Changes to WHS in April 2024

D-S

Visit site
Are updating boards, maybe at worst every 4 or so years, a major hassle or expense for golf clubs?
If the boards that they are paying to update don’t give an accurate number and cause confusion versus other methods then yes.

You can see it happening by the first tee. Player goes up and checks his CH which on the board says 10, so he thinks in an individual comp his PH is 95% of this which is 9.5=10 but the computer says his PH is 9 . When all the questions are asked and the club says ah, the board gives a rounded number but we actually use an unrounded number - the first thing players are going to say is why do we have the boards if the number is ‘wrong’ ? or at least not the one used to calculate my PH.

Last edited:

Oldbutwise

Visit site
Even so, the info document states that "there is no mandatory requirement for Course Handicap boards – clubs may choose what is best for them".
This sounds like the authorities preparing to say that they are not willing to contribute towards new boards despite causing their necessity by belatedly introducing the CR-Par factor.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I wonder how many clubs will now pay for boards as they need to update them to include CR-Par, especially as they are “not entirely redundant”, now will not display all the information required (as they will display rounded values) and may serve only to increase confusion, as well they may well require updating in due course due to ratings changes etc.. I assume the cost and hassle will lead some/all clubs to think they will be more grief than they are worth.
Personally I would be doing away with boards, we need to get players using the technology at their disposal and they will just serve to confuse when players realise their own calculation doesn't match up to the printed cards value for playing handicap.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems madness to count 4BBB scores, even before you get into the vagaries of who scored on which hole. I know I play a very different style of golf in 4BBB and that’s sort of the point of it!
Yes do you think it will change the way you play ?

Will it make players less aggressive and not try and go for shots they would not go for in a medal .?

Its a bad move imo ,just to catch people who manipulate the system.

AussieKB

Visit site
Many years ago I explained the Aussie version of WHS to two English General Managers, also a EGU Official on one my visits there, they thought I had it all wrong, now reading this forum I know I was correct in that it was going to create a shite storm, welcome to the WHS the system that makes Handicaps easy to understand.

wjemather

Visit site
Many years ago I explained the Aussie version of WHS to two English General Managers, also a EGU Official on one my visits there, they thought I had it all wrong, now reading this forum I know I was correct in that it was going to create a shite storm, welcome to the WHS the system that makes Handicaps easy to understand.
It's actually a very simple system to use; some people just make it complicated for themselves by thinking they need to know how it works.

wjemather

Visit site
Yes do you think it will change the way you play ?

Will it make players less aggressive and not try and go for shots they would not go for in a medal .?

Its a bad move imo ,just to catch people who manipulate the system.
Surely the same argument applies to medals and Stablefords. The latter encourages a low-percentage strategy as the risk is lessened, especially when attempting to salvage 1 point, and a blow-up hole or two isn't the disaster it can be in a medal.

Does having a different approach have a significant effect on scoring?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely the same argument applies to medals and Stablefords. The latter encourages a low-percentage strategy as the risk is lessened, especially when attempting to salvage 1 point, and a blow-up hole or two isn't the disaster it can be in a medal.

Does having a different approach have a significant effect on scoring?
I think it does have an effect.
If you lay up on every hole your going to have less disasters but less birdies / eagles!

in a medal / Stableford your on your own.
But we’re discussing 4bbb we’re you have a partner as a safety net.

Also medals are converted to Stableford for handicapping.
So any medal score is only for the competition prizes not for handicapping!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It's actually a very simple system to use; some people just make it complicated for themselves by thinking they need to know how it works.
I find it simpler if I understand how it works.
Forever stumbling in the dark - I would find complicated.

I do think I need to know how it works.
But yes yes yes, I agree it is a simple system to use.

D

Deleted member 29109

How does knowing how the HC works affect how someone plays golf? It shouldn’t make the slightest difference unless someone is trying to manipulate their HC!

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Amateur social golf has never been under any obligation to use whatever official handicap system is in operation; many groups will continue to choose to use their own ad-hoc system which may or may not bear some resemblance to the official system that affiliated organisations must use for their competitions.
This is not strictly true.
There have been cases of people being held to account for unfair handicapping practices in social golf.
There is an obligation to have a "fair" game in social golf and not unfairly disadvantage some or unfairly advantage some players.

Swango1980

Visit site
I find it simpler if I understand how it works.
Forever stumbling in the dark - I would find complicated.

I do think I need to know how it works.
But yes yes yes, I agree it is a simple system to use.
I actually get the impression you, personally, is pretty comfortable how the system works. So I'd be comfortable that you'll be OK once the 2024 changes occur.

There are a lot that are pretty unsure about how aspects of it works still, but they still play golf and don't appear overly stressed by it. And I'm sure this will continue next year. I certainly doubt the changes next year will be as big a shock as when WHS was implemented, and we got through that.

Believe it or not, even before WHS was implemented, loads didn't understand the old system. I was forever explaining SSS, CSS, handicap categories, buffer zones, etc. And I knew that, for a lot of people, that information would stick for long.

I guess some people just have an analytical brain, and want to understand everything. If they don't, I'm sure they understand plenty to get by. And some people have little interest, so it won't bother them much anyway.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I actually get the impression you, personally, is pretty comfortable how the system works. So I'd be comfortable that you'll be OK once the 2024 changes occur.

There are a lot that are pretty unsure about how aspects of it works still, but they still play golf and don't appear overly stressed by it. And I'm sure this will continue next year. I certainly doubt the changes next year will be as big a shock as when WHS was implemented, and we got through that.

Believe it or not, even before WHS was implemented, loads didn't understand the old system. I was forever explaining SSS, CSS, handicap categories, buffer zones, etc. And I knew that, for a lot of people, that information would stick for long.

I guess some people just have an analytical brain, and want to understand everything. If they don't, I'm sure they understand plenty to get by. And some people have little interest, so it won't bother them much anyway.
Yep.
The April 2024 changes don't do much.
Score differentials are unchanged - how my handicap moves up and down is unchanged.
In competitions - all handicaps move up a bit or down a bit.
I'll be comfortable with that.

Social games will be a different matter - trying to find agreement with three others as to who gets how many shots in betterball matchplay.
I will suggest 90% of unrounded CH (using CR-Par). Lowest gives shots to others.
Then I will listen to 3 other ideas, none of which will be the same as mine. :rolleyes:

Moving from three-quarters to 90% of the difference caused quite a stir some years ago, there was resistance, but eventually everyone accepted the new "correct" way to do it.
We'll get there this time - may take a while.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Believe it or not, even before WHS was implemented, loads didn't understand the old system. I was forever explaining SSS, CSS, handicap categories, buffer zones, etc.
et moi.

re CSS, if I opened the book to show them the tables they would say "I'm sure it's all OK" and go away.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
In OZ it is full difference in matchplay....big advantage to high handicappers.
Full difference between Course Handicaps here in singles matchplay.

Full difference between Playing Handicaps that are of 90% of Course Handicaps in betterball matchpay.

I would prefer the Oz system that does not have Course Handicap.