Changes to WHS in April 2024

wjemather

Visit site
I thought that there was just one WHS Rules of Handicapping and then regions removed the bits that they want to with "Guidance" documents. The Document is marked as World Handicapping System R&A USGA Rules of Hanidcapping Effective January 2024 (c) 2023 The United States Golf Association and R&A Rules Limited.
Each handicapping authority produces their own version of the Rules of Handicapping. The accompanying guidance documents they provide merely provide additional clarifications and examples beyond what is included in the standard manual (including available options).

Alan Clifford

Visit site
How many years were put into this and they are still making changes ?
that a lot of golfers are not happy about, but hey just follow the US
because they control Golf, or think they do.
The USA are changing away from their "add two scores together" to our "add on mythical scores" for 9 hole differentials. A retrograde step in my opinion.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Unrounded course handicaps available here (with or without CR-Par at the moment)

On the first tee, I would just need to type the unrounded CH into my 1977 Casio Fx29 and multiply by 0.95 etc.
Doing it 4 times for a 2v2 betterball match (multiply by 0.9) would be a very enjoyable start to the game.
Really looking forward to April.
Must remember to put fresh Duracells in the Casio in March.
Its all about "machine precision" you see.
A 1977 era calculator may use a different precision to modern computers :ROFLMAO:

wjemather

Visit site
So if you get the 2 points, allowing your partner to go for and get a 3 pointer, you are only credited with 2 points?
If EG use this upscaling method ‘based on partner’s scores’ it’s going to take some explaining to the rank and file.
You would only be credited with the 2 points if your score was the counting one for that hole; otherwise you would be credited with 1.5 points.

The rank and file only need to know that 4BBB will be acceptable for handicapping and a score differential will be calculated for individual players when their team score is over 42 points, they have 9 or more counting hole scores, and their upscaled score would be 36 points or more. They don't need to be overloaded with the technicalities.

Swango1980

Visit site
I thought that there was just one WHS Rules of Handicapping and then regions removed the bits that they want to with "Guidance" documents. The Document is marked as World Handicapping System R&A USGA Rules of Hanidcapping Effective January 2024 (c) 2023 The United States Golf Association and R&A Rules Limited.
Nope. In fairness, the USA one and our one look very similar, but not the same (e.g. USA one obviously had the CR-Par bit in their course handicap equation, pre 2024 changes, we didn't)

But the Australia one looks very very different to ours

Swango1980

Visit site
Just as a clarification for this 4BBB scoring. Does it only give you an imaginary score when there is no score present? Whereas, if you just enter 18 hole scores, it will use those 18 scores regardless (i.e. if you score an 8 for 0 points on a hole, it isn't going to round your score up to something higher if your partner gets 3 points on the same hole?)

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Here is my tuppence worth on the 2024 changes, based on the Wales Golf overview of changes, and the updated Guidance on Handicapping:

• ‘Overnight processing will determine the Mean Expected Score Differential for the 9 holes not played and this will be added to the 9 hole Score Differential to provide the scaled-up 18 hole Score Differential for handicap calculation purposes.’

I can't see that working at our club in England as people put their cards in the box and they are not processed for several days.

However, I've been told that the expected score calculation for the nine holes differential add on is a lot simpler, (0.52*HI)+1.2. But maybe that is just in Europe; I hope UK are not going to be different.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You would only be credited with the 2 points if your score was the counting one for that hole; otherwise you would be credited with 1.5 points.

The rank and file only need to know that 4BBB will be acceptable for handicapping and a score differential will be calculated for individual players when their team score is over 42 points, they have 9 or more counting hole scores, and their upscaled score would be 36 points or more. They don't need to be overloaded with the technicalities.
Whats the reasoning behind only including scores of 42 or more and disregarding poor scores..?
If you've signed up for a counting card then surely it should be counted regardless of quality..

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Whats the reasoning behind only including scores of 42 or more and disregarding poor scores..?
If you've signed up for a counting card then surely it should be counted regardless of quality..
It appears to be an anti-bandit policy. If the team score isn't outrageous then it's not worth the effort and the scoring uncertainty to change someone's handicap. If the team score is taking the mickey, someone's gonna get a cut!

D-S

Visit site
Just as a clarification for this 4BBB scoring. Does it only give you an imaginary score when there is no score present? Whereas, if you just enter 18 hole scores, it will use those 18 scores regardless (i.e. if you score an 8 for 0 points on a hole, it isn't going to round your score up to something higher if your partner gets 3 points on the same hole?)
As I understand it, if you meet the criteria (ie..scored on 9 holes or more and pair shot 42 points or higher and on one hole you scored 8 for 0 points and your partner scored 3 points you would be credited with 1.5 points. See post 106 on this thread.

wjemather

Visit site
I can't see that working at our club in England as people put their cards in the box and they are not processed for several days.
How do they come to be sat in a box for days?
Rule 1.3 & Appendix A - players have the responsibility to submit scores asap and before midnight on the day of play; and clubs and handicap committees have the responsibility to ensure this happens.

wjemather

Visit site
To accept all 4BBB scores, MLS would have to be adopted, and there is no appetite for that.

YandaB

Visit site
Yes, sounds like a good thing for those that want vanity handicaps. I wonder if elite competitions are going to update their entrance stipulations to ensure that you play enough individual rounds of golf, not just competition ones ('cos we know what they already think of General Play rounds).

As others have said whilst I typed this, it could be good for reducing the 4BBB Bandits (4BBBB or 4x4B?).

Swango1980

Visit site
As I understand it, if you meet the criteria (ie..scored on 9 holes or more and pair shot 42 points or higher and on one hole you scored 8 for 0 points and your partner scored 3 points you would be credited with 1.5 points. See post 106 on this thread.
That sounds odd. Physically entering an 8 for a hole, but WHS deciding to give you 1.5 points anyway? I could understand if your score was just left blank as it wasn't counting, and they needed to put something in "reasonable", but not so if an actual score has been submitted.

Swango1980

Visit site
It appears to be an anti-bandit policy. If the team score isn't outrageous then it's not worth the effort and the scoring uncertainty to change someone's handicap. If the team score is taking the mickey, someone's gonna get a cut!
It'll be interesting what happens to those that only ever plays in these sorts of pairs events competitively. Probably not many, but for those that exist they'll only ever get handicap cuts in competitive play. I guess that will put more pressure on them to submit more casual rounds so their handicap accounts for their rubbish golf as well.

Always thought the integrity of the handicap system required all rounds (that have been pre-registered) to be submitted. Not selectively choosing the scores that are submitted once known. Perhaps those within WHS acknowledge that there is currently a significant lack of integrity in such competitions at the moment, and so now changing it so only the good scores are counted?

I wouldn't mind if they included scores from the best 2 from 4 player team scores, as nearly every open I play in seems to be that format.

NearHull

Visit site
The England Golf document said:

"A course handicap is the number of shots the golfer receives for the tee set they are going to play. Currently in England, Wales and Ireland this value is calculated to a decimal and then rounded for the golfer, which is the value they use when playing golf (both general play and competition golf).

Under the 2024 WHS rules of handicapping update this will remain unchanged, only if there is a lack of “machine precision” for calculation purposes.

Where there is an ability to use “machine precision” calculation by using ISV software or My EG app etc. the Playing Handicap™ calculation will change to “unrounded”. The unrounded value is carried forward to then calculate the Playing Handicap™, the Playing Handicap™ would then be rounded to a whole number.

*Machine Precision – utilising the computer software to ensure the accuracy of the calculations."
I am referring to the pedantic players who, on the tee, prior to the start of a casual round, use the calculator on their phones to determine PH without rounding at CH. Their logic will be that their device is using Machine Precision – utilising the computer software to ensure the accuracy of the calculations."

( on my course for the whites, one of the ‘rounding trip’ points is with a HI of 13.1. There will be a shot diffence between the ClubV1 individual competition PH of 14 and the individual casual golf PH of 15)

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
I am referring to the pedantic players who, on the tee, prior to the start of a casual round, use the calculator on their phones to determine PH without rounding at CH. Their logic will be that their device is using Machine Precision – utilising the computer software to ensure the accuracy of the calculations."
As far as I'm aware, there is only one chap in the UK who brings his Casio DH-12ET 12-Digit Desk Calculator to the first tee. He's in this forum, and I don't play golf socially with him. So I'll not worry too much about this issue :)

NearHull

Visit site
As far as I'm aware, there is only one chap in the UK who brings his Casio DH-12ET 12-Digit Desk Calculator to the first tee. He's in this forum, and I don't play golf socially with him. So I'll not worry too much about this issue :)
I edited my response rather slowly. Please reread it.

Swango1980

Visit site

( on my course for the whites, one of the ‘rounding trip’ points is with a HI of 13.1. There will be a shot diffence between the ClubV1 individual competition PH of 14 and the individual casual golf PH of 15)
Got the edit. Does the Playing Handicap in a competition include the 95% adjustment? And are you applying the same 95% socially? I just use Course Handicap socially now, as applying the 95% is a bit pointless (unless you're playing with a few high handicappers and you want them to lose an extra shot :) )