McGinley's Ryder Cup picks?

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good round from Gallacher this morning, puts him right in the mix at the Czech Open. Heres hoping he keeps up the form and has a good weekend.

Great to see Paul Casey playing well too. Who knows, he may even be in line for a pick if he picks up a big playoff title in the next few weeks?

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
McGinley has several times on sky talked about how Westwood is a great Ryder cup player, and how good he is in the team room.
I can't see him not picking Westwood, even though he is below some others in the rankings. Recent low rounds do nothing to hurt his case.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If my memory serves, Poults hasn't played well in the run up to the last 2 RCs - and he bossed them both!!!
Westy was a controversial pick in the past but proved his worth.
Much the same for Luke....toss up between him and Gallagher for the third pick.

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If my memory serves, Poults hasn't played well in the run up to the last 2 RCs - and he bossed them both!!!

Donald and Westwood have been great players for us in the past, but the form has gone and I dont think their desire to play will get them through alone. If they are not playing well, do they have anything else in their locker to throw at the opposition?

Poulter, on the other hand, is a completely different animal. Always seems to go into the Ryder Cup with a point to prove and would happily bleed for the team. His grit and will to win make him competitive even when he isnt on his A game.

Personally I would sooner see guys on the team who have a point to prove, playing well and are hungry for it. Not the old guard who have been there, seen and done it, but are playing gash.

D

Deleted member 15344

Westwoods previous two tournaments are slightly better than gash !

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

what are you?.....12 :rofl:

no offense:ears:

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a feeling that this year could be the downfall of Poults. He has too big a reputation as "Mr Ryder Cup" that it is likely to fail at some point.

I really really really hope not, but I don't have the best feeling if/when he gets the captains pick. But saying that, with his record, he has earned the chance to fail, rather than not get picked on the off chance he doesn't succeed!

D

Deleted member 15344

Granted, T15 and T19 aint too bad.

But the 4 straight missed cuts prior to those are a bit of a worry!

It's not just the positions he finished in - it's the actual tournaments and the level of play

I think showing that form has made him a shoe in along with Poulter

Choice will be between Donald and Gallacher IMO

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It's not just the positions he finished in - it's the actual tournaments and the level of play

I think showing that form has made him a shoe in along with Poulter

Choice will be between Donald and Gallacher IMO

2 cuts in the last 6 tournaments :confused:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
What's confusing ?

Has shown great form in the WGC and the latest major - the last two tournaments he has played in.

thought it was obvious but happy to spell it out for you:rolleyes:

You said "showing that form has made him a shoe in along with Poulter"

I said "2 cuts in the last 6 tournaments:confused:"

meaning you think a world class golfer on the tour who has missed the cut 66.66% of the last 6 tournaments but finished in the top 20 in the last two is "showing great form"

Sorry I didnt make it crystal clear in my snippet post.

D

Deleted member 15344

thought it was obvious but happy to spell it out for you:rolleyes:

You said "showing that form has made him a shoe in along with Poulter"

I said "2 cuts in the last 6 tournaments:confused:"

meaning you think a world class golfer on the tour who has missed the cut 66.66% of the last 6 tournaments but finished in the top 20 in the last two is "showing great form"

Sorry I didnt make it crystal clear in my snippet post.

And im talking about his form in the last two tournaments ie a WGC and a major have made him a shoe in for the RC by showing the captain he can still perform at the highest level when the pressure is on

Hopefully that's all clear for you now :thup:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Poults being left out of the RC is like Gazza being left out by Hoddle.
I was watching golf the other day and McGinley was basically saying in around about way that
he would pick Westwood as he was good in the changing room.
That's how I read it anyhow.
Then again I used to like deep heat.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
And im talking about his form in the last two tournaments ie a WGC and a major have made him a shoe in for the RC by showing the captain he can still perform at the highest level when the pressure is on

Hopefully that's all clear for you now :thup:
it was clear in the first post:confused: saying it again doesnt detract from the ridiculousness of it. One swallow doth not a summer make!

D

Deleted member 15344

it was clear in the first post:confused: saying it again doesnt detract from the ridiculousness of it. One swallow doth not a summer make!

Well he has won more recently than players like Gallacher , Poulter and Donald as well as two good finishes in two out of the four majors this year.

To me it looks like he will get a pick - I guess we will find out soon enough.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Well he has won more recently than players like Gallacher , Poulter and Donald as well as two good finishes in two out of the four majors this year.

To me it looks like he will get a pick - I guess we will find out soon enough.
I think he will be picked as well- regardless of his form

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Omitting Poulter is unimaginable. As noone is really forcing himself into the team at the moment I think Paul will go for his experienced war horses Donald & Westwood. Furthermore there is only one Englishman in the team currently and sponsor obligations will compel him to pick them. I would be surprised if he'd chose Gallacher or Molinari