Rick Shiels and Bryson

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Got to feel for crossfield, he was the original youtuber. He paved the way for shiels but isn't as popular

Rick was growing on Youtube just as I was picking up the game really, remember he was putting out a video a day nearly alongside Pete Finch so not 100% sure who was the real pioneer. He really is the standout in terms of subscribers though, wonder how Finch really feels about it as they were so close. Shiels/Finch/Carter were all on the same PGA course werent they?

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Rick was growing on Youtube just as I was picking up the game really, remember he was putting out a video a day nearly alongside Pete Finch so not 100% sure who was the real pioneer. He really is the standout in terms of subscribers though, wonder how Finch really feels about it as they were so close. Shiels/Finch/Carter were all on the same PGA course werent they?
I think Shields is actually the worst of the lot. His basically just a sale person. I respect him and his team for getting there, hut imo Crossfield was the better at the start for giving genuine tips and I like finch's open qualifying attempts.

That being said, I watch more if shields as he gets in the bmcourses I prefer.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

They have been on podcasts together.. finch is big in his own right but is focusing more on competing it seems

I remember getting a r15 driver and googling reviews of it .. then shiels came up on YouTube .. that's how I discovered him

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I don't know his earnings from the time at Trafford and Prairie Sports but I'd argue he made enough each month to live on and support his family
You said successful.

Earning a standard wage to support your family isnt to be sniffed at of course, but it isn't success, it's part of the rat race we are all in.

He is a successful YouTuber, but was a run of the mill coach. He overlapped both for a while at prairie and then realised where the money was.

That being said, maybe if he was better at golf he'd have earned more as a coach and not just been a run of the mill golf assistant....

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know his earnings from the time at Trafford and Prairie Sports but I'd argue he made enough each month to live on and support his family

James Robinson, the ex tour pro not the loud one. Was scraping by on tour, gave up his card and now has a successful coaching business

How long would shield be supporting his family on coaching wage? Yet smashing YouTube whilst the sun is shinning is surely a way to set yourself up for a nice early retirement whilst playing some of the best courses with tour pros

HeftyHacker

Visit site

Finch has openly admitted (ironically on a Golf Life video i think) that the reason he started Youtube was for "cold, hard, cash" after seeing how busy Rick's diary at Trafford Golf Centre had become since he'd started the Youtube videos. In turn, Rick has said that he saw the numbers that Crossfield was getting and how good it must have been for Mark's coaching business so decided to film some videos in his downtime.

Crossfield is arguably the pioneer but i just really couldn't warm to him at all.

My mate was having a lesson with James Robinson (the ex-tour pro) when his video playing Hoylake with Rick went live and said James had to turn his phone off mid-lesson as it wouldn't stop buzzing and lighting up. James has told me it's done wonders for the coaching side of his business.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sure, but why does the limit of 4 handicap or below exist for it then? While that criteria exists, surely it should be checked periodically. Or scrap it and make the criteria different, i.e. just an assessment of your coaching ability.
Reminds me of the (old) criteria to be a PTI in the RAF - you needed to be County standard in 2 sports to join up. This was to (mainly) teach circuits and pose in tight white vest and shorts :ROFLMAO: