Handicapping rules April 2024

tobybarker

Visit site
I'm yet to see a set of HCP rules for April. In particular I wish to read the bit that describes how pairs matchplay PH will be calculated ie PH=100% of CH (rounded) then subtract the lowest and then multiply by 0.9.....I need to see the exact wording, as I know different clubs we play against, who have only just got used to doing the 90% thing BEFORE subtraction of the lowest, will complain!

D-S

Visit site
I'm yet to see a set of HCP rules for April. In particular I wish to read the bit that describes how pairs matchplay PH will be calculated ie PH=100% of CH (rounded) then subtract the lowest and then multiply by 0.9.....I need to see the exact wording, as I know different clubs we play against, who have only just got used to doing the 90% thing BEFORE subtraction of the lowest, will complain!
England Golf 2024 WHS Update resources, rules are there as is the GB&I Guidance document- all for April onwards

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
All the resources you require are here...

NearHull

Visit site
Email from our Area Handicap Rep.

Unsurprisingly, there has been some confusion over how a PH in matchplay will be calculated after April 1st.

For singles matchplay the player's rounded CH will be used, with 100% difference applied between the players.
4BBB matchplay will use the rounded CH of each player, with an allowance of 90% of the difference between the lowest player and others.

Foursomes matchplay will use the rounded CHs of Team A combined, and Team B combined. The difference between Team A and Team B will be halved. The above will be calculated in the same way regardless of the process by which the match is run.

For all other formats of play single rounding will apply; with the exact unrounded CH of a player having any mandatory % applied for each format of play.

I would strongly recommend using the mixed tee calculator if you are unsure; you can also use it for one tee (enter the same values for tee1 and tee 2).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is that not just the figure you get off the slope chart like you get now?

No the current slope charts are redundant.

It is because of where rounding takes place in the calculation.

The authorities have said you must use 'computer calculated' handicaps for precision purposes e.g. PSI screen, ISV app. Clubs have been advised that they no longer need to have handicaps boards.

The new charts - which presumably all clubs will display - will incorporate CR - Par

wjemather

Visit site
No the current slope charts are redundant.

It is because of where rounding takes place in the calculation.

The authorities have said you must use 'computer calculated' handicaps for precision purposes e.g. PSI screen, ISV app. Clubs have been advised that they no longer need to have handicaps boards.
This isn't entirely accurate. It only applies when competition software is performing the calculations.

Clubs should also facilitate some other means of Course Handicap lookup if not replacing the boards, e.g. QR codes that direct to the club website.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Par 70, CR 69.1 and SR 127.

Singles comp will be = ((HI x 1.124) - 0.9) x 0.95

But I must never attempt this myself, but rely on software to do it for me.
I have been told and don't need telling again.
I will comply.
Resistance is futile.

wjemather

Visit site
They shouldn't but it doesn't mean they never have done or will never try to unless advised otherwise.
But everyone should already have been advised (for the last 3½ years) not to do these calculations themselves and let the software take care of it.

D-S

Visit site
But everyone should already have been advised (for the last 3½ years) not to do these calculations themselves and let the software take care of it.
But for the last 3 years most could do these calculations from the mandatory slope boards either in their head or with a calculator on their phone, some did regularly - I never remember seeing any note or advice saying that calculations of % shot allowances must never be done, so some regularly did so.

If they do so now (from1/4) from the new numbers that might, in many clubs, be still displayed in the same fashion there is a possibility that they will come up with a different number due to the rounding, despite their maths being right - they need to be advised not to now.