Rick Shiels and Bryson

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It can’t help that he talks a load of nonsense on every shot. I know he kind of has to in order to make the videos half interesting and so it sounds like he knows what he’s doing.

But to then fat or thin it like a 20 capper 🤷🏼‍♂️

His choice of club is often completely wrong too. Again I think there is a lot of ego involved that he just can’t back up.

Every time I hear. “Right I’ve got 173 so I’m going to hit a trappy draw with a 9 iron.” You just know he’s either hitting it fat or coming up 30 yards short.
That or the 'little chippy' ones that he hooks 30 yards left.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The funny thing is I've played with Shiels (and Finch) and while it was a good few years back at H4H there were times when you thought if he dedicated more time to his game he could have been a competent playing pro at local level. Clearly he doesn't have time to work on anything and I would argue the stuff he did with Dan Greave never got worked on again so apart from content what was the point. These days he is a bang average player thinking he can do more than he can. Whether that is actually what he thinks with these 170 yard 9 irons or it all for the cameras who knows but he's not as good as he thinks these days

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
The funny thing is I've played with Shiels (and Finch) and while it was a good few years back at H4H there were times when you thought if he dedicated more time to his game he could have been a competent playing pro at local level. Clearly he doesn't have time to work on anything and I would argue the stuff he did with Dan Greave never got worked on again so apart from content what was the point. These days he is a bang average player thinking he can do more than he can. Whether that is actually what he thinks with these 170 yard 9 irons or it all for the cameras who knows but he's not as good as he thinks these days

I imagine this was entirely the point of the video. Rick's "game" is all about content, has been for years so whilst he is probably frustrated with where is golf game is right now, he will be far more concerned with his viewing figures and subscriptions.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I imagine this was entirely the point of the video. Rick's "game" is all about content, has been for years so whilst he is probably frustrated with where is golf game is right now, he will be far more concerned with his viewing figures and subscriptions.
Agreed but surely playing a better standard would entice more viewers and longer watches. I'd rather watch Jimmy Bullard who imo is a better non-pro golfer and can give some pros a run for their money

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Agreed but surely playing a better standard would entice more viewers and longer watches. I'd rather watch Jimmy Bullard who imo is a better non-pro golfer and can give some pros a run for their money

I'm not sure. He would have to be so much better at golf for me to want to watch purely for the golf.

Bullard is a quality player, the video when he played with Poulter and Westwood was hilarious, they couldnt believe how good he was.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What does he do apart from YT? If just making a few videos makes you too busy to do anything else, I am in the wrong job! :ROFLMAO:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Say there are 14 par 4s or par 5s on a course, it’s blindingly obvious that being brilliant at irons and short game will make more difference to scores than an extra 10 or 15 yards distance off the tee (assuming you hit it ok already and get it on the fairway). It’s 14 shots vs 58 if you’re hitting par, or 14 out of 80/90/100 for a typical handicap golfer. That’s what they’ve demonstrated, but it didn’t really need demonstration because it’s obvious. However, to MadAdey’s point, golfers are obsessed by distance as demonstrated by all the marketing hype from the manufacturers and it’s disproportionate when compared to the number of drives hit per round vs the rest of the game.

You are right, the key to improving your scores is being better at golf, having a better technique brings more distance off the tee anyway and m better struck irons. But if an average golfer is only going to practice one thing and they already hit straight drives, I think wedges and short game would yield much better results from a scoring perspective than practicing driver in the hope an extra 10 yards off the tee will yield vastly improved scores.
You've hit the nail on the head and that is what I think the point of the video is and why I love it. Being long and straight off the tee for those few shots isn't going to make you shoot lower. Irons, wedges and the old flat stick is what does it. I can go out and have a bad day off the tee ( as long as they are still inbounds) but still score well. But I can't score well if my approach shots or putter is not working.

sjw

Visit site
You've hit the nail on the head and that is what I think the point of the video is and why I love it. Being long and straight off the tee for those few shots isn't going to make you shoot lower. Irons, wedges and the old flat stick is what does it. I can go out and have a bad day off the tee ( as long as they are still inbounds) but still score well. But I can't score well if my approach shots or putter is not working.
Surprised Bryson would agree to do a video wherein the premise is to disprove the theory that distance is king

Visit site
Bryson always comes across well in my opinion. I don’t find many pro golfers to be passionate… In fact, they’re often dull as dishwater… He is anything but!

Rick is properly average. I say it every time I watch his vids - I genuinely don’t know if he is even a single figure golfer.

He can’t drive, he can’t hit irons, he can’t chip and he can’t putt. He has no course management, and his club selection/yardages are way off.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
For the nine holes where Bryson took the drives, if Rick had played entirely on his own, the score would have been higher.
Bryson's driving did bring the score lower. Longer drives did make an improvement.

Similarly on the back nine. Rick taking all the shots would have been a higher score.

Bryson taking any of the shots would likely bring the score down, because he is a far better player overall.

Bit of a non-event really.

The experiment might be more interesting with a 6-handicapper with an average 285 yard drive and a +1 handicapper who drives 260 on average.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
What does he do apart from YT? If just making a few videos makes you too busy to do anything else, I am in the wrong job! :ROFLMAO:

Definitely in the wrong job.

I listened to the podcasts between Rick Shiels and BDS / Good Good / G Horvat and over the course of them there's quite an insight into his operation - can't remember exacts, but something like 12 employed now taking into account the various business avenues and channels for vlogs / reviews and a fairly healthy limited company value, so has become a full time job, coupled with the pressures of life as he's got older (married, kids, boss with other people depending on him) the practice time has dried up. I wasn't a RS fan but have watched more of his videos since the above collabs; breaking 75 is a suitable challenge and probably a good indicator of his current skill level.... I think with the new wave of American Youtubers he finds it hard to complete with their length, skill and youthful energy / charisma but he's managed to adapt, learn and increase his profile when other YT stalwarts have stayed stagnant. I think with the BDS collabs he talks about how there's a YT persona (reasonably clean cut, wholesome) vs his life away from YT (enjoys a few beers etc.) as he thought that would impact subscribers.

It's an evolving landscape though - a few years ago he was getting 6million + views for some videos 30mins or less with less 'polished' editing, now it's around 1m and less for longer well edited videos - but more of them. He's doing well to maintain growth when others appear to be struggling (Dan Hendriksen for example).

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I left a bit of a cutting comment on one of Ricks podcast videos a few months back - they were discussing LIV, and I commented how disappointed I was that he stood in the autograph zone at Centurion but never turned round to acknowledge the kids waiting to say hello.
I was hoping to get a photo of him with the youth, would have topped off a great day for Jamie.

Noticed a message notification on my twitter account the day after. ⬇️⬇️⬇️

I of course did call him, and he was very humble and apologetic. Had a chat with Jamie about his golf and thanked him for reaching out - he certainly didn’t need to.

(He did also say he wasn't aware he was in the autograph zone - which on reflection would be understandable)

He’s built up a fantastic brand in fairness, and is reaping the rewards of being one of golfs YouTube pioneers.

Great to see. 👍

Attachments

• IMG_3382.jpeg
    IMG_3382.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
For the nine holes where Bryson took the drives, if Rick had played entirely on his own, the score would have been higher.
Bryson's driving did bring the score lower. Longer drives did make an improvement.

Similarly on the back nine. Rick taking all the shots would have been a higher score.

Bryson taking any of the shots would likely bring the score down, because he is a far better player overall.

Bit of a non-event really.

The experiment might be more interesting with a 6-handicapper with an average 285 yard drive and a +1 handicapper who drives 260 on average.
if you look at it from a different angle, rick could have scored way lower if his wedges and putting was better.

I get what you mean about doing it with different golfers. it would be interesting to see a scratch golfer and an average 18 handicapper do a similar thing. Play 18 on their own to get a standard score for both on the course, then go back out and then they hit the tee shots for each other. I am sure the scratch golfer would be within a few shots of par, but the 18 handicapper would still be up in the high 80s.

stevied

Visit site
if you look at it from a different angle, rick could have scored way lower if his wedges and putting was better.

I get what you mean about doing it with different golfers. it would be interesting to see a scratch golfer and an average 18 handicapper do a similar thing. Play 18 on their own to get a standard score for both on the course, then go back out and then they hit the tee shots for each other. I am sure the scratch golfer would be within a few shots of par, but the 18 handicapper would still be up in the high 80s.
For a single round, who knows but over the course of a season the 18 will trend down and scratch will go up. No doubt it.

Bucktaylor64

Medal Winner
Visit site
Rick's short game in his latest video with Fleetwood should be enough to show anyone how important that part of the game is.
You just know his wedge play is going to let hi down! I'd take most of the other YouTube pros to beat Rick! James Robinson, Mark Crossfield and Peter Finch definitely!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

I wouldn’t say he’s a bang average player, but he is a bang average professional from a playing perspective. Probably a 2/3 handicap by his own admission. He used to be decent and had some good finishes in local pga events but I guess work has taken over.

I don’t know him but a good friend of mine at the club is close to him and (I’ve said this on here before) always says how he doesn’t stop. Works his absolute socks off and when he wants to do something, he’ll do it with bells on. My mate also spoke about Guy who works for him. Whilst he comes across as marmite (I actually like him) , he’s clever and a big driving force behind the brand.

Ultimately Shiels is a very down to earth nice bloke (as Mel’s post shows). To go from reviewing clubs on a driving range to building a multi million £ brand, travelling the world, employing a dozen people is no mean feat. As much as I keep telling my step son (who wants to be a YouTuber - like a lot of kids) making a living out of YouTube isn’t easy, otherwise we’d all be doing it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wouldn’t say he’s a bang average player, but he is a bang average professional from a playing perspective. Probably a 2/3 handicap by his own admission. He used to be decent and had some good finishes in local pga events but I guess work has taken over.

I don’t know him but a good friend of mine at the club is close to him and (I’ve said this on here before) always says how he doesn’t stop. Works his absolute socks off and when he wants to do something, he’ll do it with bells on. My mate also spoke about Guy who works for him. Whilst he comes across as marmite (I actually like him) , he’s clever and a big driving force behind the brand.

Ultimately Shiels is a very down to earth nice bloke (as Mel’s post shows). To go from reviewing clubs on a driving range to building a multi million £ brand, travelling the world, employing a dozen people is no mean feat. As much as I keep telling my step son (who wants to be a YouTuber - like a lot of kids) making a living out of YouTube isn’t easy, otherwise we’d all be doing it.
Don't get me wrong Shiels and Finch were absolutely top drawer to play with and they were really friendly and chatty as we went round and then afterwards in the clubhouse where Shiels managed to win some Dunlop Loco balls in the H4H prize draw!! Our GM knows them bith from their college days with Matt Fryer and he says Finch had the greatest playing potential at the time but Shiels would find a way to get it round. I understand what he is/has done with the brand and admire him for finding a niche in the Youtube world to make a living but I don't think he's a very competent from a playing professional perspective these days although I accept there are mitigating circumstances for that

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't get me wrong Shiels and Finch were absolutely top drawer to play with and they were really friendly and chatty as we went round and then afterwards in the clubhouse where Shiels managed to win some Dunlop Loco balls in the H4H prize draw!! Our GM knows them bith from their college days with Matt Fryer and he says Finch had the greatest playing potential at the time but Shiels would find a way to get it round. I understand what he is/has done with the brand and admire him for finding a niche in the Youtube world to make a living but I don't think he's a very competent from a playing professional perspective these days although I accept there are mitigating circumstances for that

To be fair most of us would give our life savings to play as bad as rick