Takomo or Caley Irons

BigTuna

Visit site
As a higher handicap player who wants some new irons but doesn't want to spend £1000+ to player 8 or 9 times a year but wants something new and forgiving, I keep seeing reviews on YouTube of both of these brands so just wondering if there are any other players in the same position that uses either of these clubs?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There was a big hoo-ha recently about Caley irons not being what they say they are, and not being of the advertised quality. Takomo seem to get good reviews though. I know Peter Finch on YouTube likes them.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a higher handicap player who wants some new irons but doesn't want to spend £1000+ to player 8 or 9 times a year but wants something new and forgiving, I keep seeing reviews on YouTube of both of these brands so just wondering if there are any other players in the same position that uses either of these clubs?
If you're only playing that little , go second hand.

BigTuna

Visit site
If you're only playing that little , go second hand.
Unless I'm looking in the wrong places, 2nd hand ones I tend to find of the more traditional brands are around the same prices of these new ones, and are obviously not in the same new condition in terms of heads or grips etc so still potentially need to end up spending more money anyway.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unless I'm looking in the wrong places, 2nd hand ones I tend to find of the more traditional brands are around the same prices of these new ones, and are obviously not in the same new condition in terms of heads or grips etc so still potentially need to end up spending more money anyway.
So the forgiveness iron from Takomo is £420 according to their website. Go on Golfbidder and you can get a set of Pings, TaylorMade, Callaway that are only 5 years old and cost you nearer £300. And you're know they're proven brands.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you looked on golfbidder?
Don't know what set your after or budget but there some nice cobra forged tec irons for under 500

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Takomo irons look nice. Just be aware they won’t resell well. I’ve always like the look of the cb model.

Alternatively, ‘golf clubs for cash’, ‘golfbidder’ eBay and get yourself a decent set of Callaway , Mizuno etc etc.

sjw

Visit site
Why would you? Are you going to refurb them to new? Grips are cheap, factor it in, get a known quantity second hand set

BigTuna

Visit site
So the forgiveness iron from Takomo is £420 according to their website. Go on Golfbidder and you can get a set of Pings, TaylorMade, Callaway that are only 5 years old and cost you nearer £300. And you're know they're proven brands.
I’ll have to have a better look, but last time I did I couldn’t seem to find much that was sub £400.

Plus I’m tall(6’4”) so need the shafts to be an inch or so longer, which doesn’t help the search. It’s only £9 or so to get the Takomos in that longer shaft….

The Fader

Visit site
Sub 70 is perhaps another one to consider, depending where you are there may be try options.

Most thorough fitting I've ever had was at Sub70. You just have to go to Hereford!

Quality is fine in my opinion. I was a long time Bridgestone user and Sub70 stacks up well against them.

You'll probably find that the moulds are made and production done for these direct to consumer brands in the same Chinese factories
as the major brands.

Golf is just like everything else - stick a brand name on - add a zero to the price!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’ll have to have a better look, but last time I did I couldn’t seem to find much that was sub £400.

Plus I’m tall(6’4”) so need the shafts to be an inch or so longer, which doesn’t help the search. It’s only £9 or so to get the Takomos in that longer shaft….
If you want to look at Golfbidder you can customise the search to look for longer than standard

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think it’s fair to say the OP has got his/her heart set on new bats.

I’ve heard good things about sub70, seen some good reviews from the likes of Peter finch and Dan Hendrickson, it’s worth finding them on YouTube to watch the fitting process. They’re in Hereford and do the fittings there, think you’re looking at about 400-500 depending what you go for.

Only downside with these sort of clubs is that if you come to sell them in a few years (because you’ve become a better player, swing has changed etc), they’ll have lost a fair bit of value.

Compare that with say a second hand set of Taylormade m2 irons. I bought mine new in 2019 for £379, sold them 2 years ago for £300, and you’ll still pay about that for a used set now.

BigTuna

Visit site
I think it’s fair to say the OP has got his/her heart set on new bats.

I’ve heard good things about sub70, seen some good reviews from the likes of Peter finch and Dan Hendrickson, it’s worth finding them on YouTube to watch the fitting process. They’re in Hereford and do the fittings there, think you’re looking at about 400-500 depending what you go for.

Only downside with these sort of clubs is that if you come to sell them in a few years (because you’ve become a better player, swing has changed etc), they’ll have lost a fair bit of value.

Compare that with say a second hand set of Taylormade m2 irons. I bought mine new in 2019 for £379, sold them 2 years ago for £300, and you’ll still pay about that for a used set now.
New would be nice of course but I'm not against 2nd hand, I'm just struggling to find the more forgiving clubs, in good condition, with a +1" length shaft for the similar price as the new ones. Had a look on GB last night and couldn't see anything to filter by shaft length. Golfclubs4cash you can do that, but the M2's I found for £380 are a stiff flex shaft which I know wouldn't suit my game.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
New would be nice of course but I'm not against 2nd hand, I'm just struggling to find the more forgiving clubs, in good condition, with a +1" length shaft for the similar price as the new ones. Had a look on GB last night and couldn't see anything to filter by shaft length. Golfclubs4cash you can do that, but the M2's I found for £380 are a stiff flex shaft which I know wouldn't suit my game.
You could try emailing them 👍

peld

Visit site
another supporter of Sub70 here

actually, im 6' 4" and have my set of Sub70s 699s irons (5-GW) and 2 hybrids in the garage for sale - all +1.5" - dm me if you are interested

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Benross are a good option ... quality clubs at a reasonable price. You should be able to get a good condition second hand fairly recent set for £200 to £250.