new golf rules and fascinating golf facts

B

birdieman

As a club match and handicap secretary I attended a CONGU(Council of national golf unions) seminar last night run by the SGU on the new rules changes in effect from this season.

For those who are interested there are a few significant changes this year and some interesting stats too.

I like many others for singles matchplay felt that ¾ difference in handicap is fairer than full difference. However I was proved wrong. Statistically when a lower handicap player plays a higher handicap player giving ¾ of the handicap difference in shots, the lower handicap player wins 61% of the time. If however the full difference in handicap is given in shots then the lower handicap player still mostly wins but only 55% of the time.
For that reason the Golf Unions want all singles matchplay to be full difference from now on as 55% is fairer than 61%.

The average winning handicap in the UK is 13.3. Remember there are a lot more players in category 2 and 3 than 1 and 4.

A category 1 player (5 and less) is expected to score 2 above their handicap on average.
A category 4 player (21-28) is expected to score 6 above their handicap on average.
Thsi is why the buffer zone is different for each category, the lower the handicap the more consistently the player scores, on average.

CSS rarely comes down early season and late season and is more likely to go up, therefore if you play well early or late season you are more likely to get a bigger handicap cut, thus dispelling the myth that if I play early season I’ll probably get a 0.1. You’re therefore more likely to get a 0.1 mid summer.

For Open competitions there will be a CSS calculated separately for home players and away players. On average home players will score 1.5 shots better than away players thus proving the old adage that playing at home or local knowledge does give you an advantage. If however the away players do actually out-perform the home players (rare) then there is only one CSS. This is only for handicapping, doesn’t affect the prizewinners.

For handicapping arbitrary cutting/increasing is not allowed -eg "If you get to round 4 of this or that knockout cup you will be cut 2 shots" - this type of stuff is nonsense so if your club is doing it, report them.

9 hole competitions – these are being introduced this year. Format is as follows-
• can only be played at your home course
• stableford scoring only
• 9 holes of course allocated and a new SSS calculated for those 9 holes.
• No CSS is calculated on the day
• A neutral 18 points is added to your stableford score to get aqualifying score
• Category 1 players are excluded from these 9 hole events for handicapping purposes but they can compete and win the trophy/prize/cup.
• Cannot be used for allocation of a new handicap or for a lapsed player returning 3 cards for handicap.

The formula is as follows – [exact handicap + 9 hole SSS –(9 hole par x 2)] / 2.
e.g. 12.8 + 69 –(34x2) / 2 = 6.9 so a playing handicap of 7 for the 9 holer.

Who said the rules of golf were complicated???
:D

ps. Bandits are to be put in the stocks medieval style and pelted with rotten fruit....Madandra are you listening?? :rolleyes:

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not complicated at all?????????????

I didn't think you could get cut in matchplay. It's never happened to me or at my club. I know and I dissagree with this that during the winter league some players are getting cut 2 shots. Only to be given them back as soon as the league is over. I dont think this is fair. I dont play in the winter league because of this it's always the bandits who win it.

I shall have to get to grips with cutting the junior's this year, because they will all be looking cut during the summer.

My headache hasn't started yet!

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Think the dual CSS for home and away players for open competitions is a good idea.

Our CSS is always two or three higher for our open. Means my only chance of hitting the buffer zone has gone though!!!

How many clubs will have to update their software as a result of this though???

B

birdieman

Stuart,
For all the clubs using the Club systems software the recent cdrom upgrade has incorporated this.
When you enter the players into the system you have to tick the 'visitor' box for the the non-member away players so the system can process their scores separately.
Should all work ok.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks for that Birdieman. I haven't played in competition yet so haven't come up against this medievil and convoluted form of reckoning yet(at the end of the process do you throw some salt over your shoulder and mutter an incantation as well?)

On another level it clears up the whole cat 1, cat 2 thing for me. Always wondered what that was all about. Cat 8 for me it is then.

I trust these calculations only apply in formal competitions and not between mates in a strokeplay otherwise I owe my other half about 6 months of washing up?

bill

B

birdieman

Divot,
Category 1 players do only get a 1 shot buffer for handicapping, that hasn't changed.
A category 1 player on average scores 2 over his handicap. All that is saying is that you can't expect to play to your handicap frequently...you will have more poor scores than good scores. I am a category 1 player and I have about one good round in 4 probably.

bunkered

Head Pro
Visit site
Birdieman, there is something else you can help me out with, i was having a debate with stuartd early this week, he was saying that you can get your handicap cut in the winter and your club dont have to put it back to what it was at the end of last season, i always thought you went back to original handicap for the new season, i have been trying to get in touch with my match sec this week to confirm this.

bunkered

Head Pro
Visit site
Birdieman, i agree with full diff handicap for singles matchplay, but i also think the max handicap in matchplay should be 18.

B

birdieman

Divot, I can't help with this. Up here we have no formal winter golf so I have no experience of this.
I would be inclined to say Stuart is correct, if you improve as a golfer over the winter then your handicap should reflect this improvement in scoring.
It is the job of the handicap committee to constantly keep an eye on how members are scoring and adjust their handicaps if necessary.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So can you have qualifying comps in the winter

As long as the course is deemed a measured course, yes. From what I've heard CONGU are looking to clamp down on non qualifying competitions.

If a players level of ability is deemed to have improved over any period of time the handicap committee can hold a review. All players should be reviewed each year, although number of members can make this near impossible. Club Systems has a method of identifying players who could be in need of increase/decrease.

I think introducing 2 CSS calculations for Open competitions is a bang on idea.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can get cut in genral play, in other words if you keep putting in scores of 40 plus over the winter the match sec can cut you. I'm not sure but I dont think you can get those shots back.

I cant understand the people who protect their handicap. If I'm going to shoot a good score I try not to blow it. I have always wanted my handicap down as low as possible.
We played in a competition last year it was like a friendly between past captains and invites. The invites won, 2 of us had good scores so we asked the match sec to cut us he did but he didn't want to because it was a friendly.

I kno wpeople who play off 10+ and could easily be lower but they want to keep their handicap up. To me thats a form of cheating.