Rick Shiels and Bryson

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Agreed but surely playing a better standard would entice more viewers and longer watches. I'd rather watch Jimmy Bullard who imo is a better non-pro golfer and can give some pros a run for their money
The guy has 2.7m followers, not 490.
His content or viewing figures has never really been based on his ability. He started by basically lying about how far he could hit it at The Trafford centre with a track man that must have been on a runway and always downhill.
The fact he still gets rated as a couch by GM and other outlets is hilarious as him and finch gave up Their centre of excellence the second they realised where the money was.

Hes done a cracking job finding his spot, and Has admitted he’d like to play better, but it won’t help his success one dot.

stevied

Visit site
Let's rephrase then. Majority of people having lessons would take being as "bad" as rick
Not after watching the Fleetwood video they wouldn't. Someone said he chips like a 20 handicapper, but that's an insult to twenty handicappers. Life savings to having lessons is quite a leap.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was Rick actually a qualified PGA pro at one point?
Imagine having lessons from a bloke who’d shoot the 15th best gross score in your monthly medal 😂

Claude Harmon the 3rd is one of the best coaches in the world

His handicap is 12.

There is a lot of proof now that some of the best coaches aren't actually the best players

Going to a tour pro for a lesson won't always work. Some are terrible coaches

It's a different skill

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Imagine having lessons from a bloke who’d shoot the 15th best gross score in your monthly medal 😂
He qualified as a PGA Pro in around 2011 I believe. It does make me wonder - you only need to be below 4 handicap to do that, right? Do they never have reassessments to check that you're still of the required standard? Can you get to 3 handicap, become a PGA Pro, and then retain that title forever even if you game balloons out to a double figure handicap standard? Perhaps you should have to do an assessment every 5 or 10 years.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Liam from Golfmates went to Rick for a lesson, and that was the trigger for setting up his (Liams) You Tube channel.

I expect there are hundreds of players watching Rick who’ve had some coaching from him, he often talks about his coaching days in his vids.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He qualified as a PGA Pro in around 2011 I believe. It does make me wonder - you only need to be below 4 handicap to do that, right? Do they never have reassessments to check that you're still of the required standard? Can you get to 3 handicap, become a PGA Pro, and then retain that title forever even if you game balloons out to a double figure handicap standard? Perhaps you should have to do an assessment every 5 or 10 years.
As has been said, coaching and playing are very different things. In football terms, Roy Hodgson isn't getting a game any time soon but he knows how to coach a team and individual players. I've used Hodgson as age wise he is at the far end of the spectrum but it works for most coaches in the game. Pep's legs will have gone but you would want him coaching your team.

I've never wanted to know how good a pro giving me a lesson is out on the course. Can they fix what they need to fix? That is the key point.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As has been said, coaching and playing are very different things. In football terms, Roy Hodgson isn't getting a game any time soon but he knows how to coach a team and individual players. I've used Hodgson as age wise he is at the far end of the spectrum but it works for most coaches in the game. Pep's legs will have gone but you would want him coaching your team.

I've never wanted to know how good a pro giving me a lesson is out on the course. Can they fix what they need to fix? That is the key point.
Sure, but why does the limit of 4 handicap or below exist for it then? While that criteria exists, surely it should be checked periodically. Or scrap it and make the criteria different, i.e. just an assessment of your coaching ability.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sure, but why does the limit of 4 handicap or below exist for it then? While that criteria exists, surely it should be checked periodically. Or scrap it and make the criteria different, i.e. just an assessment of your coaching ability.
Personally, I think the latter is okay. In the multiple sports either I've played or my son played (and I watched), none of the coaches were there based on playing ability. You get your coaching badges / qualifications by your ability to coach. Pretty obvious when you think about it. I'm not sure why golf does it this way, other than the usual golf answer 'it's how we have always done it' 🤷‍♀️

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This is actually becoming a thing when you can go for lessons with people outside the pga umbrella, have a coaching qualification from elsewhere

I mean as a pga pro you learn to fix golf clubs don't you? Your telling me someone couldn't be a 30 handicapper but fix clubs lol

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
He used to be a successful coach full time out of Trafford Golf Centre and then Prairie Sports near Burnley before going more into Youtube full time

Was he at first though?

He has said that to generate interest he would offer tips on peoples online swing videos as he was quiet. He only started getting very busy with the coaching when he started doing the Youtube videos, people would see him online and want to go for a lesson with him.

There's no doubting he nailed golf YouTube and paved the way for all those who have followed.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was he at first though?

He has said that to generate interest he would offer tips on peoples online swing videos as he was quiet. He only started getting very busy with the coaching when he started doing the Youtube videos, people would see him online and want to go for a lesson with him.

There's no doubting he nailed golf YouTube and paved the way for all those who have followed.

Got to feel for crossfield, he was the original youtuber. He paved the way for shiels but isn't as popular

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
My take is its a bit like companies liking people to have a degree for a graduation scheme when the degree is irrelevant. It can shiw a drive and commitment to it.

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
He used to be a successful coach full time out of Trafford Golf Centre and then Prairie Sports near Burnley before going more into Youtube full time
I'm pretty sure his recognition as a coach came after his YouTube success. The sceptic in me would suggest one media outlet jumped on the success of another.....