Handicap Lookup Post 1st April 2024

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
So basically eight sets of Course data? Sounds like fancy names for colours, "Oh I'm playing off the Gold Tee", for Gold read Yellow and Silver read Grey. :love: 🤷‍♂️

Edit: How big is the scorecard?
I looked at their website, but it shows a very old card of white, yellow, red.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
What do the numbers relate to?
Probably yardage.
Our tees are called 67, 65, 61 and 56 rather than colours which relates to the yardage. But our tee markers have colours which correspond with the card.

Last edited:

Genu9

Visit site
East Devon has 62+, 62, 59, 55 and 49. We aim to go to a numbering system later this year too.

Probably yardage.
Our tees are called 67, 65, 61 and 56 rather than colours which relates to the yardage. But our tee markers have colours which correspond with the card.
Now that makes sense, instead of making up colours to suit numerous tees.👍

D-S

Visit site
What do the numbers relate to?
As BIM correctly says yardage - 62 = 6,200yard course etc.
I have seen this used abroad quite a bit. It properly gets away from the old associations with colours.
It might also help, if used widely, as a useful correlation between different tees at different courses.

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
Whilst making customised versions I've come across many various colours of tees. Assuming there are no guidelines for what Tee Colurs a club uses I just wondered how many different colours are used in UK courses? Is six likely to be the maximum number of tees on an 18 hole course?

Listed below are those I've encountered, so far.

White, Yellow, Red.
Black, White, Yellow, Red.
Black, Blue, White, Yellow, Green, Red.
White, Yellow, Orange, Red, Yellow(L), Orange(L).
We have 8 measured tee combos (5 actual physical tees, and 3 composites made up of combos of 2 tees). Takes up half the card to show the yardages!

image0.png

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have 8 measured tee combos (5 actual physical tees, and 3 composites made up of combos of 2 tees). Takes up half the card to show the yardages!

View attachment 51829
I love this idea. Plenty of variety. Possibly could lose the Gold/Blue as it's very close to the blue....but a huge fan of variety at pretty different lengths

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
I love this idea. Plenty of variety. Possibly could lose the Gold/Blue as it's very close to the blue....but a huge fan of variety at pretty different lengths
Yeah - that is exactly the point of it I think… The course was completely remodelled and re-bunkered, so they gave plenty of options for tees, and is playable for lots of lengths of hitters.

If you choose a tee that is suitable for your length then the bunkers are all in play, and equally if you want to feel like Rory you can move forward a couple and smash it over the hazards.

Having that many options also highlights the change coming - Currently off a Handicap Index of 15.8 I get a Course Handicap of 18 off all tees down till Green, where I get 17, with the same on the rest of the tees.

From April I believe I’ll get CHs of:
  • 19 (Gold & Gold/Blue)
  • 18 (Blue)
  • 17 (Blue/Green)
  • 15 (Green)
  • 14 (Green/Orange)
  • 13 (Orange)
Will make me think more about which tees I want to play off in comps now (was a no brainer to play of Green/Blue for me previously)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
From April I will have CH of

White 6
Yellow 4
Red 3

We have only recently had reds rated for men.

But Red par is reduced by two shots so I will be off 1 in a choice-of-tee medal.

What I look at is the score differentials to see
A: Nearest gross score to give a SD close to my HI
B. Highest SD that still beats the 8th best.

White: 6-over 76 gives SD of 4.5
Yellow: 4-over 74 gives SD of 4.4
Red: 3-over 71 gives SD of 4.0 (Although handicap difference is 5, if I beat White score by 5, I beat SD by 0.5 not zero)

To beat 8th best I need
White 77 - SD 5.3
Yellow 75 - SD 5.2
Red 73 - SD 5.9

7-over off whites to get a cut or 5-over off reds to get a cut. Red is looking like a good option. Slightly smaller cut, but easier to get, it seems to me.
Way more greens in reg and more birdie putts coming up.
Strange that I should come to that conclusion when CR and SR should make all courses the same. :unsure:
Anyway, looking forward to putting theory into practice, being greatly disappointed and proving myself to be wrong. :)

Viewer

Visit site
Have you tried it?

eg Go to 'Fourball Matchplay' and enter a plus Handicap. Try -1.2.

But I don’t play off plus 1.2?! All I need to know is what my handicap is for any given set of tees isn’t it?

Download thing asks for a sign in now anyway

Genu9

Visit site
But I don’t play off plus 1.2?! All I need to know is what my handicap is for any given set of tees isn’t it?

Download thing asks for a sign in now anyway
So people who play off plus don't need to know?

Link V1.7 (final version) will be posted shortly, so no point in downloading V1.6 but I've re-enabled it. (See link in Post #54)

AussieKB

Visit site
In OZ, 4BBB stroke, stableford or mach play, you get full handicap allowance, great feeling standing there and giving people 2-3 shots on a par 3.

Hence 4BBB matchplay is a dying breed, cannot remember playing in my last one.

wjemather

Visit site
In OZ, 4BBB stroke, stableford or mach play, you get full handicap allowance, great feeling standing there and giving people 2-3 shots on a par 3.

Hence 4BBB matchplay is a dying breed, cannot remember playing in my last one.
Why are you using 100% when the GA manual says 90%?

1708081434861.png

AussieKB

Visit site
I am a member of two clubs, neither has a 4BBB matchplay, and my last club also does not have one, when they did it was 100%, not sure if they have changed or when it happened, but I can tell you I play at a lot of clubs on a regular basis, and cannot think of one that does.

I play in a lot of 4BBB Open events and they are all 100%, normally a crazy 48 - 50 points win them, have one at my club in two weeks a 36 hole event, Gold Letter event, also another next month and they are 100% and have been for ten years plus.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I play in a lot of 4BBB Open events and they are all 100%, normally a crazy 48 - 50 points win them, have one at my club in two weeks a 36 hole event, Gold Letter event, also another next month and they are 100% and have been for ten years plus.
Presumably the clubs have not yet recognised they are affiliated to GA and GA has adopted WHS. Perhaps someone who is affected or cares should say something ;):unsure: