Handicap Lookup Post 1st April 2024

AussieKB

Visit site
1) But it doesn't seem to be matchplay.
2) The Section 10 of the GA Official reference guide for Australian administrators doesn't mention 4BBB
No one plays 4BBB matchplay out here that I know of.....and i play competitive golf a lot,
will try and find a course that does.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
No one plays 4BBB matchplay out here that I know of.....and i play competitive golf a lot,
will try and find a course that does.
Interesting. There are a lot of inter-club leagues over here where they are run in 4BBB matchplay format. And of course the Ryder Cup includes them.

AussieKB

Visit site
Interesting. There are a lot of inter-club leagues over here where they are run in 4BBB matchplay format. And of course the Ryder Cup includes them.
I have been a member of a major Perth club and now a member of 2 clubs just out of Perth( less than 90 minutes ) and neither have a 4BBB knockout, talking of over 35 years.

AussieKB

Visit site
FYI

I would note that all 4BBB match play competitions conducted by GolfWA, being Men’s and Women’s Senior Pennants, do not use the 90% multiplier reference in (A) as this is a recommendation not a rule. This does not stop a club using this recommendation and relevant calculation.

From Admin at Golf Western Australia.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yeah - that is exactly the point of it I think… The course was completely remodelled and re-bunkered, so they gave plenty of options for tees, and is playable for lots of lengths of hitters.

If you choose a tee that is suitable for your length then the bunkers are all in play, and equally if you want to feel like Rory you can move forward a couple and smash it over the hazards.

Having that many options also highlights the change coming - Currently off a Handicap Index of 15.8 I get a Course Handicap of 18 off all tees down till Green, where I get 17, with the same on the rest of the tees.

From April I believe I’ll get CHs of:
  • 19 (Gold & Gold/Blue)
  • 18 (Blue)
  • 17 (Blue/Green)
  • 15 (Green)
  • 14 (Green/Orange)
  • 13 (Orange)
Will make me think more about which tees I want to play off in comps now (was a no brainer to play of Green/Blue for me previously)

I couldn't get my head round the UK CH system so I'm looking forward to the change to match the system I've been using out here since WHS kicked in

We've 'just' the 5 sets of tees but my 14.6 index gives me a CH of:

White - 19
Yellow - 15 (comp tee)
Blue - 12
Red - 9
Green - 5

& the only diff between tees is length of 2,000 extra yards back to front (& sometimes the line on couple of Par 3's due to sheer number of teeing area options)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I couldn't get my head round the UK CH system so I'm looking forward to the change to match the system I've been using out here since WHS kicked in

We've 'just' the 5 sets of tees but my 14.6 index gives me a CH of:

White - 19
Yellow - 15 (comp tee)
Blue - 12
Red - 9
Green - 5

& the only diff between tees is length of 2,000 extra yards back to front (& sometimes the line on couple of Par 3's due to sheer number of teeing area options)
Very big difference :unsure:

What are the respective CRs, Slopes & Pars

Springveldt

Visit site
I have been a member of a major Perth club and now a member of 2 clubs just out of Perth( less than 90 minutes ) and neither have a 4BBB knockout, talking of over 35 years.
I love how the Aussie's judge distance. "Just outside" is a 90 minute drive while here in the UK a 90 minute drive is "I'm not driving all the way there, it will take all day".

Reminds me of the time my parents went over to Oz to visit my aunts and uncles who live in Newcastle NSW (just north of Sydney as they put it while it's actually a 2 hour drive). My uncle asked my mum what they fancied doing one day and my mum said "I wouldn't mind seeing that big red rock thing" and my uncle pointed and said "it's 3 days that way". Needless to say, they did not go see it.

AussieKB

Visit site
I love how the Aussie's judge distance. "Just outside" is a 90 minute drive while here in the UK a 90 minute drive is "I'm not driving all the way there, it will take all day".

Reminds me of the time my parents went over to Oz to visit my aunts and uncles who live in Newcastle NSW (just north of Sydney as they put it while it's actually a 2 hour drive). My uncle asked my mum what they fancied doing one day and my mum said "I wouldn't mind seeing that big red rock thing" and my uncle pointed and said "it's 3 days that way". Needless to say, they did not go see it.
Yes I agree......when I was in England a mate's Dad asked if I could call in say hello to a friend in Adelaide, told him it was over 1500 miles away, he was dumbfounded, most Brits do not realise how big OZ is.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Yes I agree......when I was in England a mate's Dad asked if I could call in say hello to a friend in Adelaide, told him it was over 1500 miles away, he was dumbfounded, most Brits do not realise how big OZ is.
Lisbon to Moscow. Driving distance under 4,000 km.

Perth to Cairns. Driving distance over 5,000 km.

Or so I've been told.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Well, 1000 yards and especially the shortness of the par 5s explains a lot.
I notice also the slopes of the red and green tees.

Yeah while all tees are rated for both men and women the greens are mostly used by beginners and juniors while the reds are almost exclusively used by women

There's prepared teeing areas further back than the whites on several holes inc a couple of par 5s, but not used unless the field quality needs it. Although I don't think they're particularly short even off the yellows
The card is in meters

chips7400

Visit site
On Monday 1st April (Easter Monday), the updates to WHS will come into effect across GB&I. The changes will affect your Playing Handicap (PH) for most formats. The link below will allow you to download a Playing Handicap Lookup spreadsheet.

Before the ‘Usual Suspects’ pop up on here and say, “why don’t you just download the one available from EG”? I did, and I found it a bit ‘clunky’ to use, and limited to entry of two or three player HC’s in places where there should be four!

The problem is when you design a layout using a 23” PC monitor it looks and works well, unfortunately it does not transfer very well onto a 5” mobile phone or even a 10” tablet.

There are limits on how condensed you can make the layout and still maintain a comfortable degree of legibility. It becomes a balancing act. One of the problems with Excel on a phone or tablet is that the display of the ‘current’ cell tends to obliterate the surrounding cells. To avoid this there is a cell called ‘Android Park’ where you can ‘park’ the cursor and it does not interfere with any of the cells containing data.

In the ‘Player Data’ area you have all the information you need to work out your PH for various formats. The most common formats have already been done for you and are laid out below the Player Data area.

Remember to remove data that isn’t relevant. If only a 3-ball delete data for Player D etc. otherwise the figures will be taken into account.

The data examples in Appendix I (V2.3 of Rules of Handicapping) were used to verify calculations and then tested with alternatives.

You can do ‘Mixed Tees’, though I suspect most will be using it for a Single Tee.

You can only enter data in the relevant cells, all others are ‘locked.’

Download is free.

Handicap Lookup V2024/1.5 (see later post for latest update)

The Tee List is just in a generic format, if you would like a ‘customised’ set of colours etc. then let me know and I will do one for you.

No payment for this is required, though a commitment to donate to PROSTRATE CANCER UK would be appreciated.

View attachment 51711

(Keep It Simple System)
If you find an error let me know, it can be fixed.
Some rather unnecessary nasty comments on here. Thanks for making the effort

Genu9

Visit site
Screenshot_20240330-063812_Samsung Notes.jpgWe had one Playing Handicap, we now have 'two' Playing Handicaps.
One for Competitions and the other because they can't figure out how to apply the changes they made to general play. That's progress.

Hopefully there is something on the horizon that will address it, because there'll be lots of head scratching going on.

wjemather

Visit site
View attachment 52607We had one Playing Handicap, we now have 'two' Playing Handicaps.
One for Competitions and the other because they can't figure out how to apply the changes they made to general play. That's progress.

Hopefully there is something on the horizon that will address it, because there'll be lots of head scratching going on.
"...will continue to..."

There has never been a Playing Handicap for General Play; only the Course Handicap.

D-S

Visit site
What is the relevance of PH if a competition is not involved?
Handicaps are about CH.
I agree but it is a bit odd when your CH is 5.893412etc.

I think it would be simpler if your CH was always an unrounded number (e.g. 5.893412) but the rounded version of this (in a sense how many shots you get) was a whole number and always called your Playing Handicap.