia next year - I think the way the events are weighted in regards the ranking points etc pointing towards the PGA is unfair on the ET

Sponsors are more than willing to throw millions at events in the U.S. to attract golfers and they bring the ranking points.

Think there needs to find a fairer way of weighting each event - soon enough the ET could really struggle

D

Deleted member 15344

Still a lot of love for Ian Poulter. Do people think he has the game the qualify by right or is he getting their vote as "Mr Ryder Cup" ? Personally i think that myth was extinguished at Gleneagles where he was, in my opinion, ordinary to say the least. I think he'll need a pick and i'm not so sure that DC will give him one automatically as he will do for Lee Westwood.

Poulter despite not being at his best still provide some really quality momentum swinging moments - the chip in was at a crucial time and he still contributed and gained a point. He has gained some form this year and knowing its RC will work hard - understand he will be looking to play more on the ET to gain more points

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Time for the next generation to step up.
I would not lose any sleep if Westwood, Donald,Casey and even Poulter are not in the team.
Fleetwood, Sullivan, Willett, Wiesburger for me.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Poulter has actually had a pretty good year. Tee-to-green he's been up there with the very best in spells this year. Topped GIR at The Masters (and finished in the Top 10) but just can't get the putter going. He's working hard though, and the move to Titleist seems to have done him some good. I reckon he'll qualify automatically for the next Ryder Cup.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Poulter has actually had a pretty good year. Tee-to-green he's been up there with the very best in spells this year. Topped GIR at The Masters (and finished in the Top 10) but just can't get the putter going. He's working hard though, and the move to Titleist seems to have done him some good. I reckon he'll qualify automatically for the next Ryder Cup.

He's currently 65th in strokes gained tee to green and 32nd Strokes gained on putting.

However, in 2014 he was much worse in both categories.

Poults is a sensible man, and has realised Aimpoint has will improve his game - in an event the other week remember rightly he was something like +7 on the field for putting - thats incredible.

I'd love him to keep playing well

D

Deleted member 1147

He's currently 65th in strokes gained tee to green and 32nd Strokes gained on putting.

However, in 2014 he was much worse in both categories.

Poults is a sensible man, and has realised Aimpoint has will improve his game - in an event the other week remember rightly he was something like +7 on the field for putting - thats incredible.

I'd love him to keep playing well

Poult's keeps playing like a lot of us amateurs - he appears to have either a good long game, or, a good short game. He can't seem to get both working well during a round.