Ryder Cup 2016 - Pick your team

D

Deleted member 15344

Poult's keeps playing like a lot of us amateurs - he appears to have either a good long game, or, a good short game. He can't seem to get both working well during a round.

Been working very hard on the new short game area at Woburn - was there every day during a recent visit and expect him to be there when the Fed Ex is done as well

D

Deleted member 1147

Been working very hard on the new short game area at Woburn - was there every day during a recent visit and expect him to be there when the Fed Ex is done as well

Hopefully it'll come right, just like with Luke Donald, as it always seemed a great strength (especially in the RC).

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Poult's keeps playing like a lot of us amateurs - he appears to have either a good long game, or, a good short game. He can't seem to get both working well during a round.

I agree with this completely. But as others have mentioned, he will be working incredibly hard to hit form and reserve a spot on the team. Gleneagles has certainly cast some doubt though, so he needs to work super hard.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I agree with this completely. But as others have mentioned, he will be working incredibly hard to hit form and reserve a spot on the team. Gleneagles has certainly cast some doubt though, so he needs to work super hard.

From Gleneagles, Poulter, Westwood, Donaldson, Bjorn, Dubuisson, GMac and Gallagher will all fail to make it IMO. More than 50% of the side.

A couple might get a wildcard.Although I would suggest Poulter and Westwood are in decline with GMac seriously needing to up his game.

We have some smashing younger players coming through though.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
you seriously think he wont take up membership in a Ryder Cup year???

he will 100% do it. and probably get in through the WorldRankings

Pretty sure he's already said he's not joining the European Tour next year. The guy has loved there for years now. His family is there as well and he's definitely said he never wants to spend more than a week away from his kids. Which I fully agree with.

We have our priorities in life, he has his.

labatudgm

Hacker
Visit site
IMO the European Team could be wildly different this time around.

On current form,

There are only 3 definates…
McIlroy, Stenson, Rose

Then several probables…
Lowry, Willett, Luiten, Garcia, Kaymer

Then there are a boatload of new possibles depending on the form next year
Fleetwood, Wiesberger, Pepperell, Levy, Mannasero

Then the others who need to show form
McDowell, Donald, Poulter, Debuisson, Westwood

And finally, Those who may play enough events to get in if they are consistent
Jimenez, Bjorn, Donaldson, Molinari

For me Donald, Poulter and Westwood HAVE to qualify to get in the team or be very close to get a pick.
Right now I wouldn’t pick any of them – we have to move on.

I think Clarke will have Westwood as a Vice Captain alongside Jimenez and Bjorn.

McGinley didn’t want to rock the boat during his Captaincy – it was safe to pick Wetwood and Poulter
so that there was no furore over the picks a la Monty with Casey or Faldo/Monty.
Tom Watson had all the problems going into the event, (and during), so McGinley kept it all straight and narrow
even though I thought we had more than enough already in the team
I would have loved him to have picked Lowry and Luiten instead.

Clarke faces a different challenge this time if he picks Westwood, Poulter and say McDowell in justifying the selections
due to their complete lack of any form whatsoever. Experience was the ‘excuse’ last time – can he say that again and get away with it?
Poulter as a pick was an ‘after Medinah’ decision – did he really contribute enough at Gleneagles?
he was searching for form and it really didn’t arrive.
IMO you can’t pick 3 out of form guys the team due to their experience only.

Clarke will face several key decisions on his team and their pairings if its not the ‘old faithful’ line up.
McIlroy/Lowry, Rose/Willett, Stenson/Wiesberger, Garcia/Luiten, Kaymer/????
I’d love to see it! Exciting players – have a go at them

Because Team USA looks formidable and picks itself already – the only question is how they pair up.

Definates - Speith, Watson B, Fowler, Johnson D, Johnson Z, Furyk, Walker, Reed
Probables – Koepka, Kuchar, Mickelson, Berger, Thomas, Horschel, Snedeker, Haas
Also – Mr T Woods ?

Clarke has his hands full !

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Still a lot of love for Ian Poulter. Do people think he has the game the qualify by right or is he getting their vote as "Mr Ryder Cup" ? Personally i think that myth was extinguished at Gleneagles where he was, in my opinion, ordinary to say the least. I think he'll need a pick and i'm not so sure that DC will give him one automatically as he will do for Lee Westwood.

I'd pick him as a vice captain but not let him anywhere near the playing team. He was mostly rubbish at the last one and he won't scare any US player anymore. Agree it's time to move on and stop living in the past.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yet he still played a pivotal role in his match to swing the momentum back to Europe when the US was on a bit of role - and has also regained form this year with some very good performances

Oh and it's no "myth" in regards his performances at the Ryder Cup - 08,10 and 12 show it's certainly no myth.

I know he isn't every taste and he is arrogant but his play in Ryder Cups has been unrivalled at times

Can see him being there once again - same with Westwood

Can't understand why McGinley needed an "excuse" to pick players ? He got it spot on

Not sure how Luiten can be mentioned has he has had a poor season compared to last

And the rounds it off by saying Woods ?!

D

Deleted member 1147

You can't write any one off just yet - there is a year before the RC and many good and bad rounds of golf to be played.

Donald looked to be getting better at the tail end of the season, Poults has played well without scoring, Woods may have a couple more surgeries and come back better, stronger & faster like Steve Austin.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
IMO the European Team could be wildly different this time around.

On current form,

There are only 3 definates…
McIlroy, Stenson, Rose

Then several probables…
Lowry, Willett, Luiten, Garcia, Kaymer

Then there are a boatload of new possibles depending on the form next year
Fleetwood, Wiesberger, Pepperell, Levy, Mannasero

Then the others who need to show form
McDowell, Donald, Poulter, Debuisson, Westwood

And finally, Those who may play enough events to get in if they are consistent
Jimenez, Bjorn, Donaldson, Molinari

For me Donald, Poulter and Westwood HAVE to qualify to get in the team or be very close to get a pick.
Right now I wouldn’t pick any of them – we have to move on.

I think Clarke will have Westwood as a Vice Captain alongside Jimenez and Bjorn.

McGinley didn’t want to rock the boat during his Captaincy – it was safe to pick Wetwood and Poulter
so that there was no furore over the picks a la Monty with Casey or Faldo/Monty.
Tom Watson had all the problems going into the event, (and during), so McGinley kept it all straight and narrow
even though I thought we had more than enough already in the team
I would have loved him to have picked Lowry and Luiten instead.

Clarke faces a different challenge this time if he picks Westwood, Poulter and say McDowell in justifying the selections
due to their complete lack of any form whatsoever. Experience was the ‘excuse’ last time – can he say that again and get away with it?
Poulter as a pick was an ‘after Medinah’ decision – did he really contribute enough at Gleneagles?
he was searching for form and it really didn’t arrive.
IMO you can’t pick 3 out of form guys the team due to their experience only.

Clarke will face several key decisions on his team and their pairings if its not the ‘old faithful’ line up.
McIlroy/Lowry, Rose/Willett, Stenson/Wiesberger, Garcia/Luiten, Kaymer/????
I’d love to see it! Exciting players – have a go at them

Because Team USA looks formidable and picks itself already – the only question is how they pair up.

Definates - Speith, Watson B, Fowler, Johnson D, Johnson Z, Furyk, Walker, Reed
Probables – Koepka, Kuchar, Mickelson, Berger, Thomas, Horschel, Snedeker, Haas
Also – Mr T Woods ?

Clarke has his hands full !

You realise Mannesero is currently ranked around about 450th in the world?

labatudgm

Hacker
Visit site
A reply to some comments above…

I did say and can only mean ‘On Current Form’ as no one knows what the next year will bring.

I will be delighted in my own little golfing world if Poulter, Westwood and Donald are all back with a bang next year.
I just don’t see it and they haven’t shown it this year - especially Westwood.
Poulter deserves the tag ‘Mr Ryder Cup’ – I still get goosebumps over his Medinah performance!
Just needs his game back in business. I hope he does and qualifies for the team.

IMO - the McGinley picks were easy – I think Clarke’s will be harder to justify the same experienced Ryder Cup players
within the media bubble if none of the above show any form – that’s what I meant by ‘excuse’.

Mentioning Luiten and Mannasero – I think Luiten was unlucky last time out and Mannasero is currently 480th
in the world – learn something new everyday – apart from the 3 defo’s I was putting names in hats
could have said Hatton, Sullivan, Morrison, - but went Manny due to Wentworth win and a hopefully bright future
with a Ryder Cup in it soon. I think all probable’s bar Luiten will get in anyway
but Luiten can play his way into the team next year.

Mr T Woods – I wrote the Defo’s and Prob’s and realised no Tiger mentioned
USA have a strong team with or without him. He’s a polarizing figure who can help or hinder Team USA depending
on your viewpoint. If he comes back, (again) and wins a couple of times – would he be a pick? Could he be ignored?

D

Deleted member 15344

So anyone fancy making any changes after the Masters ?

Think either Wood or Cabello Bello in for mine instead of Poulter

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Originally went with:

McIlroy
Rose
Stenson
Garcia
Kaymer
Lowry
Willett
Wiesberger
Poulter
Westwood

Wildcards:

Dubuisson
Casey

Don't think Poulter or Westwood will automatically qualify, but will likely be wildcards replacing Dubuisson and Casey. I imagine Cabrera-Bello will qualify if he continues his form, and be surprised if Andy Sullivan doesn't make it into the team, so reckon we'll line up:

McIlroy
Rose
Willett
Stenson
Garcia
Kaymer
Lowry
Fitzpatrick
Sullivan
Cabrera-Bello

Poulter
Westwood