Ryder Cup 2016 - Official Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
P-S, Sounds fair.

Garyinderry - They were vocal I believe. I heard one abusive comment but then heard an Amercian voice shouting that the person be ejected. Fair play to that bloke. I think Sky can play with the sound so that it gets blocked out so we did not pick most of it up.

Good point. Radio stations have dump button to cut any bad language and I a sure sky have something similar.

Maybe twitter would have some videos that are unedited. Just wondering what exactly was said to get people thrown out.

D

Deleted member 16999

Good point. Radio stations have dump button to cut any bad language and I a sure sky have something similar.

Maybe twitter would have some videos that are unedited. Just wondering what exactly was said to get people thrown out.

LP posted one on this thread showing Rory going into the crowd to confront a bloke.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just read Justin Rose criticising the setup on Sunday being too easy "pro am like" with all the pins away from the water and the 17th being a particular gimme hole at 9 iron length. Particularly focusing on the final 3 holes.

Hi Justin, if they were so bloody easy why didn't you manage to birdie any of them then?

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just read Justin Rose criticising the setup on Sunday being too easy "pro am like" with all the pins away from the water and the 17th being a particular gimme hole at 9 iron length. Particularly focusing on the final 3 holes.

Hi Justin, if they were so bloody easy why didn't you manage to birdie any of them then?

Poor form really. Comment about the course if you have won, not when you lose.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Fair play to the yanks. They deserved it as they holed more putts on the day.

Team Europe can be fairly proud on the whole apart from Willett. He shouldn't be allowed near another Ryder cup team. Him and his bro are obvs cut from the same cloth and Danny is bad for the team.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Poor form really. Comment about the course if you have won, not when you lose.

I disagree a bit, what he is trying to say is he played great tee to green and not so great on the green but they played poorly tee to green and there was no downside to that when in the fact he putted poorly should have been offset with it being harder to hit the green in 2 with a wayward tee shot and it wasn't. So maybe he feels he was punished twice and they not all.

Of course the course was the same for both but lack of difficulty for crappy fairway accuracy probably feels a bit unfair if you hit the fairway regularly and the other guy doesn't yet can still get close to the pins.....

My feeling is if you putt poorly you will lose regardless.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Plenty saying the selection process isn't at fault. Possibly but the US went away after the last defeat and went all the way back to square one to get the best players possible. I liked the idea of not picking the last pick until after the Fed Ex so they are getting a player, who should be on form.

I think the issue, as Willett proved, is that you can have one good competition and be in the side without having to do a lot more over the season. Why do we use the world rankings so much when they can mask a player that had been playing well some time ago but is now out of form. I like the idea of the Race to Dubai rankings as again it reflects those playing well over the season running up to the RC. Ultimately, this time we were indone by two picks not showing up and several others (Sullivan, Willett) not cutting it.

Of course, as a random left field, why not give the captain carte blanche and let him pick who he wants based on form, providing they meet the qualification criteria and why bother with rankings at all and go with form players. Just an idea.

I can't see the European Tour and RC committee making wholesale changes. It'll be similar to this time and maybe just the number of picks will change. There were some good performances, especially Rafa Stenson Pieters, and Garcia apart from odd putting lapses and McIlroy acting as leader. On home turf (well almost) we should be capable of winning it back but I do think there are some lessons on the selection process that could be looked at

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Plenty saying the selection process isn't at fault. Possibly but the US went away after the last defeat and went all the way back to square one to get the best players possible. I liked the idea of not picking the last pick until after the Fed Ex so they are getting a player, who should be on form.

I think the issue, as Willett proved, is that you can have one good competition and be in the side without having to do a lot more over the season. Why do we use the world rankings so much when they can mask a player that had been playing well some time ago but is now out of form. I like the idea of the Race to Dubai rankings as again it reflects those playing well over the season running up to the RC. Ultimately, this time we were indone by two picks not showing up and several others (Sullivan, Willett) not cutting it.

Of course, as a random left field, why not give the captain carte blanche and let him pick who he wants based on form, providing they meet the qualification criteria and why bother with rankings at all and go with form players. Just an idea.

I can't see the European Tour and RC committee making wholesale changes. It'll be similar to this time and maybe just the number of picks will change. There were some good performances, especially Rafa Stenson Pieters, and Garcia apart from odd putting lapses and McIlroy acting as leader. On home turf (well almost) we should be capable of winning it back but I do think there are some lessons on the selection process that could be looked at

Willet in No1 on the R2D, so he'd of been there regardless

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com

The Ryder Cup is one of the few carrots the European Tour has although i would have no issue with the captain being able to pick the twelve he or she wants

D

Deleted member 16999

Very little change to selection to previous 3 Ryder Cups that we won!

Regardless of selection make up, Captains 12, Top 12 in World Rankings, etc etc, at that level if 3-4 fail to turn up for either team, that team is screwed and you can't legislate for that, 1 or 2 weak performances maybe you stand a chance.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Captain should have the opportunity to sub out a couple of the automatic picks. That should make it interesting ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very little change to selection to previous 3 Ryder Cups that we won!

Regardless of selection make up, Captains 12, Top 12 in World Rankings, etc etc, at that level if 3-4 fail to turn up for either team, that team is screwed and you can't legislate for that, 1 or 2 weak performances maybe you stand a chance.

Very true. Which is why I'd like to see the captain delay picking wild cards until the last minute to try and get the form horses. My concern, especially with world rankings, is that players can rise up and still be there on the back of previous performances while current form dwindles off.

D

Deleted member 16999

Very true. Which is why I'd like to see the captain delay picking wild cards until the last minute to try and get the form horses. My concern, especially with world rankings, is that players can rise up and still be there on the back of previous performances while current form dwindles off.
But it aint broken, US Team, Bubba 7th in World Rankings, not needed.
I would agree picks should be last minute.