McGinley's Ryder Cup picks?

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Pouter -defo.
Why not Mark Warren he's in great form and is a scot, would be ahead do Gallagher for me, whose form has not be that good recently.
Donald and Jimenez may struggle for length on a damp long course like the Pga national.Westwood may get the nod on his experience.

A tough choice for McGinley

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Thats your opinion, personally I dont believe he would be such a liability to the team.

Would you at least submit to the fact that his name is being banded around, not because of him being Scottish, but because of where he sits on the current points lists due to the quality of his play this year?

If he makes it into the top 9 then he's on on merit but he should not be a pick imo.A bit of experience would be my picking option not a rookie that has had a decent 12 months. I don't rate him and feel there is better quality to pick from for the team.

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Pouter -defo.
Why not Mark Warren he's in great form and is a scot, would be ahead do Gallagher for me, whose form has not be that good recently.
Donald and Jimenez may struggle for length on a damp long course like the Pga national.Westwood may get the nod on his experience.

A tough choice for McGinley

I wouldnt rule out Warren for a pick either. Hes on great form, always seems to play well at Gleneagles and has experience of whupping the yanks in the Walker Cup. Realistically, I think he would need to get another win under his belt in the next few weeks to really get his name in the mix.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think Gallacher was in prime position but hasn't been playing great lately. Marc Warren probably the most "in form" Scot at the moment, but I don't think he's done enough for a pick.

Conversely, Westwood has been gash all year but is currently playing much better; I'd expect him to get a pick. Poulter too, although not on form but a proven winner in Ryder Cup.

I don't think there's an obvious third pick so it's wide open for someone on the fringes of selection to have a good couple of weeks and either force their way in to the team automatically or into that pick. Gallacher is in as good a position as anyone if he can hit form again.... But also guys like Ilonen, Molinari....

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There are 2 reasons to consider Warren, 1 -He's on form just now, 2 - He's won at Gleneagles but having said that I wouldn't pick him at all currently.

It will likely be 3 from 4 of the following - Poulter, Donald, Gallacher, Jiminez, Westwood.

Unless Gallacher finds some form he'll miss out, and if he does I reckon it will be Poulter, Gallacher and Donald. Westwood more likely to be there as a vice captain rather than a player IMO.

That is of course assuming all those in the automatic places remain in the automatic places as Poulter and more so Donald could overtake McDowell on the world points list.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hopefully Gallacher will get back to some decent form this week in the Czech Republic, a win there, and a good performance in Italy will put him in a great position.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Poulter and Westwood are nailed on.
The third is anyone's guess, I thought it would be McDowell but it seems he has played his way on. Assuming he stays in on merit I think Donald may well miss out and it could one of quite a few.

sportsbob

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Poulter and Westwood are nailed on.
The third is anyone's guess, I thought it would be McDowell but it seems he has played his way on. Assuming he stays in on merit I think Donald may well miss out and it could one of quite a few.

If GMac does not make it in merit, he would have to be a pick - 5 top 10s in his last 6 events.

It I is going to be an interesting few weeks for the captain.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not an easy choice, I think it will likely be between Jiminez Westwood Poulter Donald Gallacher and Molinari

I think I would go for

Jiminez

Poulter

Molinari

But I think any of the above mentioned would be fine for me Poulter and Jiminez would be good experienced Ryder cup players

D

Deleted member 15344

Jiminez is struggling these days and isn't really in form

As is Donald , Poulter and Gallacher

But McGinley will look at experience and partnerships

Donald has never been in a loosing RC team - he is perfect for foursomes and his partnership with Garcia is just outstanding

Westwood is perfect in foursomes and he is also coming right into form

And Poulter is just Mr Ryder Cup

That's why I think those three will get the picks if it stays the same as it is now

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The golden rule is pick the form guys.
In which case Westwood, Donald and Poulter's blazers are on shoogly pegs.

I would go for Westwood and Poulter over Donald because of the course being played.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jiminez is struggling these days and isn't really in form

As is Donald , Poulter and Gallacher

But McGinley will look at experience and partnerships

Donald has never been in a loosing RC team - he is perfect for foursomes and his partnership with Garcia is just outstanding

Westwood is perfect in foursomes and he is also coming right into form

And Poulter is just Mr Ryder Cup

That's why I think those three will get the picks if it stays the same as it is now

For me this is why Jiminez will be in for me, I did not know that fact about Donald so I guess he may well be a shoe in then

D

Deleted member 15344

For me this is why Jiminez will be in for me, I did not know that fact about Donald so I guess he may well be a shoe in then

2008 was the year he had his wrist injury

If the big Spainard had carried on his early season form then would have had him in but he is now moving across to the seniors comps more often - think he would be a perfect Vice Captain

gdc

Head Pro
Visit site
I think Westwood and Poulter will both get picked. Then between Donald, warren and Gallagher.

personally I would leave out Poulter as he is playing total crap this year. Donald and Westwood are showing signs of improvement.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think Westwood and Poulter will both get picked. Then between Donald, warren and Gallagher.

personally I would leave out Poulter as he is playing total crap this year. Donald and Westwood are showing signs of improvement.

signs of improvement really isnt what a RC Captain wants to pick, Donald changed his swing as well:eek:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
everyone seems to want Poults westy and the duck for romantic reasons imo.

Time will tell, when does he announce his picks?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Poulter is a nail on I'd have thought. Westwood had a good USPGA which may have got him ahead of a few in the wings but I'd like to see him keeping the form going a little longer. I don't think Jimenez will get the nod and to be honest I'm torn on Gallagher. I think he's done well, and yes, it would be good to have a Scot for the fans but I just wonder if we need another rookie when the captain gets the chance to add some experience and balance

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think Gallacher as a rookie pick providing he hits form wouldn't be a worry, it's not as if he is in his 20's. The guy is nearly 40 and has bags of experience so the chances are he'll take it in his stride. Remember Paul Lawrie last time, he only had one appearance in the Ryder Cup prior and it was a defeat 13 years earlier. No one really batted an eye lid about his lack of experience.

There is bags of experience already in the side so no need for sentiment regarding Westwood, Poulter or Donald for that matter, I suppose I could count Gallacher and Warren in that phrase too. I just hope he does and I'm sure he will, pick the right players to compliment the already qualified.