Complaints about other players handicaps

LizAig

Visit site
What are the rules for complaining about other people’s handicaps at your club? Is there an England Golf rule and/or a club rule? At my club the women complain a lot, especially about new players and juniors, and they can make the game unpleasant for improving players. The handicap team do put players down when needed but not as much as before WHS and that gets complained about a lot. a letter was recently sent to committee about a ladies handicap but I felt that wasn’t the right procedure _ should that person just have spoken to the handicap team? .

D-S

Visit site
You simply must put the facts to the Handicap Committee in whichever format you wish. They then can choose to review that player’s handicap at any time or wait until the annual review. The more compelling the case, the more likely the action.
If a player is upset about a review to their handicap they can, once, the appeal process has been exhausted at their own club, appeal to the County. This might or might not have a financial cost attached.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
What are the rules for complaining about other people’s handicaps at your club? Is there an England Golf rule and/or a club rule? At my club the women complain a lot, especially about new players and juniors, and they can make the game unpleasant for improving players. The handicap team do put players down when needed but not as much as before WHS and that gets complained about a lot. a letter was recently sent to committee about a ladies handicap but I felt that wasn’t the right procedure _ should that person just have spoken to the handicap team? .

Why would lady members get upset by the handicap of a junior golfer?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As D-S says. The Handicap Committee is the place to start. EG will only get involved if it is referred to the County and they can't resolve it

wjemather

Visit site
Anyone can request a review of any other players handicap by submitting a request to the player's handicap committee; they should include evidence to support the request.

New players and juniors are notoriously rapid improvers, and often in cycles of big leaps forward and small regressions. As such, it's simply very difficult for any handicap system to keep pace naturally, or for committees to apply additional reductions without going too far.

NearHull

Visit site
Anyone can request a review of any other players handicap by submitting a request to the player's handicap committee; they should include evidence to support the request.

New players and juniors are notoriously rapid improvers, and often in cycles of big leaps forward and small regressions. As such, it's simply very difficult for any handicap system to keep pace naturally, or for committees to apply additional reductions without going too far.
I’ve highlighted the comment above to emphasise its importance. We get a complaints made to our Handicaps Committee along the lines of “xxxxxxxx, his handicap is way too high and you should look at him”.

It’s as if all the complainant needs to do is to identify a member and the Handicaps Committee is supposed to run around and sort it all out.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Does anyone ever complain that another player's handicap is too low?

Funnily enough, we have a guy who, until his game caught up with him, was a classic case of a golfer with a vanity handicap. So much so, that he was reported by two of our swindle to the handicap secretary for putting in cards which did not resemble the round he had actually played.

In one case, in a team event (in which he did not even complete four or five holes) he returned a card for handicap purposes which was at least eleven strokes better than it realistically could have been. I know, because I marked the team card that day.

His sole aim was to play representative golf - something his game is nowhere near good enough to merit.

gopher99

Visit site
I complain about my handicap all the time, unfortunately it is what it is and I have to deal with that come good or bad.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Does anyone ever complain that another player's handicap is too low?
I have a mate whose handicap is at least 5 shots too low at our home course. He plays away at links courses and puts in cards, but these favour his game massively cf our pokey parkland.
It's kind of amusing, except when playing a 4ball game of some kind where he is way off the pace and spoils it for everyone.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yes peer review is a very important part of WHS.... nothing wrong with that at all!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If their handicaps higher than yours their a bandit.
If it’s lower they are an excellent player.
Its that simple.😳😉

Have a little moan but don’t be putting letters in !

Bobthesock

Visit site
I have a mate whose handicap is at least 5 shots too low at our home course. He plays away at links courses and puts in cards, but these favour his game massively cf our pokey parkland.
It's kind of amusing, except when playing a 4ball game of some kind where he is way off the pace and spoils it for everyone.
What links courses does he play? I'm about 5 shots worse on average at links courses compared to my parkland course!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Envy is a terrible thing. We have a couple of decent junior ladies and some new members who came via our academy and got their first handicaps and are now continuing to improve and so winning a fair few comps. I thought men were bad for moaning about "bandits" but some of the comments I've heard in the last few weeks are shocking. The ironic thing is they are putting in cards not only in comps but for general play so there is an audit trail of their improvement and the handicap is being adjusted accordingly. Unless there is some very compelling evidence of manipulation I would let the handicap secretary and the WHS do their thing